Join our zoo community

Lincoln Park Zoo A Long Awaited Visit | Review of the Lincoln Park Zoo (Chicago)

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 11 Sep 2021.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Review of the Lincoln Park Zoo (Chicago)

Wildlife Experience in the Heart of Chicago - Lincoln Park Zoo

Lincoln Park is the older, yet smaller major zoo of Chicago, Illinois – the other being the huge Brookfield Zoo. It opened in 1868, with a pair of swans presented from Central Park in New York City. Since then, the Zoo has constructed several well-known and historical animal buildings – many of which have since been renovated for improved animal spaces. It also became famous for its gorilla program – not only has the Zoo been involved in extensive research projects revolving around the animals, but over 50 of the great apes have been born there! The facility has recently seen a revival in construction projects, with a few new exhibit complexes opening in the last few years. Lincoln Park’s collection currently has about 200 species consisting of around 1,100 specimens.

As the title of this review suggests, I surprisingly haven’t been to this zoo before. I’ve wanted to visit for years, but have been continuously delayed. But now that I finally got to see one of the nation’s oldest zoos, was the wait worth it? Only one way to find out…

Animal Exhibit Complexes

Kovler Seal Pool – This is an ancient area that originally opened in 1879. It was rebuilt 90 years later, and received a renovation in 2016. Two species of seal (harbor and gray) share a decent-sized exhibit with some rockwork for sunbathing, a deep pool with underwater viewing, and a large adjacent amphitheater for the daily keeper chats that take place. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. I will say though, one neat feature I thought was interesting was how the water’s edge was designed similarly to an endless pool.

Regenstein Birds of Prey – Although there are only a trio of exhibits here, they are all very well-done. The ones for bald eagle and snowy owl are a good size, and offer some vegetation and perches in order to gain some height. The best exhibit is the gigantic aviary containing a pair of Cinereous vultures and a few European white storks. To go along with its unbelievable size (both horizontally and vertically), it is packed with foliage, a rocky pool, and a cliff-face in the back portion of the exhibit. It served as a nice appetizer for viewing feathered animals, especially considering the next stop…

McCormick Bird House – Despite this being one of the smaller bird houses I’ve come across, it makes up for it by containing a number of neat species and displays. There are 10 different bird enclosures all contained within either glass or harp wire, and all focusing on warmer environments around the world like the shorelines and tropics. The sole exception to this is the walkthrough aviary in the middle of the building; while not huge, it is nicely sized, and very natural looking with its amount of jungle foliage and running stream. It makes for a scenic halfway point in the world of birds, and is the highlight of the complex. The species list includes Victoria crowned pigeon, mandarin duck, blue-crowned laughing thrush, and many more. Some other noteworthy birds exhibited are lesser green broadbill*, kookaburra, Bourke’s parrot*, scarlet ibis, Guam kingfisher, sunbittern, black-necked stilt, American avocet, and snowy egret. Species marked with an asterisk are firsts for me.

Regenstein African Journey – When it comes to picking the strongest exhibit complex in Lincoln Park, I’d definitely go with this 2003 development. Not only does it feature an array of exciting species, but it also does an excellent job in repurposing a historical building (in this case the former “Large Mammal Building”) into an immersive experience, focusing on a couple different African biomes. Starting out indoors, one will come across signage and information amongst the African architecture and props. These mostly pertain to the in-situ conservation efforts the Zoo puts into. The rainforest soon emerges into view, with the calls of birds beckoning, specifically African spoonbill, Hadada ibis, and hottentot teal. One follows a winding path through the walkthrough aviary, pushing past lush foliage and traversing over a flowing stream. Also in this area is a troop of Diana monkeys; at first, their mesh habitat seemed small, but upon closer inspection, it’s clear these active primates have a good amount of space to work with thanks to the big artificial tree at their disposal. The enclosure also does a good job of utilizing the building’s height to its advantage to make for an engaging exhibit. Moving along, a West African dwarf crocodile was sitting idly beneath the surface of its large jungle pool habitat, while nearby are two animal habitats that are, in my opinion, possibly the best of their kind. Amazingly, these exhibits in question are for invertebrates! :eek: Several Madagascar hissing cockroaches were lingering in a huge hollow log or cave structure; close by is a golden orb weaving spider, residing on its web amongst some naturalistic rockwork. I was astonished that there were virtually no barriers to hold the arachnids back! Lastly, after passing under a replica Cameroon researcher’s cabin, there is the pygmy hippopotamus habitat; at first glance, it appears to be spectacular. There is a large, crystal-clear underwater viewing area, the pool is very big and deep for the little pachyderm, the land area while small is very realistic-looking, and the overgrown jungle plants make for an effective Congo backdrop. For an indoor habitat, it is really a superb setting; however, the one catch is – that’s the entire exhibit. It would be really beneficial if the hippo(s) were allowed access to the fresh air as well.

