Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari & Adventure Park A few questions

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ZooLeopard, 19 Oct 2009.

1. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

Last time I went to Longleat was in 2006.

1. Is Winston the rhino still alive?
    2. Any news on the three rhinos from africa? have they bred?
    3. Do they plan to bring in a male tiger for breeding?
    4. Are all the tapirs still alive?
    5. When will monkey reserve open again?
    6. How old is Nico now?
    7. Have they bred the bongo or vultures?
    8. Any other news storys welcome.

PS - Is it me or are Longleat not very good at updating their website info. They have hardly any news stories in detail about their anaimals. Moves, deaths etc

2. HuxleyPig

HuxleyPig Well-Known Member

I have recently made a thread about my visit to Longleat and will answer some questions, and will ask your others when I go again on Sunday. :)

Winston sadly died recently. I don't know why.

There was a mating between the male and one of the female Rhinos. She did not come back into season when she was supposed to and so they are doing tests. They did not know the results yet when I ask. I shall ask for an update when I go.

I don't know about the tiger situation. I shall ask, if I can. I suspect they will probably though. It would make sense.

I visited little over a week ago and there were four tapirs present. I'm assuming these are the original pair and two ofspring.

Its unclear. I think I read somewhere that the Monkey Jungle will be opening again next season. I have no idea what will happen to the Monkeys over Christmas. Lets hope for good news.

If memory serves me correctly he's 44. But I'm not certain on that. He is the 5th oldest Gorilla in the world.

I think some females have been added to the herd now. I'm not sure. Again, I shall ask. Same for the vultures.

Animal Adventure is now open. The path across the side of the Pygmy Goat enclosure is blocked off. The Deer Park is closed. Ground Squirrels now inhabit the area in Pets Corner where the Degus where. The Yellow Mongoose are now in Pets Corner. The Ferrets are where the Barn Owls were. The Degus share an enclosure with the Chinchillas where the Ground Squirrels used to live, if I remember correctly. The batchelor herd of Nyala look to have settled in nicely to the East African Reserve. The male Ostrich, Trevor, has been moved to the Big Game Park since Honey died. Three Californian Sea Lion pups were born this year.

And God, tell me about it. The website is useless. I barely visit it anymore. Without Animal Park, we get no information, these days. I can't remember the last time I recieved a newsletter.

You can expect an update Sunday night. :)

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1) No Winston has died in the last month or so.
    2) There's a rumor that one could be but it's not been confirmed
    3) They have said that they plan to breed them but no males as yet
    4) Jessie,Jethro and Hugo and Gomez were all alive and well at the end of August this year.
    5) Monkey Jungle is re-opening next year
    6) Nico is 48 or 49
    7) They have recently obtained some females bongo but they haven't bred yet. No vulture chicks either.

4. ZooLeopard

cool thanks huxleypig :)

5. HuxleyPig

Okay, so to find out:
    -Rhino pregnancy situation
    -Tiger breeding situation
    -Monkey Jungle situation
    -Bongo breeding situation
    -Nyala breeding situation
    -Ostrich situation

I'm taking a pad and paper, I think.
    My friends are gonna hate me. Lol

6. Nisha

Nyala's are a batchelor group so you can cross them off your list ;).

Please can you ask what they are doing with the male lions in pride B now that Charlie has moved out of pride A. Are the 2 youngest going to be put in with pride A and the older 1 (Nookie or Mr Dudley which ever hasn't left) moved elsewhere? Or will they keep pride B as it is and bring in a new male for pride A? Thanks

7. HuxleyPig

I shall ask. I saw only two males in the second pride, but of course the older one could have been hiding. Are the batchelor Nyala's staying as such?

8. ZooLeopard

when did the nyala arrive?

9. Nisha

They Nyala are quiet a large group so I would expect so. I think that they would of probably had to seperate the male lions by now as the youngest pair are around 2 now and the older one is at least 3. Though they were all together in July. The Nyala arrived at the end of last year or the start of this year.

10. HuxleyPig

I saw them in a hard standing near to the East African Reserve on the 12th September last year. Hows that for precision? :)

11. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

And they came from Marwell, if you wish to know CD. :)

And as I plan to go next Friday, I'll try and keep your AA info secret from myself till them; don't really want to spoil it till I see it for myself! :p

And I'm really annoyed with the fact they cancelled Animal Park. It was arguably the best, at least in terms of recievership, zoo docusoap on TV and the repitivity reason could easily have been u-turned by shorter episodes (say 30 minutes instead of an hour) and shorter series'.

12. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

It doesn't say on the website that Animal Park has been cancelled, and i haven't seen any reports. Shame if it has been, its the only zoo- documentary i can be bothered to watch

13. HuxleyPig

Well it was the first of its kind was it not? Or at least the first to come to my attention. But I must admit, whilst it was good for finding out whats going on at the park, the stories were repetitive and werent a good few made up? I've heard a load of rumours about the filming of Animal Park, and some of it's pretty nasty.

But without evidence its just slander, and I shan't drag a, as far as I can see, fantastic establishments name through the mud.

And MD, are you going on the 23rd or the 30th? If the 23rd then you'll be going before me, lol. If not, then I shall keep all my reviewings of it in my thread I started a few weeks back and put photos in the gallery.

14. HuxleyPig

CD? Not Colchester Dude, surely?

15. ZooLeopard

what does colchester-dude mean?

16. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Sorry, got confused. I mean't Zoo Leopard.

And Huxley, you'll be going before me, so I'll just have to be careful. :)

17. HuxleyPig

:rolleyes: Hmmm. I think you may have just caught yourself out here. :p

18. ZooLeopard

what do you all mean. Who is cd?

19. HuxleyPig

Lol, CD is Colchester Dude. Although, the name was 'colchester-dude', which you just randomly got correct without prompt ;). Lol. Don't worry, I'm playing. Back on topic...

20. ZooLeopard

what do you guys mean. Colchester-dude was mentioned on the last page, who is that?
    Why do you and marwel-darlek keep mentioning the name. Is he a new member or something?