Join our zoo community

A Few Unrelated Updates.....

Discussion in 'Australia' started by LOU, 22 Jan 2010.

1. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

- Taronga Zoo are proposing to export their lone female silvery gibbon to Port Lympne Wild Animal Park:

Proposed Exceptional Circumstances Permit - Silvery Gibbon (Hylobates moloch)

- Taronga's father/daughter pair of dhole were transferred to Singapore Zoo (on page eight):

http://www.siacargo.com/MegaBeat_Oct-Dec09.pdf

- Alma Park Zoo transferred their group of rhesus macaques to crocodylus park

- Werribee Zoo and Western Plains Zoo are discussing a co-operative import of Przewalski's Horse

- Melbourne Zoo are investigating the import of a group of meerkats

- WPZ are going to import a pair of small-clawed otters

- Melbourne zoo's female orang-utan has recently been removed from contraception

- And there will be numerous imports and transfers of Golden Lion-tamarins over the next year

Also, i posted on another thread that Taronga Zoo recieved 1.1 white-cheeked gibbons. This was a mistake on Taronga's part; they do not house the species.

:)

2. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

And on asian golden cats:

The current regional population stands at 4 individuals (1.2 at Auckland and 1.0 at Hamilton).

Auckland no longer plan to breed them and only want to keep their male, while Hamilton want to delete the species altogether.

Crocodylus Park wish to aquire one individual.

3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So Taronga now no longer keep dhole at all? Will they replace them with another species of canid (possibly maned wolves from Dubbo)? Will Taronga be getting a new pair of silvery gibbons?

At present, their collection of exotic mammals stands at a mere 32 species, by my count... and the orangs are off-display, too.

4. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Was it not the case our zoos wanted to focus on breeding Silvery gibbons within Australia?, why not send the port Lympne male to Taronga and become part of the regional plan?

Last edited: 22 Jan 2010
  5. torie

torie Well-Known Member

they still have the two dhole. mother and son.

6. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

So are dholes yet another species that will be phased out of our zoos now? :eek:

7. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

Taronga still have two other dhole but they can't breed with each other ( i think this was posted on another thread...).

Taronga no longer wish to be part of the silvery gibbon program. They intend to replace the species with white-cheeked gibbons.

Including the ones off-display, there are 37 exotic mammals at TZ.

8. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

Just zoo :D.

9. normaeinstein

normaeinstein Active Member

MORE Meerkats for Melbourne Zoo??!

10. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

taronga zoo have probably illustrated to me, better than any other zoo in the region, why i have absolutely no respect whatsoever for australia's mainstream zoos or the association that they effectively dictate to.

zoos have are just businesses. they spend a thrippence on conservation here, and pour a fortune down the drain over there. but what worse is they aren't even very well run business'.

they don't preserve their own assets. they take their animals for granted. they refuse to invest a teeny sum on insurance so to speak, yet pour millions, of OUR MONEY down the drain on what some dumb arse CEO with not a single creative bone in their body - thinks might be a good idea..

dhole. was i not against this from the outset? did i not predict, years ago, that this was going nowhere?

i work in tv. i design stuff. i learn about animals in books. i don't love them THAT much that i want a career in them. yet, i know i could come up with better, more realistic ideas (and i'm talking across the board) in an afternoon than any of those halfwits could in a decade.

next up francois langurs.

and we are importing more pygmy marmosets. bah

11. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Spot on again, phoenix!

And as for the loss of Asiatic golden cats from the region - disastrous!
    Auckland, who currently have three, want to keep only ONE? Crocodylus Park wants only one also? I'm speechless!!!

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hello everyone,

Despite some criticism you could level at various imports/exports, I am for once happy that a concerted effort is being made to have some kind of integrated management.

Re: silvery or moloch gibbons.
    The lone silvery gibbon female to Port Lympne is in my view not such a bad move in the interest of the global population of the species and genetics. What I do agree with is that Taronga should not change over to white-cheekeds at the expense of (instead attempt to acquire unrelated silvery gibbons from Indonesia). The Perth Zoo run project is now managed in tandem between Perth and PL.

Re: other imports/exports.
    Glad about the coordinated Przewalski horse import by 2 ARAZPA zoos. To me that would be the way to go in relation to exotic hoofstock, primates, felids et cetera. I wish Australia would do more in that vein.

K.B.

13. Hairymoloch

Hairymoloch Member

Do you mean PL are now helping Perth Zoo with the Silvery Gibbon Project?

14. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

So now Taronga, Australia's premier zoological park, has only 37 species of exhibit animals? (including those off-exhibit?) And dholes are being phased out? Australian zoos are going to the dogs!:) If an Aussie wishes to see loads of exotics then they have to save their cash and take a trip overseas, because a single large American or European zoo will have more exotics than the entire continent of Australia.

15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

absolutely! What a ridiculous decision for Australasian zoos!!

16. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I agree completely, send them overseas don't let them die out down under!

17. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe Hamilton bought in a female called Mao only a year or two back? Is she now at Auckland and do Auckland still have the female they imported from Singapore in 2002? Is the male her handreared son Sigon or has he departed?

18. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

I also agree with Phoenix, I have been thinking along the same lines now for quite some time, what appears to be grand plans one day only to be in the delete box not to long down the track, WHO is running the show and where do they go from here!!!!!!, now let me see?, maybe a few years down the track we could keep only native animals in our zoos or maybe just hold on to at least three species of exotic animals being Sumartan Tigers, White rhinos and Asian elephants, then at least we could still call our zoos ZOOS :rolleyes:

I can really see that master plan coming together ;)

19. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

I can't answer any of your questions but i'll try and find out.

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Many thanks :) I think the Singapore female was called Hoi-An?