Directly afterwards, the biome focus shifts over to drier environments. It begins with a mixed-species enclosure containing a klipspringer and a variety of birds (Kenyan crested guineafowl, red-billed hornbill, and blue-bellied roller); it looked nice for the birds, but I felt that the little antelope could’ve used some more space. Next, there is an African hut-style viewing area that looks out over the savannah exhibit (to be described later), followed by a small canyon-like area. This neat section consists of two burrowing mammals that have the opportunity to rotate between a pair of exhibits. Meerkats and aardvarks have access to two sandy spaces that offer various enrichment opportunities such as artificial termite mounds; the meerkats were making their trademark sentry duty poses in the smaller exhibit, while the aardvark was dozing in the larger one – the latter of which has the giraffe stall serving as a cool backdrop. After another array of conservation signage, this time pertaining to research on more charismatic species such as elephants and gorillas, the final animal habitat is a large, colorful, and very pretty tank for a variety of African cichlid species. On the outside, a trio of giraffes can be seen alongside a pair of plains zebra in a mid-sized dirt habitat. I liked the layout of this enclosure, as it is hilly, and is surrounded by either pretty waterways or foliage-topped rock walls. It made for a scenic and surprisingly effective natural design for being in the middle of the country’s third largest city. Also along the pathway are a trio of black rhino exhibits (two of which previously housed African elephants), a dry riverbank-like enclosure for red river hogs (originally warthogs) that looks nice, and African wild dogs reside in an exhibit that is fairly small, but still has plenty of naturalistic features.

Penguin and Polar Bear Habitats – I realize these are two totally different exhibit areas. But, because they were originally revealed, constructed, and opened close together, I thought I’d group them in one section. “Penguin Cove” was the first to open, in October 2016. A colony of African penguins is housed in a mesh-enclosed exhibit that is average in size and quality. Although there is not a whole lot to the exhibit, it does come with a fairly deep pool with some nice views both above and below the waterline. I also liked how detailed some of the rockwork was near the visitor viewing, particularly how the seashells were embedded within. “Arctic Tundra” then followed just one month later. This was a rather interesting polar bear exhibit, as it sort of reminded me of Pittsburgh’s Water’s Edge, only with many plants covering the majority of the ground. The layout is very similar, being built on a rocky slope, along with a stream and small waterfall that cumulates into a deep swimming pool. Oddly enough, the body of water is surprisingly smaller than most I’ve seen. According to some articles I’ve read, the design and layout of this habitat pushed to emphasize more land space, seeing how the white bears were discovered to utilize dry land more often than once perceived. The bears also have a smaller side enclosure, which has a small pool to go with the gentle grassy slope. Apart from an open-air view of the larger habitat (with a not-so-great angle and an over-sized foliage gap between the visitors and exhibit), viewing is through glass both on land and in the water. While it is difficult to compare to some other polar bear habitats such as Columbus or North Carolina, it is an interesting execution that made the most of the limited space available. On a side note, I never saw any polar bears on my visit.

Regenstein Macaque Forest – Japanese macaques are housed in this 2014 exhibit. Although it doesn’t exactly resemble a “forest,” it doesn’t take away from the fact that this is a very nice exhibit area. The primates have a good amount of space, residing on a pretty hillside packed with grass, lots of rocky crags, and artificial trees to clamber around on. Another element that makes this exhibit a success is the pair of gargantuan windows; these allow for excellent views of the snow monkeys and a great place for visitors to gather around. There are also a series of TV’s above that cycle through updates on the Zoo’s troop, and some of the research work the Zoo has done with the species. It’s like a miniature version of the Zoo’s Center for African Apes (to be described later), except one is outdoors the entire time while watching the monkeys; and considering this is a hardy species against the cold Chicago winters, it’s a sweet bonus.

