Join our zoo community

Oakland Zoo $70 Million California Trails - 2015 Completion?

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 27 Dec 2010.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Media blurb:

The $70 million project will extend into 60 acres of Knowland Park, with 20 acres of new exhibits and more than 30 acres of managed open space. Groundbreaking on the first phase, a $10 million, 17,000-square-foot veterinary hospital, is expected in the spring, with a scheduled opening in October 2012. The current veterinarian facility is 1,000 square feet.

Oakland Zoo's hugely ambitious "California" project:

California Project

The website posted above contains a wealth of material, including community input documents, details of community meetings, historical documents, news about the proposed gondola, discussion of animals to be included in the project (black bears, grizzly bears, tule elk, bison, eagles, cougars, jaguars, wolves, etc) and a wealth of informative material.

The FAQ link was updated in July and it is 5 pages in length:

http://www.itsyourzoo.org/images/stories/projects/california/FAQs_July012010.pdf

2. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

The proposed size of the exhibits is very impressive for the most part.

3. Dallaspachyderm

Dallaspachyderm Well-Known Member

I want to know if they plan on breeding osh?

4. snowleopard

5. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

It is an interesting debate with people touting conservation on both sides.

6. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The hillside in question has not been "natural" since the Spanish began to graze cattle there hundreds of years ago. It is vegetated largely with non-native invasive species, and while coyotes and foxes may occasionally prowl there, so do feral cats, dogs, pigeons and the like. Not to mention the homeless encampments, pot-smoking (and cultivating!) teenagers etc. This is a very small patch of a vast swath of open space--the entire East Bay hillside ridgeline-- that has been well-protected for nearly 100 years. But it is parkland, not wilderness.

This is really all about "NIMBY-ism." That said, I do hope that Oakland pays greater attention to details when developing the new California exhibits. All of the exhibits built there in the past 15 years or so have been generally good ideas but without the finesse and final touches that take an exhibit from being adequate to excellent. The spectacular site they have to work with (featuring a panoramic bay view that rivals the famous Taronga Zoo vistas) demands a sensitive and thoughtful touch.

7. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

As a native Californian, I can't explain never having visited this zoo. Even after making several trips up there including one of my brothers weddings. Maybe this project would be more incentive for me. Oakland Zoo, a must on my list of future zoo visits.

8. snowleopard

9. snowleopard

10. snowleopard

I stumbled across an interesting blog that has intricate details of the California Project, including 2010 modifications. By scrolling down you can click on the exhibit layout with exact specifications in terms of the size of the enclosures, and the gondola line and overnight experience areas are included. There will certainly be some marquee animals as grizzly bears, black bears, wolves, cougars and jaguars will all be popular with visitors.

Oakland Zoo’s California exhibit | A Better Oakland

11. snowleopard

12. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The first component of the expansion, a new animal hospital, is under construction. It looks like it will be a regional health care facility for injured wild California condors and mountain lions, as well as for the zoo's residents (which will include captive condors and mountain lions also with the new expansion).

Oakland Zoo breaks ground on veterinary hospital - SFGate

13. BayZoolvr

BayZoolvr New Member

Does anyone know If they have already broken ground on the California expansion or if its happening soon since it targeted at a 2015 completion. Also are there any plans to on a new Chimp or African Veldt area as both are extremely outdated by now.

14. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

It remains in limbo since proposition A1 failed at the ballot box. A couple of docents have confirmed that they're working on a new Chimp exhibit, but there's nothing official yet. They also indicated that the zoo would not be acquiring any other apes until a new habitat was in place for the Chimps.

And by African veldt, I assume you're referring to the giraffe enclosure? Nothing concrete, but I have heard that they're in the planning stages as well.

15. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

If anybody is still paying attention to Oakland Zoo's on again, off again California Trail expansion the East Bay Express has chimed in with an exhaustive piece of reporting. Check it out here.

Right now the zoo is looking at a 2015 state date, with a 2017 completion date.

16. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. Chimpangeek

Chimpangeek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Given how amazing this exhibit will be, when/if it's complete, i feel like the San Francisco Zoo might as well give up on creating its North America section. Unless they go for different species like moose, pronghorn and bighorn sheep.

18. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Ground has officially been broken! According to email update I received the coming Winter months will see construction on the hilltop Visitor Center and the California Station in the Main Zoo, where you will board an electric gondola to California Trail when it opens in Summer 2018.

Follow along with construction updates at the official site here.

19. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the update. It's good to see that it is finally underway and headed towards a defined completion. The only animal element of the project that looks like has been changed from earlier plans is the elimination of beavers, but maybe that happened a long time ago. It will be exciting to see a major zoo exhibit about California.

20. snowleopard