Join our zoo community

Toronto Zoo More animals!!!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Flixox101, 1 Feb 2009.

1. Flixox101

Flixox101 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This post is basically your opinion on what the Toronto Zoo should increase on (Animal-wise), in order to breed. (i.e the tapirs, there is only one at the moment and I would love to have another one, in order to breed. Tapir babies look sweet. x3) So yea comment, thx.

2. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

More tapirs would be nice; here's hoping our guy gets his mate :) If they're not on the phasing out species list, I would love it if the zoo's able to obtain a new female hyena (RIP Rabbit). Baby hyenas would be awesome! Some other species I'm thinking of are Barbary Apes, Dholes and Impala.

3. Flixox101

Mhm I fully agree, more hyenas. The zoo just needs more babies overall to increase visitor attendence.

4. Flixox101

They should also add in more orangutans, (apologize but I don't know their names) there's only a female orangutan and her baby. And does the zoo carry two pygmy hippos? o__0

5. Quartz92

Quartz92 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The zoo was going to get a mate for the tapir -can't remember his name- but the plan didn't work out. I would like to see baby grizzlies, hippos both pygmy and river, jaguar, there are to many to say.

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The tapir that is still at Toronto, is this the one that came from Belfast?

7. Flixox101

Not sure, but I just wanted to add that the Tundra Trek should add species such as penguins and puffins. I would love to see those animals in the new tundra trek

8. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

There are actually 8 orangutans at the zoo, they just switch on and off exhibit. There are 3 adult females who all have a baby, a male and a sub-adult female

The tapir is Tanuck and im sorry to here the plan did'n twork out

9. Flixox101

Oh really? That's great. Last time I went only saw the baby and it's mother. And they really need to put in another Tapir

10. Zoogoer2000

I think the one you most likely saw Puppe. She has a two year old baby and the reason why shes alone is because she has social issues with one of the other females and the third female is pretty much inseperable from the 2nd female. Puppe is usually only on exhibit with her baby ( of course), the male named Molek or her sub-adult daughter Jahe who im not even sure is at the zoo anymore ( She was supposed to move to Tennesssee this summer but i've heard nothing since)

11. Quartz92

It is really interesting to see the family trees of the orangutangs and gorillas, I recommend stopping at the gift shop and looking at the family tree placemats for sale it is really interesting. I found out that one gorilla or orang (can't remember) at the zoo had many babies die before giving birth to a sucessful offspring.

12. Zoogoer2000

I actually have all four mats and the orangutan i think your thinking of is Abbie

13. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

I don't think adding penguins would be a great idea, since there is no penguins in the Arctic, but puffins would be great!

14. Quartz92

Puffins would be interesting and an arctic bird avary/exhibit.

15. Flixox101

They also should really change the Orangutan exhibit, needs to be updated. A more modern looking exhibit would be nice and an outdoor one. The only exhibit that looks modern/updated is the Indoor Gorilla Exhibit and the Australian Pavallion.

16. Quartz92

The orangutangs are due for a new exhibit in 2013 at the earliest. Money is always the problum!

17. Flixox101

Are there two Tree Kangaroos still? If so, and of different genders; there should breed. :D Would love to see Tree Kangaroo babies. But their exhibit looks old, especially with the big old white pipe/air vent or w/e it is. It doesn't look naturalistic and doesn't fit the atmosphere.

18. Quartz92

There is a male (Herrington) and female (Chrissie) and had a baby back in 2006 (Noru). He is at the Lincoln Zoo. He was paired with a mate named Milla who gave birth to two twins - a first for this species. It was thought that she had a joey in here pouch again last summer but no activity was seen. Better hope in the future!

19. Flixox101

Mhm, I think the zoo needs more seals since the death of Timo, RIP. :(

20. Quartz92

Unfortunately the seals are a phase out species.