Join our zoo community

A new kind of sea lion show

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by dartboard, 1 Jul 2011.

Tags:
  1. dartboard

dartboard Member

I'm an employee at my local zoo and my department is about to be put in charge of hosting our sea lion show. At the moment we have 3 California Sea Lions in a very large round pool with fenced off viewing all around the perimeter of the pool (looking downward). A small part of the perimeter has tall shaded stadium seating. We are looking to really make the show stand out and be a fun, memorable, and educational experience for our guests. I am looking for suggestions on what things make an awesome sea lion show and how we can stand out and be unique compared to others across the country.

The most important factor here though is that we have no control over the actual content as far as behaviors the animal performs. The trainers work very closely and hard with the sea lions and they will continue to do so. We are merely hosts. So what cool and unique things would you want to see in an amazing sea lion show?

2. Haruki

Haruki Member

A round pool? Round like a fish bowl or...?

And, use music to set the moment, and maybe a screen to tell a part of a 'story',
    also do high-dives and maybe some classic 'Sea Lion dancing'..

Good luck with your Sea Lion show, and what's the name of your zoo?

3. Callimico

Callimico Member

What I would like to see in an aquatic animal show is more of a conservation message. I see at many parks that they are definitely trying to entertain. What I do not see much of in most shows is information that would make the average person think of a sea lion as being more than an animal that does tricks. Also, the show could give information on diet, habitat, etc. The trainers could focus on tricks that are less commonly seen in other shows. For example, Seaworld Orlando's show was soley for entertainment, but featured tricks that I had not personally seen at many other shows. I think all this would definitely set your show apart from other shows. Just my 2 cents. Thanks, Matthew

4. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

I'll second the idea of a convservation message. Maybe give a demonstration on their behaviors, and give tips about simple things that can help the environment in a big way.

5. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

Though I have not seen it myself, I have heard the Saint Louis Zoo has a fantastic sea lion show. If you aren't too far away, you may want to check it out.

6. Saro

Saro Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you Matthew!
    Please check out Taronga Zoo's show on Youtube, its one of the best shows I know - entertaining but with a good conservation message and without all the clownish bs!