Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo A new lease of life for the sea lion pond

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 21 Dec 2013.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Plans are in place for the redevelopment of the sea lion pond at the entrance to the zoo.

From the blog;

Lastly, I want to tell you about a new enclosure we will start work on in early January. More details to follow in the New Year, but we will be developing a brand new meerkat enclosure where the old sealion pool currently is. Meerkats first returned to Edinburgh Zoo a few years ago and we have a family of the species behind the mansion house. Hugely popular, we’re delighted to be able to offer a bigger and better enclosure at the forefront of the Zoo. The location of the work means that the Zoo’s Hilltop Safari which takes visitors to the top of the park will be decommissioned.

RZSS Blog | All the current happenings at Edinburgh Zoo, Highland Wildlife Park and RZSS.

2. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Oh great. Meerkats. How very imaginative!

Is the loss of the hilltop safari temporary, or permanent? If the latter, it seems a shame - that hillside doesn't get any less steep...

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A new lease of life...

Whoopee, MEERKATS. Perhaps they could put some in London Zoo's Lubetkin Penguin Pool. Fill every empty enclosure anywhere with Meerkats -- you know it makes sense. Must get rid of my dog & get a meerkat.
    I actually quite like Meerkats, but then I quite like fish & chips, but wouldn't want to overdo that either.

4. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Out of all the interesting things that Edinburgh have, surely something could be more interesting than meerkats?

5. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Although I'd more rather see the old Sea lion pool renovated for Giant Otters.
    Many visitors to the zoo do like Meerkat's and I feel they are perfect as an exhibit to welcome visitors to the zoo.

6. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A new lease of life.....

Meerkat's what?

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

As noted on the main news thread, I really hope the current enclosure doesn't stick to meerkats too!

8. bigcat speciali

bigcat speciali Well-Known Member

As part of my charge back in the late 1980s, along with the primates, the primate keepers had to care for the sealions. The big star back then was "Trixi". Apart from cleaning out the polar bear pond via the tunnel, which was noisy enough. The sealion pond was something else, a bit of a nightmare especially with the filter.