Join our zoo community

A new aquarium for Southampton

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 19 Sep 2016.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

PLANS have been unveiled for a multi-million pound aquarium and maritime centre which could become an international attraction for Southampton.
    The Southampton Living Waters project have produced a brochure inviting individual donors and corporate organisations to support a feasibility study into “a new maritime attraction with international reach”.

It is hoped the attraction would combine aquarium displays and spectacular, state-of-the-art exhibits including a large-scale model of the Mayflower, the ship on which the Pilgrim Fathers sailed to America.

http://southamptonlivingwaters.com/Southampton Living Waters14 (2).pdf

What is Living Waters

2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

But The Mayflower sailed from Plymouth. There is a commemorative plaque near the National Marine Aquarium.

Alan

3. thunder_monkey

thunder_monkey Active Member 10+ year member

The Mayflower sailed from London to Southampton and then on to Plymouth before heading across the Atlantic; Southampton has the Mayflower Theatre and Mayflower Park and a memorial ;)

Anyway, interesting to see that the National Oceanography Centre and unis are part of the steering group. If it comes off it could be a really good chance to showcase the ocean/maritime science being done in Southampton as well as being a new collection for the area.

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Titanic, which really did sail from Southampton, might be more appropriate :p

I will write out 500 times.
    "I must not be a boring old pessimist. We do need more and better public aquariums."

Alan

5. thunder_monkey

thunder_monkey Active Member 10+ year member

To be honest, it's nice to have a change from the Titanic in Southampton!

Let's hope if it comes off it is good quality and reasonably priced - I often find that aquariums seem expensive compared to zoos for the time most (i.e. non-enthusiasts) spend in them and Southampton's SeaCity Museum (there's the Titanic again!) has been criticised for being relatively expensive in one of the less affluent areas of the south.