Regenstein Small Mammal/Reptile House – This intriguing building opened in 1997, and is divided into three sections. The first is a half-circle display of several reptile and amphibian terrariums. Most of these range from average to decent in terms of size, and are nice when it comes to naturalism. Some of the species include axolotl, prehensile-tailed skink, green tree python, oriental fire-bellied toad, black tree monitor, Eastern massasauga, and blue-tongued skink. The highlight of this section is a quartet of colossal terrariums for some larger herps: gaboon viper, beaded lizard, Aruba Island rattlesnake, and Madagascar tree boa/African rock python, all of which have a wide variety of natural elements. Next, there is a nocturnal area, beginning with a series of smaller yet well-furnished exhibits for brush-tailed bettong, cactus mouse, La Plata three-banded armadillo, and Pygmy slow loris. Next door a large colony of dwarf mongoose inhabits a large, excellent habitat with well-detailed rockwork and elevation. The latter component also plays a part in showcasing another exhibit – a tunnel of naked mole rats, much like the set-up in Brookfield’s desert complex. There are also larger exhibits set within a cave that has a cool design; these house Egyptian fruit bats, a prehensile-tailed porcupine, Moholi bushbaby (off-display during my visit), and leopard gecko (within a small terrarium). Finally, the third section brings one into a neat rainforest environment with naturalistic habitats surrounding the pathway. One begins their journey on a wooden covered boardwalk, with Asian small-clawed otters (didn’t see) starting out in a pair of rocky exhibits with large amounts of water; followed by a spectacled caiman pool; a mixed-species exhibit with fish, white-faced saki monkey, and golden-headed lion tamarin; and a massive habitat for two-toed sloths (I believe cotton top tamarins were signed here too, but I didn’t see any). The boardwalk comes to an end, before reaching dry land and the rest of the habitats in this complex. These are predominantly home to large reptiles with a good size and design to them. The exhibit list includes: tortoises (red-footed, along with one other species), Jamaican iguana (highly active on my visit), and the only Puerto Rican parrots outside of their native range. It was really cool to see this rare bird for the first time ever! The final set of exhibits, before going up a flight of stairs to get a good overview of the entire third section, is a collection of tiny terrariums set within a wall of mock rock, but unfortunately I don’t recall any of the species.

Waterfowl Exhibits – When crossing the bridge in front of the Small Mammal/Reptile House, one will find two different bird habitats on each side. The first is “Waterfowl Lagoon,” a stunning, naturalistic pond surrounded by greenery that contains Chilean flamingos and swan geese. While the best viewing is from the bridge, there is also a fence that allows one to get rather close to the elegant birds on the shore. And then there is “Hope B. McCormick Swan Pond,” another scenic pool nestled amongst lush wetland foliage. Along with the wide variety of ducks, the spotlight species here is the trumpeter swan.

Helen Brach Primate House – Originally, this building served as the “Small Mammals Building,” and the label above the entrance interestingly still holds that title. I believe it was renovated into its current state in the early 1990’s. Aside from the gibbons that have a large cage with several furnishings, every species here lives entirely indoors. The exhibits themselves look nice, especially with the murals and good amount of height given in most of them, and there are a few natural elements such as fairly realistic rockwork and branches. However, I feel this area would benefit further from either outdoor habitats, whether they are dedicated or rotational, or some above-ground trails to scamper through. The list of exhibits is: colobus monkey and Allen’s swamp monkey (didn’t see the latter); crowned lemur; white-cheeked gibbon; Bolivian gray titi monkey; Goeldi’s monkey (didn’t see) and black howler monkey; de Brazza’s monkey; pied tamarin (didn’t see) and two-toed sloth; and Francois’ langur.

