Join our zoo community

A Passerine a Day Makes a Happy Jay- Summer Travels Thread

Discussion in 'United States' started by jayjds2, 18 Jun 2017.

1. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The title is, of course, a nod to this thread:
    2017 ZooChat Challenge!

Well, I'm back again for another trip thread. Really, several trips, but I don't know how many, or for how long, or when it will end. I guess that's an element of surprise for us all! Previous trip threads of this year include:
    A small trip thread/what-should-I-see from (mostly) wildlife-watching for a weekend in Key Largo in February: Key Largo and Everglades Trip
    A much more extensive (though still just four pages) thread about travels through Ohio, West Virginia, and New York in April: Maleos, Geladas, and Spray Toads, Oh My! Mid-April Trip Thread
    This thread will be much longer, as I have multiple trips planned for this summer. This thread could even trickle into next year. My trips will include new facilities and revisits alike, covering some of the finest zoos in the country (and some aquariums, too!). Now, enough with the boring intro material.

The first facility I’ll potentially be visiting is actually tomorrow. It is the Philadelphia Zoo, which I’ve visited a few other times but not really reviewed on this site. Though I have other commitments that day, I hope I'll have time to visit the zoo (the oldest in America, depending on your definition) and see their new additions. Wings of Asia, a slight renovation of a lorikeet feeding experience, is now fully opened. When I last visited, they were having a soft opening and those who happened to pass by were allowed in. I was glad to be one of those passers by, and it will be interesting to see how it is with more species and the birds generally being comfortable with the public. A new kangaroo and emu exhibit has opened, and while I doubt it will make up for the okapi exhibit that it replaces, I could be pleasantly surprised. Lastly, the zoo has a new “WINTER” showcase which just seems to be a snow-themed playground, but details aren't really clear. Regardless, I will enjoy checking it out at what is one of my favorite zoos in the area.

A more interesting trip begins on June 25th: for the fourth time in a year, I am heading to Florida, one of my favorite states. Breaking the mold from my normal tour of the Disney parks and SeaWorld, the only thing in the Orlando area that I'll be visiting is the airport. Instead, I'll be in a loop around many coastal areas of the state, visiting several zoos, a few aquariums (including the newly opened St. Augustine Aquarium), and some other miscellaneous non-zoo landmarks. The only revisit of this trip will me St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park, while I will be visiting facilities such as the Jacksonville Zoo, Zoo Miami, and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay for the first time. I don't have a complete set itinerary yet, as a few days are dependent on timing. However, I hope I've dropped enough names in this prelude to retain at least a few people’s interest. :p

Two other big-name zoos, later this summer, are Bronx and Saint Louis. Each will be accompanied by a number of others, but no detail is yet set in stone. I've been graciously offered a chance to work at the Bronx Zoo this summer, for a day, and can't wait to see what it's like from the inside. I haven't seen Saint Louis’s newest extension of the elephant exhibit (visible from train) as I didn't know it existed when I visited last. Though I'll unfortunately miss the opening of their grizzly bear exhibit, I look forward to once again seeing the several fantastic exhibits this zoo offers.

Overall, I have a great list of zoos in store this summer, and hope you enjoy reading about them!

Last edited: 18 Jun 2017
    Vision, Brum and FunkyGibbon like this.
  2. jayjds2

And we're off! :D

Had a wonderful (if short and a bit rushed) visit to the Philadelphia Zoo today. Though just 42 acres, it still takes a bit to visit (I used all two-and-a-half hours I had) as it can be hilly in some places. They have a moderate collection, though the primate collection stands out with such rarities as pied tamarin, aye-aye, red-crowned mangabey, and of course, America's last red-shanked douc langur.

