Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo A look at the Melbourne Zoo masterplan

Discussion in 'Australia' started by patrick, 23 May 2006.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

where are these green peafowl in Fiji? If its at Kula, I was there in August and they had only blue peafowl

2. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is my favorite thread on Zoochat and sometimes I re-read it just for fun but my real reason for raising it from the dead is to try and find out what species of pheasant are in Australia. I love pheasants but have only seen a few different types and would like to know which ones are out there.

3. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Taronga has Golden's, Nepal Kalij and Lady Amherst's on display. And the omnipresent Blue Peafowl.

Many years ago they had Swinhoe's, Himalayan Monal's, Ring-necks, Reeve's and Silver, but I don't think they have any of these anymore (unless they are in off-display breeding facilities). There might have even been a tragopan, but I'm not 100% certain on that one.

:)

Hix

4. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks Hix. The only ones that I've seen at Melbourne are Golden.

5. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

HIx, did they used to keep the monal in the aviary which up until recently was used for sun conure and agouti, because as a child i am certain i saw them in there....in the mid 1990s

6. Hix

Not that I remember - until a few years ago those aviaries were almost exclusively of Australian Habitats. I remember the Monal from the Pheasant Aviaries (now long gone) in the 1980's when, as I understand it, the male was the last Monal in Australia. I thought he died in the very early 90's.

Hix

7. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Without looking at ISIS I am sure there are some exotic pheasants in NZ - monal?

Possibly the green peafowl are in Noumea, New Caledonia? I know they have one of the best exotic bird collections in Oceania.

8. Hix

Auckland had Green Peafowl about 20 years ago.

Hix

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there's a number of pheasants in NZ: golden, silver, Lady Amherst's, Himalayan monal, ring-necked, Reeves, Swinhoe's, blue peafowl...and probably some others I've forgotten
    I remember them at Wellington Zoo too, about 20 years ago. They had them free-ranging. Not sure if there's any left in NZ any more

10. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Goreg wildlife park in SOuth australia has large numbers of green peafowl and they are failry common in private hands.

11. aw101

aw101 Well-Known Member

Back to the topic, is this all heresay?

12. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

Back to NZ, whitford has some exotic pheasants I think...

13. Electus Parrot

Electus Parrot Well-Known Member

Adelaide also has a male and two female green peafowl on display in their Asian walk-through aviary.

14. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Some, if not most, of the Green Peafowl on display and in private hands are hybrids. This makes it very difficult for those of us who would like to breed them true to type.

If anyone knows anyone who is breeding really good Greens in Australia I am all ears.

Same goes for Ruddy Shelduck - we lost a female just before Christmas and are very keen to replace her as well as add more to our holdings of this species.

15. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I had always been told (by pheasant people) that the gorge ones were pure, when you compare them to the Adelaide ones, the adelaide ones may as well be blues :)

16. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Returning to the original topic: who has any info on the future of the Zoo? Yet another CEO (has one been named?), and a lot of attention being directed to Werribee (opportunity) and Healesville (necessity). What's the status of the Seal/Penguin exhibit?