Join our zoo community

Beijing Zoo A new visit to Beijing Zoo

Discussion in 'China' started by eduardo_Brazil, 20 Apr 2018.

1. eduardo_Brazil

eduardo_Brazil Well-Known Member

Visited the Beijing Sou today, after 8 years of my last visit. I must say its getting worster and worster, its that bad that I decided to not take pictures os the poor animals in respect to them as it looked that I was the only one who really respected them...conditions are fare from ideal for all animals, that mostly where not looking good except the vultures and eagles. What most made me sad was the mix Saimiri with Lemurs, the horrible "caves" for jaguars, the micro spaces for the takins, more death pinguins one exhibit than live ones 20180420_145024.jpg and of course the way the chinese treat the animals. I wonder if in Western part of the world such a zoo still would operate...I have doubts but probably it would be shut down. I don't remember that I feel me so bad for the animals during my visit in 2010, I even had good memories.

2. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I really don't think so.There are a ton of zoos(I mean like 200 zoos or something) in China that are worst than Beijing.Beijing is one of the better one with a sizable amount of animals(although they are like dying).
    Of course the glorious day of Beijing have gone, and it is downfalling. But I don't think it will close in the future( at least not so soon)

baboon and Tatsuslava like this.
  3. Tatsuslava

Tatsuslava Well-Known Member

the way that the Beijing Zoo is being described makes it sound like literally the worst zoo EVER in a lot of guide books and travel blogs

4. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

That is because those people have never visited truly terrible zoos. Beijing is merely disappointing given various factors.

baboon and Tatsuslava like this.
  5. Tatsuslava

Tatsuslava Well-Known Member

I read reviews of the place of people claiming that they left the zoo after 20 minutes crying!

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Perhaps they all need to broaden their minds a little: different countries, different mores and state of affairs. It really does not mean Chinese zoos are not developing or modernizing. The latter sometimes at speed not seen elsewhere. Nor am I saying all is well and good, but these observations one might make as well in so-called "Western" "developed" zoos too!!!

For what it is worth the municipal Beijing Zoo does set standards in PR China and is way above some of the overtly commercial private safari parks springing up all over the country. Allthough, probably, Shanghai Zoo and the Chimelong parks are the most modern ones for the country.

baboon, Kakapo and Tatsuslava like this.
  7. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't think Beijing Zoo is good comparing with other more ambitious and vibrant smaller zoos in China, even if it is my home zoo. But it is the zoo saving crested ibis from extinction, the zoo maintaining one of the world's four black muntjac captive populations, and the only zoo keeping breeding three species of snub-nosed mobkeys in the world. It has many problems due to the bureaucratic way of management, but they are doing their best to make up for the damage of the former leaders. It is the zoo exhibiting the most abundant Chinese native species, therefore is of great importance to China's nature education and conservation. Meanwhile, 20 minutes is NOT enough to understand a zoo. Why don't you give a browse to the Beijing Zoo Gallery of Zoochat, rather than reading reviews from other no-zoo-related forums and websites, my friend?