Regenstein Center for African Apes – There are only two species featured here (gorilla and chimpanzee), but the attention to detail, historical value, and educational components make this one of Lincoln Park’s biggest highlights. :D Beginning with the outdoors, two of the three habitats are completed enclosed, but make up for this by being covered in grass, climbing structures, and other furnishings to equal an engaging environment; these are for the chimps and the Zoo’s family troop of gorillas. The bachelor gorilla troop on the other hand, has the only open-topped exhibit. It is a large space with lots of greenery, artificial trees, ropes, rocky areas, and a wide variety in terrain/elevation. It is without question the strongest of the ape habitats in this complex. Unfortunately, none of the animals were taking in the sunshine and fresh air on my visit; rather, they were all in their spacious indoor rooms. While the bachelor gorillas were off-display due to injuries, the family troop and chimps were enjoying their soft substrate on the floors, climbing structures (both natural and artificial) that offer a great amount of height, and tons of other enrichment items to keep them entertained. Engaging primates and great quality exhibitry are not the only draws to this facility though. There are also a lot of education features of varying topics to keep visitors’ interest, ranging from family dynamics of the primates, to natural feeding habits such as foraging. My favorite was a kiosk explaining the Zoo’s history with gorillas. This includes details pertaining to some of the most popular gorilla residents (such as the world-famous Bushman), the significance of the complex’s predecessor in how its design allowed for a more natural approach in ape husbandry, and how ground-breaking research later allowed for blending new and original ideas to create the current complex, helping Lincoln Park to maintain its title as one of the premier research facilities for the world’s largest primate. On the whole, this complex (completed in 2005) showcases one of its strongest assets as a solid piece of work.

Camel and Zebra Area – This is a mostly circular complex in the southernmost part of the Zoo’s main property. There are a series of paddocks that range from average to decent in terms of size, and so-so overall when it comes to naturalism. One interesting element in this area is the visitor viewing; there is a lot of vegetation between the pathways and exhibit walls, most of which are topped with a bit of chain-link. At times it looks quite nice making for some gorgeous photos and settings, while sometimes I felt the viewing was a bit compromised (especially with the smaller peccaries). This set of hoofstock enclosures is nothing spectacular on the whole, but it makes for a cool opportunity to see some neat animals. Species list: Grevy’s zebra, Chacoan peccary (didn’t see), Sichuan takin, Pere David’s deer (new this year), red kangaroo, Bactrian camel (didn’t see), and ostrich.

NOTE – I did not visit the Farm-in-the-Zoo complex, and the Pritzker Family Children’s Zoo (with species like red wolf, American black bear, beaver, and river otter) was closed off. That being said, while entering the Zoo, I could see a wolf dozing in the shade in the back part of its exhibit.

Visitor Experiences

Probably the biggest draw to Lincoln Park in terms of its general environment is the historical flare. Several of the Zoo’s main buildings or exhibits date back to when they first opened, whether that is the “Kovler Lion House” (soon to be the Pepper Family Wildlife Center) from 1912, or the "Large Mammal Building" (now African Journey) from the early 1980’s. These all look stunning, and I’m glad the Zoo decided to maintain the brick and glass structures as I feel it adds both uniqueness and character. It also helps that the rest of the grounds appear to be well kept with the mix of waterfowl ponds, small forest, and flowerbeds adding a sense of beauty throughout. As for the rest of the establishment, it is situated on 35 acres of slightly hilly landscape mostly surrounded by downtown Chicago, along with views of Lake Michigan to the east. It’s pretty interesting to view some animals with the tall city skyscrapers dominating the background. The general layout is narrower to the point where it’s easy to view a main entry gate across from the other; there are points in the south were it feels more spacious thanks to the landscape, but at other times it feels more compact and somewhat cluttered, particularly going north from the seals to African Journey. While it does sometimes disrupt the flow of a visit with a little backtracking, this isn’t necessarily the Zoo’s fault as it can be tough to work around a layout such as this. That being said, it was an intriguing contrast to walking through vast woodland that seem to make up most zoo properties I’ve come across.