Upon entering the North Entrance (which seems to be the only one open these days), the first exhibit reached is for spider monkeys, two species which can be mixed together. What is prominently seen here and throughout other parts of the zoo are mesh tunnels, suspended in the air. This is part of the innovative Zoo360 program the zoo implemented a while back- allowing some species to travel throughout the zoo to different exhibits. This is enriching for animal and visitor, and though I saw nothing using the trail today, on previous visits I have seen black-and-white ruffed lemur, common squirrel monkey, and red panda using the trails. This all borders the first major exhibit: the Rare Animal Conservation Center.
    [​IMG]
    This exhibit is aptly named, with several species rarely seen both in the wild and in captivity. With one exception, all exhibits are on the right side of the building. That exception is for a not-so-rare animal, naked mole-rat in a standard tunnel exhibit. Several of the exhibits in the building are of a bland style, with simple climbing structures and floors of bare tile, or covered with hay. All the animals exhibited are mammals, nearly all of which are primates. Rodrigues fruit bats, black-and-rufous elephant shrews, a two toed sloth, and the aforementioned mole-rats are the only exceptions. The exhibits are all similar: climbing structure + primate. The inhabitants vary, from Geoffroy's marmosets and pied tamarins to blue-eyed black and mongoose lemurs. The crown jewels are a red-crowned mangabey and a red-shanked douc langur. Unfortunately, there is only one left of each, but both seem active enough (based on my nonexistent knowledge of primate husbandry) and are faring well, if aging. I enjoy watching the douc langur every time I visit, as I know that my days of being able to see her are sadly numbered.
    [​IMG]
    Nothing in the Small Mammal House tends to stand out. There are a few boring enclosures for gerbil, pygmy marmoset, vampire bat, meerkat, etc. but nothing like the nocturnal portion and its wonderful collection that used to exist. The enclosures are adequate but nothing impressive. Outside lies the newest exhibit, Outback Outpost. Home to red kangaroo and emu, it was not worth phasing out okapi for. Down the way is African Plains. Side exhibits for rhino, zebra, giraffe, and hippo are all too small and void of any vegetation. Opposite, though, in a large, sprawling field are some of America's last mhorr gazelles, as well as (more recently) red river hogs. A small aviary, hard to see, is home to a pair of saddle-billed stork and trumpeter swan. As is characteristic of the zoo, there are both good and bad parts of this area.
    [​IMG]
    Carnivore Kingdom is the next exhibit encountered. A pair of adjoining red panda enclosures (labeled to the subspecies level- nice!) and a white-nosed coati exhibit greet visitors and all leave a nice impression. Next is an aviary for southern ground hornbill, which has awkward viewing but is great for the birds. The next few exhibits are embedded in mock rock, and home to dwarf mongoose, black-footed cat, and (formerly, though now empty) Canada lynx. Each provides everything the animals need and though not the prettiest, get the job done. The last exhibit is for one of the zoo's more famous species, giant otter. At one point a few years back they were the only collection breeding the species. The exhibit, however, doesn't do the species justice, and could be found anywhere. Outside, various exhibits hold bald eagles, cheetahs, maned wolves, turkey vultures/red breasted geese, and black and white colobus/African crested porcupine. Besides the new eagle exhibit, none stand out as great. More exhibits nearby have sloth bear, polar bear, and Asian black/spectacled (rotating exhibit) bear. Each is large enough but boring, and as some of the bears are aging it will be interesting to see what happens with this area.
    [​IMG]
    The zoo's birds are represented in three exhibits: Wings of Asia, an exhibit which costs $2 to enter and allows you to hand-feed a variety of birds, McNeil Avian Center, a building in all ways but the name a bird house, and Bird Valley, an older exhibit with dwindling collection home to primarily Humboldt penguins and American flamingos. All are nice though, and focus on different parts of the world with geographic theming and walk-through enclosures.

The Reptile and Amphibian House is fairly standard. The sole outside yard is home to a mix of tortoises, Aldabra and Galápagos. Inside, there is an indoor exhibit for these same species, and several crocodilians, most notably West African crocodile. This eventually connects to the central point of the building, two adjacent exhibits for forest and king cobra. Other halls branch out from this area; a desert themed area, one with larger aquatic species, and a myriad of amphibians and smaller species. No exhibit stands out, but none are bad.

