Join our zoo community

9 species of mammals, 9 species of birds, 9 species of reptiles. Your choice?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 17 Feb 2016.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

If your dream comes true, as my dream to have a small, but modern zoo with fewer animals but with muc more space for them (also for reptiles, eg for snakes, not square terariums, but real enclosures eg. 3x9 metres for snakes) hopefully as soonest possible (to earn enough money), wich species of animals you will choose to keep first. I will not choose some relatively rare and at the same time very charizmatic zoo animals (eg. okapis, spectacled bears or black rhinoceros) (because I don't have much practical experience) and to be real, most charizmatic animasl are almost imposible to obtain, especially if you are a beginner in the world of zoo business.

So my question, wich 9 species of mammals, 9 species of birds and 9 species of reptiles will you choose? :)

I will choose:

(Mammals)
    1. Giraffe (from any subspecies)
    2. Gerenuk
    3. African bush elephant
    4. Common hippopothamus
    5. Mantled guereza
    6. Orangutan (Bornean)
    7. Black howler monkey
    8. Leopard (Indian subspecies)
    9. Giant anteater (relatively easy to maintain in captivity)

(Birds)
    1. Wattled crane
    2. Saddle-billed stork (Ok maybe pompadour's cottinga or balli mynach)
    3. African fish eagle
    4. King vulture
    5. Hyacinth macaw
    6. Chattering lory
    7. Wrinkled hornbill
    8. Keel-billed toucan
    9. Great blue turaco

(Reptiles)
    1. Cuban crocodile
    2. Rhinoceros iguana
    3. Crocodile monitor
    4. King cobra
    5. Red spitting cobra
    6. Eastern green mamba
    7. Mexican West coast rattlesnake
    8. Emerald tree boa
    9. Papuan taipan

Amphibians yes... they are reletively easy to keep
    What would be your ''3x9'' choice?

Last edited: 18 Feb 2016
  2. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member

The majority of the animals you have listed are very far off from being "beginner" animals and are also extremely hard to get unless you're an experienced zoo owner. (I.e. Hippo, gerenuk, elephant, etc...)

Last edited: 18 Feb 2016
  3. Nikola Chavkosk

Lol yes, but I taught on those most charizmatic animals, almost impossible to obtain. But if you have enough money for example, you can buy small elephant herd from Zimbabve or South Africa, and to legally import for zoo purposes, why not?

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member

I think this thread belongs in the Fantasy section :)
    I demand 9 species of amphibian and 9 fishes too!

Alan

5. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

I agree with Alan; please put this into the Fantasy section.

"3x9 metres" enclosures make the safe and realistic handling, husbandry and display of the mentioned venomous snake species a "tad" bit unlikely. I guess you've never worked with "hot" snakes, have you? None of the reptile species you mentioned are "impossible" to obtain, btw.

"Amphibians yes... they are reletively easy to keep." Depends on the species...

"But if you have enough money for example, you can buy small elephant herd from Zimbabve or South Africa, and to legally import for zoo purposes, why not?" Maybe because the animal right activists will be right at your thoat, and quite rightfully so?

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member Premium Member

MAMMALS:

Indian rhino
    Okapi
    Malayan tapir
    Eastern giant eland
    Gerenuk
    Southern elephant seal
    Baikal seal
    Musk ox
    Saiga

BIRDS

Kagu
    Shoebill
    Yellow crowned night heron
    James's flamingo
    Andean flamingo
    Red legged cormorant
    North island brown kiwi
    Congo peafowl
    Harpy eagle

REPTILES

Komodo dragon
    Bornean earless monitor
    Indian gharial
    Chinese alligator
    Red headed krait
    Matamata
    Blood python
    Ploughshare tortoise
    Emerald tree python

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

Moved into Fantasy :)

8. Nikola Chavkosk

Yes I never worked with venomous snakes, just watched them. But I do not support (I will not) direct handling of venomous snakes, I will neither use hooks for snakes, just tubes or boxes, only after their entering in a fixation transparent tube/boxes for snakes, and their sedation/asnesthesia (eg. sevoflurane, ketamine - injectible, yes).
    Never realy worked with some zoo animasl till I will start volountering in local zoo.
    So I do not support and will not practice some more invasive procedures for handling/fixation animals (except in urgent situations), even I am thinking for oral delivery of sedative/anestetic, but not darting to animal, because that is very sterssfull for them. Who would not be stressed if someone darts to him with darts in the muscles? Same with the animals.

9. Nikola Chavkosk

Lol I am new to the Zoochat, I do not have researched enough, how can I put this in fantasy section?

10. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member Premium Member

Tea Loving Dave is a site moderator and done this for you

11. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

Oh boy...It’s not about what you “support“, but what is necessary in terms of safety guidelines for both animals and humans. Which includes distance immobilisation in many zoo animals for various reasons and the handling of venomous snakes using hooks and tongs (often in combination with said safe boxes and tubes).
    Sevoflurane is an inhalational anaesthetic, not an injectable one. Sole ketamin injection (sic) instead of balanced anaesthesia is not recommendable in most cases.
    Maybe you should acquire some practical experience about (zoo) animal husbandry before making sweeping declarations based on random bits of information...

Last edited: 19 Feb 2016
  12. Nikola Chavkosk

Lol boy I know that sevoflurane is inhalant anestethic, I wrote injectible for ketamine, and according to one book, namely, Immobilisation and anetshesia of zoo and wild animals, ketamine is a good aand safe option. I would not practice such procedures of direct handling with the help of hooks, if that is possible (eg. only laws can make me to practice such way of handling, I personaly would not like to do that, for my safety, and for less stressful fixation of snakes). By the way i think i could deal with venomous snakes, altought I have zero experience with them (that doesn't mean that I will not pre-practice or ask for help from some experienced keeper).

13. Nikola Chavkosk

So are you experienced with venomous snakes? if you are, and if you have proper education, I would love to ask for your help, I will pay the ticket for you, and accomodation, to came in my place (in Sout-East Europe), for about one week stay, when I will opening a small zoo (hopefully for one to 3 years I would be able), of corse if you like too, and if you are only from Europe (not very expensive ticked by airplane) :) So?

14. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

“Lol boy“-?
    Said book also explains the benefits of combining ketamine with other anaesthetics for the sake of a balanced anaesthesia.
    As for sevoflurane: while suitable for many species, isoflurane is still favoured due to the more economical prize-which is also mentioned in said book, if I remember correctly. Like I wrote: bits of information, without substance.
    Yeah sure, you can deal with venomous snakes without zero previous experience. If you’re lucky, you will end up in the hospital; more likely, in the morgue. Previous training with a experienced and serious mentor is mandatory; I was lucky to find one.
    You should be careful whom you invite...Send me a PM if you want to learn how to work with venomous snakes (including hooks and tongs). Just be aware that I only answer to serious requests on this behalf by persons of legal age (18+y) and mental maturity. Your posts so far fail to convey the latter.

15. Nikola Chavkosk

Surely I will ask some other for help. I dislike you, even I do not know you personaly or via facebook. And you're nobody competent to label someone whether is mentaly competent or not, at least here.

Last edited: 19 Feb 2016
  16. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

So I guess that means that you‘re a minor...:p
    Let me know when you’re legally and mentally mature (or “competent” ^^)-and still want to learn. Otherwise, keep on (day)dreaming...

17. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

On the FB profile linked in his posts, he says he is 26 - but I can see where you get that impression from his 180° switch from wanting you to visit him to declaring how much he dislikes you within a mere 3 or 4 hours!

Nikola - if you want to learn and develop your skills and experience, the most important step is to *not* lash out when corrected or given advice by the people whose skills and experience you lack. This is good advice both for posting on this forum and for your intended future career, especially considering the risks involved in the latter!

18. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member

Mammals:

Moongoose (any species but they would be hard to get my hands on )

Water buffalo

Deer ( any species)

Antelope ( any species)

Lamas

Kangaroos

Possums ( any species)

Himalayan tar

Birds:

Cockatoos ( any species )

Turkeys

Rainbow lorikeets

Kookaburras

Quails ( any species)

Emus

Ostriches

Ducks ( any species )

Piegens/doves ( any species )

Reptiles:

Thick tailed gecko

Lace monitor

Boa constrictor

Carpet Python

Turtles ( any species)

Chameleon (any species)

Spotted Python

Olive Python

Tortoise ( any species )

Fish:

Catfish ( any species )

Freshwater stingrays

Tetras ( any species )

chiclids ( any species )

Discus

Blue and green chromis

Clown fish

Eel ( any species feshwater or salt )

Tang ( any )

Amphibians:

Green tree frogs

Posin dart frogs ( any species )

Newt ( any species )

Tomato frog

Salamander ( any species )

Glass frog

Pacman frog

Axolotol

Cane toad

19. Nikola Chavkosk

Huh I will not tell you. Yes I am learning and dreaming (because my dream is still not reality), and will always learn. But I will not tell you, I will just maybe post here in ZooChat :)

20. Nikola Chavkosk

Yes you are right for second paragraph. I disliked him because I don't like offending or such behavior here like superiority, arrogance or ignorance, and words like not mentaly mature etc. That is my personal view and my personality, maybe because I am Scorpio Ascendant :)