Join our zoo community

8 Rhino-calves for Thailand ?

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by vogelcommando, 26 Aug 2016.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A lot is claimed, little fact is presented.

The Mafunyane / Mr. Manus Pretorius for all good purposes is one of the wildlife trading companies involved in CITES regulated wild animal transactions. The same company has been used in the past by various European zoos. Nothing untoward in that.

One can debate what one likes whether the CITES regulating body and instruments are conservation or economy driven, there is no denying that if completed with due diligence there is nothing illegal in a transaction under its provisions.

That some individuals, NGO's or even journalists are putting this in doubt, brings onto them the duty to present the facts and the truth as it stands. Whether this newspaper article is any of that I have my doubts …

BTW: in the article it is mentioned 30. You put above your banner 8 … Care to clarify the difference and / or the exact source?

Incidentally, what I will agree on is:
    A) there needs to be an open debate on the merits of wildlife utilization and its benefits to wildlife conservation. I believe that debate has been ongoing though …
    B) in Southern Africa there is the wildlife industry is a big enterprise and corruption, illegal activities and abuse of power have implicated portions of the industry and government circles. OSCAP has been instrumental in uncovering some of these abuses. Whether they present their facts to judicial authorities and prosecute under Law …, i do not know.
    C) the Department of the Environment's administration and Minister responsible are not above the Law in and on wildlife conservation and trade disputes. Given that a good portion of so called "friendly" nations like Mocambique and other SA nations and nationals of these are implicated in the illegal poaching of wildlife inside South Africa, Mocambique, Namibia and Zimbabwe, I would concur the Ministry needs an overhaul and needs to bring in new accountable and on merit staffers untainted by the Zuma ANC Government.

Please note: the latter is coming from an individual who (and family) has / have wholeheartedly supported the ANC and the late Mandela and his political friends in the struggle to bring a better and democratic SA about. Amandla!

Last edited: 26 Aug 2016
  3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The permit for the 8 animals seems to be already provided, the "up to 30" seems to be not completly clear.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi, vogelcommando. Any documents clarifying the export of these "8" individual rhinos? Under CITES law the exporter is held to indicate the destination and importer of his live "cargo"!