Join our zoo community

5 New Most probable Future Holders of Okapi in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 5 Jun 2017.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Hi zoochatters,

What you think/or you have read/heard of, what 5 zoos in Europe would be the new ones, that will hold an okapi in the near future. Once I read from EAZA paper, that okapis will only be sent to institutions having experience with the species in the past.

I think of these 5 European zoos, as most probable new holders of the species in Europe:

-Hellabrunn zoo
    -Vienna zoo (Tiergarten Schonbrunn)
    -Valencia bioparc (The country of Spain (Europe's big 5), is not having okapi yet).
    -Tierpark Berlin
    -Pairi Daiza

Last edited: 5 Jun 2017
  2. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Tierpark Hellabrunn in Munich has had Okapi in the past (and probably will have them again in future).
    Vienna Zoo (Why not, although that would mean another species must leave the zoo to make room).
    Valencia (Same problem as in Vienna), would list Madrid instead
    Tierpark Berlin (Very unlike because Zoo Berlin already has this species and both Berlin zoos have the goal to avoid double keepings/holdings)
    Pairi Daiza (looking what rare animals they got in the recent past very likely, so agree)

Other candidates: Some Czech zoos (specially Prague), Zoom Torino (if there is space), Bussolengo, Arnhem, some more French zoos (e. g. Amnéville, Mulhouse).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

When I was in Valencia bioparc, I couldn't see the lemur section only, because it was not allowed for visitors, because they were renovating or building something new in that area. I wonder what they were doing. :) Actually there is quite a space in Valencia bioparc, for example to the left when you enter the park proper, there is a vast area not occupied by enclosures, or in the central area around the restaurant.

Last edited: 6 Jun 2017
  4. zoomaniac

I remember when I was in Valencia Bioparc, that the lemur section was open only for a couple of hours and only open when visitors are accompanied by a guide. Maybe that was the case too when you were visiting this place.
    Yes, there is a unused peace of land on the left side. But afaik that is (or at least was) determinated for a new South America section.

5. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looking at the rate of investment and development in certain European countries, i would say that collections in Poland, Czech republic and France will be knocking at the door.

6. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I'd be very surprised if the Yorkshire Wildlife Park was not amongst the collections receiving okapis in the near future.....

7. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I heard that bongos must leaves Valencia, before okapis come some day.
    And yes, I think that Madrid and maybe Barcelona are in the list waiting for them.

Talking about lemurs section in Valencia: in the morning 10:30 to 14:00 the visit it's "free" you can enter and exit as many times as you want . and from 15:00 to 1/2 hour before closed time, (20:30 i think right now) the visit it's guided by staff people. One visit (about 15 minutes long) by hour. The visit includes the fossa's enclosure.

Sorry boys! :D The new planed area to developed it's for Asia.

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  8. zoomaniac

No reason to say sorry;). Infos from better informed people are always welcome. I have had in mind Asia first but thought I was corrected here that it was South America instead. However: Asia would be fine as well:)

9. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ok! it's just my particular sense of humour... :D
    All in all, I prefer to see okapis for the first time in Valencia, before than tigers or orangutans again.
    Those Species can wait.

10. kiang

Valencia would be the most natural location, perhaps in Europe as okapi holders.

11. Blank

Blank Member

Prague zoo had a plan for okapi but according to the last masterplan (2016 - 2022) it is not up to date. Zoo Dvůr Králove is still waiting for female okapi. I think Zoo Zlín will be probably new future holder of okapi in Czech Republic.

12. kiang

Zoo de Bassin Arachon will receive a male this year.

13. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Nice! I hope to visit a few zoos in France this year.

14. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dvůr Králove got the female from Antwerpen two months ago.
    In Poland Opole wait for okapi. They had to get two males: Frankfurt-born Maiko from Wrocław (who unfortunately died last year) and young male from Chester. The house and paddock are ready.

Kifaru Bwana and kiang like this.
  15. Beastking04

Beastking04 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What about the Chester Zoo's Africa Bio-dome plan? do you think that could have Okapis in it?

16. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This plan has been dead and buried for quite some time: Chester already have 2.2 okapi (soon to be 1.2 after the above mentioned male leaves for Opole) in and next door to their giraffe house.

17. Beastking04

Beastking04 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sorry. Didn't know it was shelved.

But what about their current plans for a African Rainforest Area?

Our long-term plans for the zoo | Zoo News | Chester Zoo

18. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. andreash

andreash Member

Some years ago Borås zoo in Sweden made a wish list of animals that would like to have in the future (published in the newspaper). Then okapi was on second place (after hippos). However it didn't say anything about their chances of getting these animals. Borås is a zoo that is specializing in African animals and have had some really good breeding results for many African animals like cheetahs, elephants, bongos and african wild dogs. So I would think that would be a good zoo for having okapis. But do any of you know how the coordinator is thinking when deciding who will have popular and quite rare animals like okapis - are they going for the big and famous zoos, or do you think there are any possibility that Borås may get okapis in not too far future?

Loxodonta Cobra and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I tend to think they are more open to new holders to assist expansion of the breeding nucleus. If Boras has put in a request for they might probably get males first (viz Opole in Poland).