For a relatively small amount of space, the Zoo has a surprisingly large amount on offer to visitors. Starting with the entrances, the West and East plazas are the primary means of beginning one’s Lincoln Park experience; there are a few smaller gates scattered around the property but these appeared to be closed during my visit. I began and ended my trip through the West gate, which has only a large gray brick structure with the Zoo’s logo and a few bear statues as its welcome wagon. It’s a decent first impression, but it’s a vast difference to the East gate, which has several more amenities on offer, from restrooms to a spacious gathering center for visitors. The Zoo’s primary eateries are in front of the bird area (with the sole gift shop attached as well) and in front of the waterfowl ponds, along with a few other stands or minor cafes throughout the facility. Some other notable attractions include a carousel, a mini train (which opened alongside Macaque Forest), and a nature boardwalk.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: During my visit, the pygmy hippo was quite active, swimming along the viewing window for a good chunk of the time I was at the exhibit. The little pachyderm would take the occasional break by lingering on the banks of the water, eyeing up the behind-the-scenes area. I would imagine that it was close to feeding time for the hippo, especially as it seemingly disappeared behind the riverbank doors at a couple of points. This was one of my better viewing experiences with the species, and the beautiful surrounding rainforest environment only added to that special moment.

Overall: It took a long time to finally see Lincoln Park Zoo for myself – did the many years of waiting pay off? I’d say it certainly did! :) I actually would even say it caught me by surprise at times, with the impressive collection of animals, exhibitry that is decent on the whole, and major contributions to the zoo and conservation realm. The smaller size and more compact layout do keep it away from competing with some other facilities, but it is still neat to experience a zoo in such a different style like this in comparison to most others. Although I’d consider Brookfield to be the stronger of Chicago’s “big gun” zoos, there’s still a good amount to enjoy about this free admission establishment, and is certainly worth checking out.

Right now, Lincoln Park is full-steam ahead with completing “The Pride of Chicago” campaign. The final component is an overhaul of the “Kovler Lion House,” which is very close to opening at the time of this writing and will be dubbed the Pepper Family Wildlife Center. I only caught a glimpse of some outside cages, but peering over the construction fence I could see the future lion habitat, and it appears to be fantastic.

Photos have been uploaded to the gallery.

2. Grizzly Hound

Grizzly Hound Well-Known Member

Great review! I hope to visit Lincoln Park at some point.

3. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The bachelor gorillas go off exhibit every afternoon for the night to be separated, not due to injuries. :) That sign is just to limit the amount of guest questions when they see wounding.

StoppableSan and Milwaukee Man like this.
  4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I really enjoyed this detailed, well-written review. I visited Lincoln Park Zoo once (in 2008) and that is suddenly a long time ago! I've continually kept up to date on the zoo's progress and there have been many more new exhibits there in the past 13 years than nearby Brookfield. From your review, it sounds as if the zoo is in good shape and perhaps the one major flaw would be the Primate House.

5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's a shame you missed the Children's Zoo, which I would consider to be one of the highlights of LPZ. Still a a great zoo without it though, so glad you got to finally see it!

Milwaukee Man and Grizzly Hound like this.
  6. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do the gorilla groups switch spaces? I remember in 2019 the family group was in the open-topped exhibit and the bachelor group was in a netted exhibit?

JVM likes this.
  7. Grant

They switched in the spring of 2021 for better bachelor management to my understanding

JVM, StoppableSan and nczoofan like this.
  8. Milwaukee Man

I made my return to Lincoln Park a couple days ago, and have a trip report and updates to share. Let's begin with the parts that are brand-new to me...

