Join our zoo community

4D Experience.... gone?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by devilfish, 3 Mar 2017.

1. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

When passing through Heathrow airport I picked up some brochures of the aquarium showing a 'new for 2016' attraction on the map near the end of the visitor route - an augmented reality experience based on the BBC series Frozen Planet. Polar bears are advertised on the front and inside the brochure, and again alongside orcas on the map. Given Sea World's emphasis on displaying orcas only like this in the future, and growing calls for zoos to replace live animals with displays like these, I was interested to hear more about this exhibit. I asked my sister, who visited last week, but she said there was no trace of the experience at all. The webpage for the experience has been removed from the website (although a cached version states "The Frozen Planet: Face to Face experience is a permanent addition to the SEA LIFE London Aquarium") and it sounds like it'll be replaced by a new jellyfish exhibit. It's good news for most of us that this space will be used to display live animals instead, but did anyone happen to see this exhibit?

On a different note, is the new penguin enclosure a significant improvement on the last one?

Thanks!