The zoo's last section is KidZooU, a set of paths that has way too many goats, a duck pond that could easily be converted for endangered species but for some reason isn't, and a building. The building has fish tanks, budgerigars, rats, butterflies, and a few other species that fit no particular theme.

The Philadelphia Zoo, one of the nation's oldest, certainly shows its age in structure of some of the older exhibits. However, most are adequate, and changes are on the way. It will be interesting to watch this zoo grow more and hopefully become among the nation's best.

3. jayjds2

Today's the day!

My plans for Orlando leaves in about an hour and a half, and I can't wait to finally visit some more zoos in Florida as I've wanted to for a long time. The itinerary is still a bit subject to change, but here it is as of now:

Today (Sunday, June 25): Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park

Monday, June 26: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
    *time permitting, Clearwater Marine Aquarium

Tuesday, June 27: Jacksonville Zoo, St. Augustine Aquarium, St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park

Wednesday, June 28: Lemur Conservation Foundation*, Naples Zoo
    *I have arranged a visit here, to see the last remaining Sanford's lemur outside Madagascar, but it is normally open to the public one day a year.

Thursday, June 29: Zoo Miami

Friday, June 30: Frost Museum of Science, Palm Beach Zoo, Lion Country Safari, Busch Wildlife Sanctuary

Saturday, July 1: Brevard Zoo, Kennedy Spacd Center

I'm really looking forward to this trip!

Mehdi and Vision like this.
  4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

These may be stupid questions, so sorry if so:

Are you driving yourself around, or is it with family or friends or something like that?

Isn't it summer in Florida? Won't that be really hot and humid, or am I way off? The only reason I ask that is because of days like Friday with four collections to visit. I guess you've worked out the logistics of that, but just curious.

Also, you have something on your list called the Kennedy Space Center? Is that a typo for a zoo of some other name? :p

5. drill

drill Well-Known Member

The Duke lemur centre in Durham also has Sanford's Lemur.

6. jayjds2

I will be with family for this trip- my mom is coming with me but we're staying with family for a couple nights as well. We will be renting a car though, as my family who live there won't be traveling with us.

Yes, it will be very hot and humid. Last year, we went in July, which was even worse. That four facility day won't be too bad. The first is inside, and the third is the kind of thing where you drive around in your car (and probably feed the animals). Not usually too keen on those, but they have a hartebeest and pure western chimps which I would like to see.

The Kennedy Space Center is something my mom would like to see, so I was happy to add it on for her (honestly, I wish there was more I could do for her).

Nope. Not for years.

Anyways, I've landed now. Missed the first flight by exactly one minute, though 19 people missed the next flight so I got on it. Barely out of the airport and It's already cost $3.25 in tolls, typical of Florida.

7. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Why is Sanford's lemur then on their species list.

8. jayjds2

Because (as is well known) their site is out-of-date by quite a bit.

9. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What species of hartebeest does Busch
    Wildlife Sanctuary have?

10. jayjds2

It's actually Lion Country Safari, and it has a male Jackson's hartebeest.

Mehdi likes this.
  11. BossMayhem250

BossMayhem250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Honestly the Clearwater Aquarium isn't all that exciting, unless you want to see Winter (Dolphin from Dolphin Tale). It is a basic, newer aquarium. Like I said if you want to see the dolphin then I see why you would want to go. I think the Lowry Park Zoo is pretty good if you have never been. Also Kennedy Space Center is a really good end to your trip I really enjoyed it when I visited last summer.

12. jayjds2

Yes, Winter would be the reason for visiting (though it seems we won't be). I did a sweep of Florida last July, and visited both the Lowry Park Zoo and the Florida Aquarium, and enjoyed both.

13. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Does Lion Country Safari have a breeding troop of P. t. verus, or do they just have some number of wild-born chimps that are confirmed P. t. verus?

14. jayjds2

They have only one confirmed verus, but several that are wild-born (of unknown origin) and should be. Much breeding has taken place between these.

