Join our zoo community

5 Most Mysterious & Unexplained Sea Creatures

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by dcpandafan, 9 Jan 2016.

1. dcpandafan

dcpandafan Well-Known Member

5 Most Mysterious & Unexplained Sea Creatures

This is a video from one of my favorite youtubers, Tops5s. I don't know if this is the right section or even if there is one but I thought some people might find this video quite interesting... I know I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl0XrQmkPm0

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

that was pretty cool.

I liked the first story (about the three metre Great White being supposedly eaten by a bigger predator), it was intriguing.

However the second story, of the sea monster on Sakhalin, is very clearly the corpse of a beaked whale species - there is no mystery about it.

The third story, of the sea monster in New Zealand, is very clearly the corpse of a killer whale (it was in fact identified as such almost immediately at the time - but this video makes out that that identification is nothing more than some sort of random possibility).

The fourth one, about the mystery whale call, was interesting.

The fifth story was really cool, I liked this one the best. A giant shark with actual video footage of it - but then he ruined it by suggesting it was a megalodon....

Last edited: 10 Jan 2016
  3. Chlidonias

dabbling around I found this article about the great white of the first story. When I was watching it I was thinking the shark was supposed to be nine metres long because why would anyone give something a length in feet - but it was only nine feet which is less than three metres, so not very big at all and really pretty easy to turn into a meal for some larger shark. (I put "nine metre great white" in my post above and had to edit it after I re-read it and thought "wait....nine metres sounds awfully big!").

What Could Eat a Big Shark? A Bigger Shark, Not a 'Super Predator' - NBC News

4. dcpandafan

dcpandafan Well-Known Member

I don't think he was suggesting it was a megalodon but he was just saying that some people believe that it could be.

5. Chlidonias

This is what he said:
    "Scientists aren't exactly sure what type of shark it is and people have said it could be the long-thought-to-be-extinct megalodon .... but another theory is that the footage caught a very large, very rare Pacific Sleeper Shark. Sleeper Sharks can grow to lengths of 23 feet, so even if it was a Sleeper it would have been the biggest and longest of its kind to have ever been spotted."

This is what is wrong with the video. There is a completely factual explanation for the dead killer whale, for the dead beaked whale, for the footage of the sleeper shark - but he makes out that they are "Mysterious & Unexplained" and could actually be sea monsters or megalodon when they quite obviously are nothing of the sort. A sleeper shark that big (if it really is as big as it appears to be) is really cool - why bring nonsense into it? "People have said it could be megalodon" - the only people who would believe it to be so are people who know nothing at all about sharks, and the suggestion shouldn't even merit repeating in a video which could have been much better.

He should have made the video as "top 5 "mysterious" sea creatures explained" or something like that. Would have been more interesting overall.

6. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It drives me crazy when people try to pass explained phenomena as unexplained. I for one would love to see a show that actually explains, or tries to explain, them.