Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo A look at the Melbourne Zoo masterplan

Discussion in 'Australia' started by patrick, 23 May 2006.

1. zookiah63

zookiah63 Well-Known Member

I've seen heaps of birds in that aviary. I've seen the green pea fowl displaying to a peahen (free roaming) on the other side of the wire. I've seen the nutty lady amherst pheasant chasing his females (they're all too quick for him).

However, recently it has been empty.....there's a 'rodent' problem and it seems 'the last resort' is being used. In order effect 'the last resort' the inhabitants of this aviary have been temporarily removed.

....hopefully they'll be back soon.

2. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Back when the elephant exhibit opened they had heaps of birds in both aviaries. Ranging from finches to pheasants.

3. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

the birds are still in there, its just extremely lush- it's great when i went throgh palm aivary the other day, i had to mve tree brach out of way to move through (not a ohs risk type move) but an immersive walk through jungle move, was awesome!

4. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

palm aviary? take your taronga talk elsewhere zooboy! this is a melbourne thread and we are talking about melbourne's aviaries.....:confused:;)

zookiah, the rice paddy aviary is great and always has birds in it. the second glass-fronted aviary, just after the tigers, is often half empty or has birds in it that are different to those signposted. fortunately there are usually always a pair of colourful pheasants in there.

the lory aviary in trail of the elephants is small and nobody ever looks at the birds, but that their problem. there are lory in there in full view.

however, the large aviary with the (so-called) green peafowl sucks.

so maybe 30% of the time, i can see the peafowl. but good luck seeing anything else. its really poorly planted and landscaped with too many tall trees and shrubs, especially at the front of the avairy, and few proper open spaces. i stand there for a couple of minutes every time i visit and i never see a thing - and i not a bad spotter...

5. jay

But is there anthing other than the peafowl and maybe a pheasant? It used t have a lot more. doves and finches for starters.

6. patrick

apparently there are still white-bibbed ground doves and a few parrots and stuff...

melbourne has unfortunately failed to breed and maintain many asian birds in the last few years. gone form the asian aviaries are...

siamese fireback pheasants
    nicobar pigeons
    luzon bleeding heart doves
    red-whiskered bulbul

which is a shame....

7. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

there is a small feral population of red whiskered bulbuls where i live. if you want patrick, you can come and trap some and take them back to melbourne, but you have to take some indian mynas and starlings as part of the deal.

8. patrick

but boof, i already have indian mynah's and starlings. and before you ask, yes i'm fine for sparrows, blackbirds and turtle doves too..:)

they released red-whiskered bulbuls in melbourne too. there are still some alive around south yarra, but they're pretty rare i think.

they release red-vented bulbuls also but they died out and none survived in aviculture. but i'll hold you to the bulbul's if i ever get an aviary...

9. jay

I wonder what the law says about capturing introduced birds for captivity. It is obviously illegal for any native species but ferals?

10. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Its very legal, alot of the bird shops get lots of European Goldfinches in, and there someone in NSW selling Wild Caught Bul BUls

11. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Melbourne zoo only keeps keeps birds that have been injured and cannot be rehabilatated, Birds born at the zoo or birds that were exchange gifts.

Apparently the peafowls (peacocks) hanging around the Trail of the elephants were exchange gifts from a zoo that wanted Kangaroos.

Just changing the topic a bit does anyone know if Dokkoon is pregnant? Apparently when she was ovulating Bong Su covered her. The yuong Thai cows have been in Melbourne for nearly 2 and half years so Bong Su must be comfrotable with the other cows. On the contrary Bong Su doesn't have any descendents and he is 34 years old.

But a Bull in Rocton Safari Canada called rex had his first descendent when he was 36.

12. dragon(ele)nerd

Uh, Melbourne zoo has Syrian bears not Sun Bears.

13. patrick

they don't purchase birds as a policy?

and what exactly, if it were true, would be the point of that? :confused:

14. patrick

i think pat realises that. it was in the context of melbourne phasing-out its brown bears in favour of the nominated program species.

15. dragon(ele)nerd

Yeah that's true Syrains are endangered and Sun bears not so much to an extent that it is critical, my parents are Malay-chinese and were born in Malaysia, they say if you go into a forest it isn't unusual to see a sun bear

16. dragon(ele)nerd

You live in Melbourne right? are you a FOTZ member?

Can you give me an extent of the elephant breeding program in Melbourne if possible?

17. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

PLease stick on topic guys. So back to the melbourne zoo plans

18. dragon(ele)nerd

So your the zoo beat moderator, I See well i heard that Melbourne zoo Tigers are going to move soon after the Death of Nakal the keepers want Isha and Satu to go to a zoo together, Melbourne's tiger exhibit is only meant to keep a breeding pair like in the wild, Though a keeper told me that since the male tiger Ramolon is getting old that they might extend their exhibit to keep more tigers thus giving a more succesful breeding program ( not like it's not successful now)

19. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

good news on the tigers and you dont have to be smart about things it wont get you anywhere!

20. patrick

sadly, not these days dragon elephant nerd.