Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 8 Jan 2019.

1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Here's an account of the root canal dental treatment that's just been carried out on 11 year old male Sumatran tiger, Fabi:
    Open wide and say Grr...

2. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A quick visit today....;
    • Looks like a new Lar Gibbon house is being erected on the far side of Pelican lake.
    • Red Ruffed Lemurs house is blacked out to encourage nesting/breeding.
    • I could see 2 European Storks in off show ABC area, 2 Black necked swans & 1 Cassowary.
    • Stilts have been added to Cottage aviary.
    • Meerkat house with new viewing domes is nicely done.
    • New Amphibian Ark tanks look good.
    • Ex Lechwe Redwoods path now closed off.
    • An area behind the restaurant toilets next to the Rhea paddock is being worked on - my guess is that it will be the site of a new Tapir/Capybara house?
    • Lots of tree felling work in Lion enclosure.
    I have a feeling but no proof that staff moral re. TB issues is quite low?

Brum likes this.
  3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree that the morale would be low, especially with the culling of the lechwe, the death of the lions, and not being able to replace dead animals, or bring in fresh blood. I don't want to presume too much but the mammal department in particular must be feeling the strain! :(

TNT and TriUK like this.
  4. TriUK

The monitor in Reptile Tropics has gone off show, as have the Utiliia Skinks. A single (v small) common iguana (?) is in the monitor exhibit.

2 other tanks are also 'bare' of animals & foliage.

There are now only 2 snapping turtles in with the Salty croc?

5. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Something was afoot with the nocturnal house today with a barrier and bags of 'stuff' outside. I then saw a bird keeper going in there. Imagination going into overdrive, I had visions of the kiwi moving in! It's possible isn't it, especially if the Savannah has been mothballed and there's no urgent need to demolish the nocturnal house.

Also on the nocturnal front, the pygmy slow loris window is now completely covered with black boards with viewing holes. There's a bit more natural light in there as a cover over the ceiling window has been removed. I failed to see the loris today though.

I'll post some photos in the gallery.

TriUK and Brum like this.
  6. TriUK

I reckon the zoo have had to eat into the money they'd set aside for the Savannah to pay for the TB testing procedures and anti-badger fencing; ironic actually considering I was one of the visitors who participated in the badger watch evenings in the hide years ago!
    Gigit - I reckon you may have a valid suspicion re. the Kiwi here!
    The zoo management definitely need to locate some animals in the old Bison/Anoa enclosure (Rhea, Geese or Soay sheep) and at least improve the signage explaining the empty exhibits.

7. Brum

Fingers crossed! :) My "every few years" trip to Torbay was going to be put off until next year but if the kiwi goes on-show then I may reconsider! :p

pipaluk and Gigit like this.
  8. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I went to a badger watch evening too! That was before I had a spell of them digging up my garden:eek:

I suspected that the takin were moving to the old anoa enclosure after they built that tor in it. But that must be getting on for a year ago now. Extra electric fencing has been installed since then so it may still happen.

It would be good if they did more to promote the kiwi. The odd people who notice his fuzzy image on the video screen usually think he's in the toucan nesting box so there's not a lot of education going on!

9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

TriUK, 14556, Kifaru Bwana and 2 others like this.
  10. TriUK

Good news!

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

At the moment, and without asking anybody, it looks as though it could be something to do with the restaurant kitchen.

12. TriUK

Off to PZ this morning - anyone want me to check on anything?

13. TriUK

The vegetation that stood between the Orang lake and the playground/Bongos has been cleared and I fear (it's a totally unfounded fear with no evidence) is that it's one of the places selected for a dinosaur or lego statue?

14. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Fear not - possibly ;) I posted a photo of this a few days ago, currently on page 6 of the Gallery, and commented that I suspected it was to allow access for machinery when the fallen tree trunks are removed from the orang island and it is revamped. I think they may have to build a temporary bridge. I could, of course, be wrong but I hope not!

TriUK likes this.
  15. TriUK

I think you've nailed it Gigit - that makes perfect sense now re. the space needed for machinery to erect the Orang climbing structures. Would be nice if they managed to finally add a Gibbon mix - I know they had (Naomi?), the single female, but a group would look great in that space [similar to Durrell].

16. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

When Naomi lived in that house previously, they had plans for her and her Lar gibbon companion, Blondie, to share the large orang island. I believe it didn't work out because they couldn't find a way to prevent the orangs also using a bridge between the island and the gibbon house.

17. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Start planning your trips to Paignton! I heard a whisper that not only is the Kiwi moving to the Nocturnal House, but so is Bruce the Echidna! I don't know the timescale except that work is currently going on in the House.

18. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Is that the tiny nocturnal house at the back of where the meerkats used to be or are they building a new one ?

19. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Good news about the kiwi, but I'm not so sure about Bruce: he seems well settled in his current enclosure and he is easy to see in the afternoon - whereas every echidna I have encountered in a nocturnal house has been a disappointment. I hope they can add the pygmy slow lorises too.

Crowthorne, pipaluk and Brum like this.
  20. Brum

I'm hoping that they've taken into account the poor lighting so you can actually see the inhabitants! And I agree, moving Bruce seems pointless as e seems happy enough.

In a mixed exhibit with the mouse deer, if they still have it... A very intelligent member of this forum may have foreseen this many moons ago. ;):)

pipaluk and TriUK like this.