Join our zoo community

Flamingo Land 50th Anniversary today

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Bubbles, 28 Jun 2011.

1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Chester counts its anniversaries from the foundation of the NEZS in 1934, rather than from the zoo's actual opening in 1931.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It was Frank Farrar. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Colchester may still be run by the same family.

3. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Wrong and right!

Angela Tropeano, who is the wife of Dominique Tropeano, was, I think, the niece of Frank Farrar.

4. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Surely Robert Gibb's company bought F L in 1978 anyway! The place had changed its name (unfortunately) in 1976, but it was still Scotia then. When the zoo was opened in the winter of 1998/99 it was said to be "to celebrate 20 years of Flamingo Land". I know the Gibb family sees the start of its ownership as the start of the place, but no one can deny the zoo opened in 1961 - the display in the Education Centre had a copy of the advert for opening day and some text on the zoo's history which gave the opening date. A former colleague used to say to me that there would be no zoo at F L without the rides. I'd reply that there would be no F L without Flamingo Park Zoo.

5. Bubbles

Bubbles Well-Known Member

Quite frankly, I think Mr Gibb's description of a Zoo and Theme Park being called an 'enterprise' says it all really.

btw.. When you buy a 100 yr old house.. and it's had several owners, you still say it's a hundred years ago, so for Mr Gibb to say the Zoo, that is still a Zoo, which is in the same place, which was opened in 1961 isn't 50 years old is a load of old bull s*** !

6. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

Rather than just refer to Mr. Gibb's comments as bovine manure, perhaps we could consider why they are reluctant to celebrate their 50th anniversary now?, perhaps they want to detract from the fact that it was initially just a pure zoo, unlike today when it is a mixed zoo come amusement/ theme park?

7. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

It is interesting to note what the late Clinton Keeling had to say about his departure from the place he had been engaged to establish:-

"I left Flamingo Park, as it came to be called, in early April (1961) when I saw how things were all too clearly going; plans for a huge funfair, wild west cowtown and gigantic caravan park were anathema to me". C.H. Keeling, "The Ashover Zoological Garden: The True Story", Clam Publications, 1986.

Much as I agree with those sentiments, I'd settle for that situation today rather than what we have got. At least the paddock at the bottom of the zoo was returned to animal exhibition after those few years housing a rollercoaster. Small mercies.