Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Thoughts On Chester

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Brum, 22 Aug 2019.

1. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've just returned from a two day visit to Chester, my first in five(?) years, and thought I'd share some thoughts and observations.

First things first, I genuinely don't understand how they can not sell a two day ticket, or at the very least give a discount for the second day. Over 13 hours spent in the zoo we covered everything bar the boat ride in Islands due to queues, but it took us until nearly the end of the second day... It was worth every penny but at over 50 pound for two people then a discount the following day would be appreciated. If Monsoon Forest had been open then I'm fairly certain we'd have had to skip certain parts of the zoo.

Madagascar is a bit underwhelming as it stands, an absolutely huge space with relatively few lemurs of three species in the walkthrough and side exhibits for fossa and black lemur. The fossa enclosure is the biggest I've seen for the species and is the highlight, but the area lacks a true knock out species at the moment... Nice enough planting, just not enough animals. There's room for a vivarium or two, and a couple of hardy birds (to fend off the lemurs) would do wonders for the atmosphere.

Islands was the big one for my visit though, even with Monsoon Forest closed it was still the most anticipated part for me to see. I'll be honest with you, some of the mock rock is terrible, Colchester-levels of it. But I thought the human artefacts and theming in general was really well done and all the enclosures were above average to excellent and there are some exciting species as well. Highlights were the tree kangaroo/pademelons, green magpies, sun bears and, surprisingly, the banteng (their enclosure is probably the worst, and even that isn't terrible) as the male was rubbing his head on everything and basically showing who was boss. Fantastic to see. The only complaint I can really make is there just aren't enough animals at the moment, which will hopefully be rectified with the re-opening of Monsoon Forest.

The Butterfly House was a first for me, I've been several times since it has been there but I've never had the inclination or time on previous visits as butterflies are pretty damn boring in my opinion, especially at somewhere like Chester. This time I ventured in because my pain in the ar*e, sorry, daughter, wanted to see it. Bad idea! The paths are narrow and the crowds ridiculous. It's not a small building but it was just too claustrophobic, and I don't even have a problem with crowds, in fact I thrive in a crowd. ;) Glad I saw it, won't be going back in for a while...

The only other major addition since my last visit is the Aye-aye corridor, which is just too dark. You can see into the enclosures but unfortunately you can't see anything in the corridor outside. I'm pretty sure that I nearly kidnapped a random child whilst abandoning my own at one point! But seeing Aye-ayes is always a treat.

The rest of the zoo was as great as usual with other highlights being the giant otter pup sighting, Boelen's pythons, a cloud rat head, a very friendly striped squirrel who came up for a tummy rub, my daughters reaction to the monkey house (loving it!), so many baby animals, the rhino complex, and meeting up with zoospud for a pint and a chat. Another highlight is the fact the zoo is flat, after two days of solid walking both of our legs are fine. If we go to Dudley my daughter moans for hours afterwards because of all the hills.

A really great two visits, can't wait to get back and hopefully see Monsoon Forest in all it glory. :)

Last edited: 22 Aug 2019
    Ned, Fallax, TNT and 9 others like this.
  2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Glad you had a good time!

Not sure if you're aware but the Banteng also have a large grass paddock that they use out of hours - it's visible on Google Maps just to the north of the Banteng House.

I think this may be a summer holidays thing - usually it's not too bad. Certainly if you found this one claustrophobic I wouldn't recommend the butterfly houses at London, Bristol or Colchester..! :D

Also, boring? Wash your mouth out young man... ;)

Thinking about it, you're probably actually a very unusual visitor - the Venn diagram of 'have a small child' and 'wants to see absolutely everything' probably doesn't have too big a central zone - but I do think a 2-day ticket will have to become a thing before long.

Did you manage a muntjac sighting?

Brum likes this.
  3. Brum

Just had a look, a definite improvement. :)

Colchester's is awful, it makes my bedroom look spacious. The stocking level at Chester is far better though. Never had a problem at Bristol, never visited London's so I'll take your word for it... ;)

I'm not the only zoo enthusiast who feels that way, not mentioning names but he may or may not be the chairman of the IZES! :p

I think that it'll probably happen once Grasslands opens. But for now if they just gave you a discount upon producing a receipt would be a great boost, and I don't think they'd lose too much for the reason you stated above, I'm in a minority.

