Join our zoo community

A click for conservation

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Toddy, 27 Jan 2008.

1. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Hello all!

Those of you who receive the ZSL's electronic newsletter will already have seen this. Bradt Travel Guides, who has published the fantastic book "100 Animals to See Before They Die", have set up a new conservation project on their website. Follow the link below

100 Animals to See Before They Die

Just follow the link, and click on one of the five animals on the page. A penny will be given to conservation for the animal you choose with every click (you can only click once a day). Just think, that if all the members here at ZooBeat click once every day, and then send it on to as many people as they can.

BTW, I have the book, and I think it's great. A "must buy" for any wildlife enthusiast.

Thank you for your time ;)

2. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

I won the book in a competition that ZSL was running a couple of months ago!

I also agree that the book is a must-have...

For Chester people, it is on sale in their gift shops...

It's a great scheme that they have set up on their site as well.

3. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

i got the book for christmas. Does seeing the animals in zoos count?
    If we listed the animals in it and got people on the this forum to tick the animals that they have seen in the wild or at zoos i reckon that we would have most of them covered.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I reckon seeing them in the wild is more meaningful. Anybody can just go to the zoo and see them.

Is the list anywhere on the web because I don't have the book but would like to see the list...

Last edited: 13 Oct 2020
  5. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

It says in the books foreword, that they had a bit of a discusion if it should be about animals and are endangered in the wild or in zoos. Eventually, they decided that all these animals should be seen in the wild, even though that would take a lifetime.

I say that here on ZooBeat, we can count those we have seen in zoos as well ;). Otherwise. I'm back to square one :p

All the animals in the book are from the EDGE list, although they are not number 1-100 on the list. I guess you have to buy the book to see ;).

6. Fodders

Fodders Well-Known Member

I'll be clicking on them all!!

It's a wonderful idea, and I think that other conservation sites should use this idea.

7. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

What did anyone click on? My options were Tiger, Aye-aye, Long-beaked Echidna, Probiscis Monkey and Polar Bear. I went for the Aye-aye.

8. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I have been clicking for a few days now, so I click them all in turn

9. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yesterday I did the Proboscis Monkey, today the Aye-Aye. I will do the same as Toddy and click them all in turn.

10. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I've been doing the echidna, then Proboscis monkey. I'll do Aye aye next...

11. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The book "100 animals to see before they die" is terrific, and it was only published in October 2007 so it is up-to-date and relevant to all lovers of wildlife. There are lots of glossy photos, an average of a page for each selected species, and then many maps and facts on the regions of the world where the animals are located. It is 160 pages and features a strong conservation message. It is fun to see how many you've seen, although almost all of my choices have been found in captivity.

12. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting... Who's the author..?

What are some unusual animals on the list..?

13. CZJimmy

NZ Jeremy, the author is Nick Garbutt, I'll have a look for unusual animals now...

14. CZJimmy

Slender Loris, Saiga, Amami Rabbit, Baiji, Ganges River Dolphin, Dinagat moonrat, Palawan Stink Badger, Proboscis Monkey, Bornean Bay Cat, Otter-Civet, Pygmy Hog, Pygmy slow loris, black-spotted cuscus, marsupial mole, New zealand lesser short-tailed bat, Riverine Rabbit, golden rumped elephant shrew, Nimba otter-shrew, Hirola, Falanouc, Fanaloka, Cuban solenodon, Monito del monte, Andean cat...

It also has the more well know animals e.g. panda, elephants, orang, gorilla, rhinos, bison, polar bear, indri etc

hope that helps

15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I just got a copy from the library. I've seen a whopping total of TWO of the species in the wild!

16. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

Cheers thanks Jimmy...

I shall away to the library too..!