Join our zoo community

A map of British (and Irish) zoos

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by devilfish, 13 Dec 2015.

1. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Thanks! It's now off. :)

2. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

I've used your map well over 30+ times and shared it with friends, so thanks :D

3. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I too have used this map a number of times, so I'm rather thankful of it.

You may wish to add Knaresborough Castle which has some Ravens free flying (Common and a Pied Crow).

4. devilfish

Thanks very much guys - it's good to know that it's been of use to others!

Macaw - they also have a white-necked ravens so it's going on the map. Thanks. :)

5. Macaw16

Perhaps it is a white-necked raven and not a pied crow I am thinking of, it is a while since I was last there!

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

They appear to have (or to have had) both: Home - knaresboroughcastleravens

7. devilfish

I've decided to be more inclusive of some private/closed collections. This is ultimately a map of points of interest, so it doesn't make sense that interesting places with limited/extremely limited opening (like Rodbaston, British Wildlife Centre, Heythrop and WHF) are completely missed off. I've added some of these collections on the map, but there are still a huge number I'd originally ignored so I'd appreciate some help in getting these back on so long as they at least have a regular open day.

8. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Galloway in Dumfries needs removing, it's now closed.

devilfish likes this.
  9. devilfish

Thanks - there are a few recent closures which I've removed, but I've left this one on because they still hold a reasonable collection on-site, and I'm not sure whether there will be any possible access in future. (Maybe the odd open day or two to raise funds?)

10. Macaw16

For Askham Bryan College it is no longer 'access only on open days'. It is open on weekends and in school holidays, operating under the name Askham Bryan Wildlife and Conservation Park.

devilfish likes this.
  11. devilfish

Thanks!

12. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just had my first view of this map and it is very good and it is amazing to see just how many small zoos there are. I have been to most of the Irish zoos and apart from Dublin, Belfast, Tayto and Fota, the next biggest is probably the Killarney park, the others are mostly pet and farm animals with a few exotics.
    I just had a look at the (very good) Website for Donegal's Tropical World and they seem to have a small but nice collection of Marmosets, Lemurs Mongoose and Fennec. Some nice Parrots and Butterflys. I had'nt taken much notice of this place till I read your post but I will try to get to see it some time.

Last edited: 23 Nov 2017
  13. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

When I visited just before they closed, they said that a number of the animals were leaving but were keeping some as part of a private collection. They said they would work as a conservation centre and would be working with local wildlife trusts but wouldn't be opening to the public again.

14. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Devilfish cant belivie I had never seen this map, amazing effort.

Will definitely use it on my next trip over.

15. devilfish

Thanks very much - I'm glad it's highlighting some new collections! I've decided that it's worth keeping some collections on there even with very limited public opening, or with small exotic collections, as if nearby collections existed, even with such limitations, I'd like to know. Thanks @Zooreviewsuk - I've now removed the listing.

Thanks @zooman! Fancy collaborating on one for Oz when you get the time? :)

16. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

We've already got maps of all the zoos listed on ZooChat - have had this functionality for years!

Zoo Satellite Maps | ZooChat

upload_2017-12-7_8-50-42.png

For example - here is the UK map:

United Kingdom - Zoo Satellite Maps | ZooChat

This is what @jobalba does whenever anyone requests a new zoo gallery be added - she adds the zoo to our database, creates the galleries and discussion forums and then locates the zoo in Google and adds the coordinates to our database.

17. devilfish

Thanks - my first experiences adding points of interest to Google Maps were actually to add zoos to your database in the earlier days of this. :)

A lot of my map's points are places you might not consider to be zoos, so wouldn't be listed on zoochat, and a few on zoochat wouldn't count for my map, as they don't display live animals. The main purpose of my map is to ensure no local collections are missed, even though they might not be listed on different websites.

Simon Hampel, Brum and Chlidonias like this.
  18. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Do you mean like small private collections or something?

19. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I believe he means situations such as collections which purely keep domestic animals, museums where two or three live species are displayed in tanks among skeletons, mounted specimens and other such artifacts, and public parks which happen to contain aviaries/enclosures for chickens, small parrots or domestic pigeons.

20. devilfish

Actually if they only contain domestic animals they don't make the cut - it's only if they have some exotics too; pheasants, small parrots and meerkats make the cut. I've also included private collections which open to the public at least once annually, or rescue centres with public visitation, even if infrequent/paid. I've also put in places which are only open to paying 'experiences' - in the UK this most commonly applies to falconry centres, which might be private but offer a flying experience for a fee.
    They're just places where something new might turn up, and if I lived nearby or was driving past, I'd want to visit, if only out of curiosity. As people update me (e.g. to say a farm park might no longer hold any 'exotic' species, or that a zoo has opened/closed,) I remove/add them to the list as appropriate.

It's not foolproof, sadly - just last month @Nisha introduced me to a small zoo just a couple of miles from my parents' home. It's a small place but contains some interesting animals. Obviously that's now on my map. It's for collections like these that I appreciate everyone's input.

I've never really understood why a zoo would be so poorly publicised that even interested people actively searching can't find it until they literally drive past. With everyone's help I'm trying to make these occurrences rarer. :)