Alas no, :( but I can't complain as pretty much everything else (bar anteaters) we wanted to see showed well enough. :)

Last edited: 22 Aug 2019
  4. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Pah, what does he know...

Drat. Well, something for next time I suppose! :)

Brum likes this.
  5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

So you didn't see or hear the stream frogs in the butterfly house!!

I believe the plan was for herp exhibits in Madagascar but if said person in charge doesn't turn up at planning meeting except the first and last can you really be surprised that there are none!

jde7582 and Brum like this.
  6. Brum

With the amount of people in there I could barely hear myself think. let alone anything else. :p

I did think it appeared to be a wasted opportunity, it just screams out for some mantellas or chameleons at least.

7. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You're a much braver man than I visiting Chester in the summer hols. Although this time of year is my 'close season' for zoo visiting in general, Chester is rammed for much of the time these days. Perhaps there's your answer as to why they aren't offering discounts on a second day.

As a member my visits are rarely longer than three hours, and usually targeted at particular exhibits. I can't remember the last time I spent the whole day there and tried to see everything and I can well imagine it has become a challenge.

I think Madagascar is going to need bedding in time to settle down. Islands is still going through that process, but even now looks so much better than it did for the first year or two.

Brum likes this.
  8. Brum

To be fair the crowds were okay, we had the problem in the butterfly house and getting on the boats, but, other than a queue at the bat house (due to staff taking your photo! :confused: ) we did quite well really. Having average weather probably helped thin the crowds out as well.

If I lived closer then I'd definitely buy a membership, but coming from Birmingham, and it being my daughters first visit, we decided to allocate the two days so she could see everything. On return trips I can be a bit more picky since she'll know what what she does and doesn't like. For example, we won't be going in the butterfly house for a while... :p

9. taun

taun Well-Known Member

On a quiet winters day the butterfly house is a lovely break ;)

Brum likes this.
  10. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I could have written those three paragraphs myself ! :)

11. redstarsmith

redstarsmith Well-Known Member

Have to agree with the point above about the Zoo’s need to offer discounted two day ticket. I can’t see them needing to do that with current visitor numbers.

I also agree with with the point about Madagascar being underwhelming. Poorest viewing experience of a Lemur walkthrough exhibit I’ve been through. Curraghs in the Isle Of Man have opened their Lemur walkthrough this year at a fraction of the cost and that was a better experience.

Brum likes this.
  12. redstarsmith

redstarsmith Well-Known Member

I really wish I hadn’t left my last post on a negative without saying how much I love Chester Zoo. Whilst I have wishes for what it should have (Gorilla) or what it should do, I feel that it has the best balance and overall package for the visitor and animal of any Zoo I’ve been to. I just wish I lived on the same Island so I could visit more. Popped by for a coffee late yesterday afternoon and it was great. I like to watch the animals visible around the perimeter like the Black Rhino at the car park entrance.

Brum likes this.
  13. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can confirm, London's butterfly house..... is terrible, and crowded.

I've only visited Chester once, and on that trip I also went to Douglas on the Isle of Man!

14. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hello, Brum. It may be worthwhile getting an annual season ticket, which gets free entry to other zoos.

Brum likes this.
  15. Daubentoniidae

Daubentoniidae Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They are planning to get in some sifakas next year which would be a really cool (as are Bristol). I agree that the Fossa exhibit is definitely the highlight of Madagascar at the moment because it's just such a big exhibit, we watch one being very active when we visited. I think that the Lemur exhibits are quite large compared to what you usually see at e.g. London or Marwell but maybe need just a few more individuals / species.

I also visited for two days in a row which was very enjoyable - the highlight was probably being so close to the Black Rhinos that you could stroke them (not that I did) and seeing a Tree Kangaroo for the first time as well as Sun Bears actually being awake rather than in Edinburgh where they just seem to sleep all day. Other areas include the Babirusa, Bush Dogs, Jaguars and the Giant Otters. Overall, a very good two days.

Kifaru Bwana and Brum like this.
  16. Brum

A photo of one of the highlights from day one...
    zoo beer.jpg

17. Brum

And the second day... :p
    zoo beer 2.jpg

leiclad20 and dublinlion like this.