Pepper Family Wildlife Center - Just opened a couple months after my first visit, this used to be the ancient and notorious "Kovler Lion House." The original structure in all of its old brick, tile, glass, and artwork glory has remained intact, along with the original five outdoor cages in the back. These appear to have received minimal renovations (keep in mind I only know the complex in its previous form from pictures), with two of them containing snow leopards, two for Canadian lynx, and a single cage in the middle for red pandas (didn't see). Despite dating back years ago, the exhibits are pretty decent, rather lush and providing a rocky back wall for their inhabitants, although a few windows would be nice additions. The pandas and lynx have a good amount of room, while the amount of space for the snow leopards was about average. These, however, are overshadowed in comparison to what is without question the main event of this complex. What were once rows of feline cages on each side of the building's interior have been completely eliminated without a trace. Now there is a wall of educational messages on one side, and an extensive amount of viewing into the brand-new lion habitat on the other side, with a colossal common area for guests in between. Tons of huge windows at different angles look out into the exhibit from inside the building, while a combination of windows and fencing provide viewing from the outside. The best part is a looping tunnel that juts out to the middle of the habitat, with the outer walls giving a great view of each half, some inner windows giving a glimpse of the rocky kopje-like center, and even a few ceiling windows! It's one of the best combinations of the old and historic with the new and modern I've ever come across. I haven't even gotten into the lion habitat in question - while not massive, it's a good size for the pride of eight I saw. Each half is made up of a grassy hill, complete with a rock outcrop and bare trees to climb or rest on. The middle section acts as a sort of passage between the two halves, reminiscent to a kopje with the various nooks and crannies. The lions have a lot of variety and opportunities to encourage natural behavior that was great to see in a city zoo setting. With a highly charismatic animal in a great enclosure that combines the old and new in a creative style, it's easy to see why this quickly became one of Lincoln Park's highlights.

Pritzker Family Children’s Zoo - Because of the yearly nesting night herons that inhabit the trees here, I did not get to see this complex in its entirety. The entire black bear area and a portion of the red wolf and beaver exhibits were inaccessible, but I managed to see the rest of it and was quite impressed. The main attraction is a building with many nature-themed educational components, play areas, and more to keep younger visitors engaged. There are also underwater windows looking into habitats for river otters and beavers; the habitats themselves are quite nice. The otters have a decent-sized pool with a large amount of land, terrain variety, and natural elements, while the beavers had a large pond and rocky shoreline (at least from what I could tell). Also in the building is a glass-enclosed area for screech owl and a turtle species, and a nice-sized pond for three species of turtles (spotted, Blanding's, and wood). Lastly, from what I could tell, the wolves have a great enclosure - it appears to be fairly big, and the woodland naturalism is excellent.

Outside of seeing those exhibit complexes for the first time, the rest of the visit was highly enjoyable despite a little drizzle during the first half. In order of my review:

Kovler Seal Pool – There were a couple additional parts I noticed with this historic pinniped pool. First, and perhaps the most unique, was on the amphitheater side of the exhibit. I saw a hole in the rock work reminiscent to a seal breathing hole in the Arctic, where twice a gray seal popped up for a quick breath, even hauling its massive body out at one point. Second, I ventured down to the underwater viewing windows for the first time, and while the up-close looks at the seals are always cool, the water seemed like it could benefit from a cleaning.

Regenstein African Journey – The Hadada ibis were assembling some sticks, which appeared to be the beginning of a nest near the Diana monkey exhibit. Speaking of which, the primates were putting on quite a show, chasing each other all around their massive artificial tree. A couple even ran along the bottom window frame for a brief moment! Also, the pygmy hippo exhibit appears to have been split in half, with a log barrier splitting the pool in half. While I can understand giving both hippos the opportunity to be on exhibit as opposed to rotating, it does reduce the amount of space for an already tiny enclosure. The klipspringer was nowhere to be seen, although it is still signed - do they now rotate with the birds? Finally, the cool diorama with the indoor giraffe stall was in full effect on my visit. I was amazed to watch an actively feeding and digging aardvark front and center, while the pair of giraffes browsed on their branches strung on the rocky walls.

Penguin and Polar Bear Habitats – Nothing to report here other than witnessing the aftermath of a penguin keeper feed, and spotted a dozing polar bear in the larger exhibit after not seeing the Arctic predators last time.

Regenstein Macaque Forest – Aside from enjoying the always entertaining antics of these monkeys, including one that was getting a kick out of a swing, nothing new here.

Regenstein Small Mammal/Reptile House – I don't recall if it was renovated before or after my first visit, but one half of the Asian small-clawed otter exhibit now has a small patch of grass - a nice addition in the mostly rocky enclosure. Also, Madagascar tree boa, golden headed lion tamarin, and cotton top tamarin are no longer present. One last thing I'll add is that I did spot Oriente knight anole in one of the terrariums, a species that I have to admit I don't remember seeing the last time. So, this is likely a species first for me.