15. jayjds2

[​IMG]
    I went to Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park and I was expecting something similar to a national park. Instead, I got a zoo of native wildlife. And a hippo.

However, I must say, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of most of the park's exhibits. Rarer native species (Florida panthers, Key deer) and more common ones (such as alligators) received great qualities. The quality of avian exhibits was unfortunately lesser, with smaller aviaries. The hippo exhibit was a standard barren concrete slab and pool. The lone hippo was born in 1960 at the San Diego Zoo.

Despite the park being more of a zoo, I was still able to get a good amount of wildlife. Black vultures were everywhere, native waterfowl and anhinga dwelled in most ponds, and through one overlook I saw a wild manatee. In the winter, they let wild manatees closer to the springs (which are in the captive manatee enclosure) and move their three captive manatees elsewhere. It would be nice to return and see so many.

Though not what I was expecting, the park turned out to be a good display of native wildlife. There were some species I certainly wasn't expecting, such as Key deer, and it was a fun start to my Florida trip.
    [​IMG]

FunkyGibbon, Vision, Mehdi and 2 others like this.
  16. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Are the anhingas captive and where did they get a hippo from?

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

just FYI, the answers to both those questions are actually given in his post...

Mehdi likes this.
  18. jayjds2

As far as I could tell, the anhinga were all wild. The hippo came to the park from the San Diego Zoo in 1964, and has starred in many movies.

19. jayjds2

Zoo 2: Busch Gardens Tampa

Time Spent: 9 hours

Size of Zoo: 335 acres.

Busch Gardens Tampa was interesting. I knew it was more ride-heavy than similar facilities (namely Disney's Animal Kingdom) but I don't mind that unless they really intercede animal areas.

Busch Gardens Tampa (BG) is divided into sections. Some, such as Egypt and Morocco, are by country, while others like Bird Gardens are a miscellaneous name that applies more directly to the area. Theming is usually above average but not great, with an exception being the Egypt section which only contains two animal exhibits.

I didn't know what to expect from the park, but it seemed kind of a mixed bag. On one hand, both the roller coasters were great (I am a roller coaster enthusiast also), and most of the exhibits were great, but they tended to clash. Cheetah Hunt (which was very fun to ride) stuck out straight over multiple exhibits and the sky ride. However, it didn't affect immersion in the exhibits that were intended to be immersive, so I didn't mind.

Overall, exhibitry was nice. I enjoyed Myombe Reserve, and the gorilla exhibit is among the best I've seen. The chimpanzee exhibit was up there, but nothing will beat Kansas City. Jungala was great for the tigers, which unfortunately seem to be Bengal mixes. The orangutans had an out-of-place climbing structure, and could have used more space overall. The gibbon and flying fox exhibits were very nice however. There isn't much to say about the large, open savanna exhibit; it is nice all around. Elephants, as in many zoos, are a dark spot, but at least they had grass. The hippo exhibit is without a doubt one of the best I've seen. Lorikeet Landing was memorable because a bird landed on my head immediately upon my entry, then climbed down the bill of my hat before having an upside-down peek at me and flying away. The blue-throated piping guan which escaped my view in many other zoos was finally seen. A few other nice animals around the park were ground cuscus and red-necked ostrich. Rides were great all around, but I won't go into too much detail as this is a zoo forum.

BG was a fun visit that took quite a while. Though I had to backtrack through the park many times due to the charades that the weather decided to play, it all turned out well. The park leans towards rides over animals, but it is nothing when compared to Busch Gardens Williamsburg which has perhaps 10 exhibits for animals. I enjoyed my visit and will perhaps one day return.

On an unfortunate side note, I won't be able to upload photos for a couple days because my computer will no longer connect to wifi in my aunt's house.

20. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm enjoying your reviews and travelogue. I look forward to your review of the Frost Museum of Science in Miami. From reading about it it seems like a major aquarium that no one here has seen yet.

carl the birder and jayjds2 like this.