Join our zoo community

500mm!

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by gentle lemur, 22 Jul 2009.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As Oscar Wilde said 'I can resist anything, except temptation'. I have just paid a small fortune for a 500mm lens. I expect to use it mainly for wildlife photography in natural habitats, but I have started by using it at zoos to learn how to handle it with a range of subjects.
    I enjoyed shooting the gorillas at Bristol.

Salome
    [​IMG]

Romina
    [​IMG]

Jock
    [​IMG]

I also managed a quick visit to Burford
    African open-billed stork
    [​IMG]

Purple-faced langur
    [​IMG]

I am quite pleased with these; the lens is a bit of a brute to handle, but it delivers the goods.
    Watch this space ;)

Alan

2. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Cannot wait to see more, I think you may be one of the best photographers on this site. :D

Last edited: 22 Jul 2009
  3. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

When it comes to stunning portrait shots, I believe you are the undisputed master on this website, gentle lemur!

I so much appreciate your photography skills! You are truly gifted! :)

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

More details on the lens please!

5. gentle lemur

AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR

If you don't speak Nikon, it's the latest model with Vibration Reduction - so even a shaky old soul like me has a chance. I'm using it with a Manfrotto Long Lens Bracket on my Gitzo monopod.
    It took me quite a while to pluck up the courage to get one, but I've proved to myself that I can handle my 300 with a 1.4 converter - so photographically it wasn't that big a step. The £££ were a different matter, but I'm too old to wait around, and when the UK's best value retailer had one in stock just after my birthday, I took the plunge ;)

Alan

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Well done!

I haven't tried a 1.4 on my Canon 100-400 lens yet, but I'm getting great results with that lens handheld, which I'm pretty happy with. That means I can go walkabout (with a 1.5kg lens on the front of my camera!) without a tripod - great for small bird photography where you need to be able to move around with freedom to capture them. Although it does struggle a little in low light, as most long lenses tend to do.

I've been looking for a lightweight tripod which is strong enough for my lens and tall enough for me to use without breaking my back (I'm 6'2") - haven't really found the right combination yet (most tall tripods are rather heavy).

7. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yikes I see what you mean! Absolutely beautiful photos. I was at Cotswold on Monday too, I was the one with the shaky camera phone.:D

Was Romina the gorilla who had cataracts fixed? She's looking really good in your picture.

8. gentle lemur

I didn't spot you, but I only arrived at 3pm and I didn't get all the way round.
    Yes, Romina is the gorilla who had bilateral cataract surgery - I think she has a very attractive and expressive face, although I know that Pertinax has a soft spot for Salome.

Alan

9. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Those are brilliant photos, GL. Can you tell me what fstop and shutterspeed was used for them?

:p

Hix

10. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Good portraits! I want to talk A few over the "amplification factor" in digital cameras in Nikon are1.5X and Canon have 1.6X, this means that a 500mm nominal in analogic camera is a 750 mm for Nikon and 800mm on a Canon, so if you also have added a 1.4x the lens becomes in a 1050 mm to Nikon or in 1120 mm for Canon. Had this in mind? I say this because for captive wildlife may not be necessary 1.4x,I think, also losing a diaphragm as a bright.

11. gentle lemur

The photos are in the Gallery, so the EXIF details are there too.

KEEPER you figures are correct for Nikon (for D70, D200 and D300 bodies at least). I don't know anything about those cameras with grey lenses ;). I agree that if you have a 500mm lens then you will almost never need a converter for zoo photography. I'm at the stage of getting to know how to handle the lens and how to use its full potential. Zoo photography is good practice for the field as well as being fun in itself :)

Alan