Waterfowl Exhibits – Lots of pretty birds seen, and that's pretty much it. :p

Helen Brach Primate House – Once again, the three species I didn't see last time (pied tamarin, Allen's swamp monkey, and Goeldi's monkey) went unseen on my visit. Do they rotate with the other species? The best part of the building was watching a young colobus monkey darting about the exhibit, trying to copy its parent. One element I noticed in the Francois' langur exhibit was that the window at the top of their area was open, allowing for a fresh breeze to blow through. I don't remember seeing this possibility with most of the other primate exhibits in the building, and think this would be a nice add-on if outdoor access isn't possible in the future.

Regenstein Center for African Apes – While the gorillas and chimps preferred their vast indoor spaces at the time of my visit, I was pleased to see the sliding glass doors open to allow the apes the chance to go outside if they wished. The bachelor gorilla troop was yet again off-exhibit. Best part of my time here was when a chimp was hauling a big blanket around in an attempt to improve its "nest," which was fun to watch.

Camel and Zebra Area – The only change I noticed was the Grevy's zebras and Pere David's deer doing some exhibit switching. Zebras were signed in what was the deer exhibit a couple years ago, while a pair of male deer were inhabiting one the larger enclosures next to the zebras. A third deer was in its own paddock.

NOTE – I did not visit the Farm-in-the-Zoo complex, and skipped Regenstein Birds of Prey and the McCormick Bird House this time around.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: The lion pride was quite active during one of the times I passed their exhibit. Before arriving, apparently a soccer ball ended up in with the big cats, and they had no idea what to do. I saw as the lionesses played keep away with the ball, the young male Pilipili attempted to steal it a couple times, and the big male briefly gave chase. Even one of the cubs tried batting at the ball a few times! :D

Photos will be up soon!

9. Grant

- Callimico, Pied Tamarin, and Swamp Monkeys go off exhibit in the afternoon due to dietary restrictions with their co-housed species (Sloth, Howlers, and Colobus).
    - Based off our chimps building nests it sounds like it was a later afternoon visit. Bachelor group is shifted down daily at 2:30pm and up to habitat at 9:30am. :)
    - Windows are always able to be opened in Langur and Colobus exhibits! It's just weather/animal management dependent.

Milwaukee Man and StoppableSan like this.
  10. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Pepper Family Wildlife Center: In my visits since December, I've not seen the red panda either.

Pritzker Family Children’s Zoo: Did you see the otters or beavers using their exhibits are you just commenting on the exhibits themselves? If it helps regarding the black bear exhibit, I would say it is definitely larger than the wolf exhibit you saw. Glad you were able to have a partial experience of a zoo highlight!

African Journey: I saw a single klipspringer in the exhibit early in the year (February 5) and although I want to say some of the birds were still in the exhibit at the time, none of them are visible in the photo from that day. Extremely jealous you saw the aardvark! I have been making monthly visits and miss her every single time. Fantastic she was active! Hope you have photos of that :)

Small Mammal-Reptile House: I had noticed the golden-headed lion tamarin signage leave around February or March, glad to see it's not only me. I'm unsure when cotton top tamarins left but I think it was earlier. I hope either or both species return to the collection as the sloth exhibit feels a bit barren.

Primate House: I've seen the langurs focus on that window three of my last five visits, it seems a big favorite even on less warm days. I've missed the swamp monkey each time but I did see the pied tamarin active in December.

This is extremely useful information. The swamp monkeys are a species I have missed on almost every visit over the last few months and no doubt it's partly because I usually visit the primate house in the afternoon. Also good to know about the gorilla troop!

11. Milwaukee Man

Finally got around to uploading photos last night!

@Grant That's great to know about the primates - will keep in mind for future visits.

@JVM I did see both the otter and beaver exhibits in the Children's Zoo complex, with an active otter by the underwater viewing windows, but no beavers to be seen. Even at that, I could only see the underwater viewing area of the beaver enclosure, and not the rest of it. Good to know about the black bear exhibit too; hopefully I'll be able to see it at some point. :)

JVM and StoppableSan like this.