Join our zoo community

Haute-Touche Animal Reserve Haute-Touche Animal Reserve

Discussion in 'France' started by sooty mangabey, 15 Aug 2010.

1. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well @Kifaru Bwana I am not god !
    More serioulsy, it was not said.

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I never suggested anything other than you being the most well informed Zoologiques de France forumster. If anyone might know, it would be you. Sorry, for the inconvenience.

Antoine likes this.
  3. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wondered what happened to Antoinism

Antoine likes this.
  4. Antoine

Very good @Dassie rat I must start a new way of life :p

Thank you for what you suggested @Kifaru Bwana but, sometimes, my power has some limits : I can't know the sex of angels ;)

5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Angels are easily sexed, you pluck a few feathers and send them off for DNA analysis :)

Antoine and Dassie rat like this.
  6. Antoine

Some news with the reopening :
    - the red river hogs arrived and are visible in their new enclosure.
    - a sitatunga group arrived and there were already 3 births. They are in the grassy enclosure near the african pond.
    - arrival of pair of nilgais from the Ménagerie.
    These species are new to the park but nilgais were presented in the park some years ago.

7. Antoine

8. Antoine

Two recent births :
    - a beisa oryx,
    - 8 meerkats.

Therabu, Gil and twilighter like this.
  9. Antoine

Great news announced in a press release. The zoo has projects which will take shape late 2022/early 2023 :
    - a group of guinea baboons from Paris will arrive. The island has already been done and the money was just missing for the building. From what I heard the group will be for bachelors. A great news as Paris has 3 groups for just one enclosure !
    - the park will receive tonkean macaques and brown capuchins. Don't know more for the exhibits but the director told me last year that he was thinking about a mixed enclosure for tonkean macaques and babirusas (which are not a species at the park) in a large wooded area. Hope it could be done for real. Another possibility is that this two species could be put on two old islands which were due to welcome javan lutungs and javan gibbons. Will see.
    - the old white-tailed sea-eagles aviary will be enlarged and refurbished to allow better conditions for the birds.
    - some renovations will be done in the american moose enclosure, the park hoping to welcome a new trio (it is not specified if it's for mooses or elks and if the last single moose is still alive).

:)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.lano...che-accueillera-des-nouvelles-especes-en-2022

Therabu, Max Blundell, Brum and 3 others like this.
  10. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In Europe, the word 'elk' is often used as a synonym for 'moose'. In the USA, the word 'elk' is more often used as a synonym of 'wapiti'.

11. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

:eek: The tokean macaque and babirusa mix seems promising!

12. Antoine

Saddly, Towe, the last american moose living outside America, died at the age of 14 :( The male will be replaced by eurasian elk in the near future.

Haliaeetus and SivatheriumGuy like this.
  13. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

He will be missed.

14. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sira, the female striped hyena at Haute Touche, has given birth to two pups.

Max Blundell and Haliaeetus like this.
  15. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited this unique institution a week ago and unfortunately I have to inform that ( at least for me ) the biggiest rarity - Thailand's brow-antlered deers are no more part of the collection. I was told by a keeper that the animals died some months ago:(

Gil, Max Blundell and Therabu like this.
  16. TigerStripe

TigerStripe Well-Known Member

7 Dholes have been born recently :).

Gil and Haliaeetus like this.
  17. Antoine

Recent births : nubian ibex and a female beisa oryx :)

And arrival of a male nilgaut called Brice from Le Reynou. The park has now a pair and expect births in the near future.

Haliaeetus, Max Blundell, Gil and 3 others like this.
  18. Therabu

Therabu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited 2 weekds ago. It was a nice fall visit, most animals were active even if ungulates in the large conservation enclosures remained most of the time far away.

I enjoyed decent views of the white-tailed wildebeest group, quite an incredible-looking specie even though it looks like it far from common. There must be some 10 individuals with a few youngs and individuals separated. The new red river hog enclosure is simple but super large and naturel, maybe the best in Europe for this specie.
    I have counted 7 sambar deers (with youngs), 6 beisa oryx (one young), at least 4 gaurs, 5 Mishmi takins, 12 Mackenzie wolf!, more than 15 dholes and 14 hog deers, at least 8 Nubian ibex. A male European elk was visible and replaced the last American moose. On the other hand,other species were only representedby few individuals (2 or 3 Przewalski horse, scmitar-horned oryx). I can also confirm there is no more Siamese Eld's deer.

The deer collection is still amazing but I was stuck by how much space is dedicated to less important species such as axis deer, Japan sika deer, red deer, common fallow deer while the park should ratherhold more of the already present endangered species and rather host Bukhara deer, forest reindeer, white-lipped deer, Chinese water deer or Prince Alfred's deer. A similar diagnosis could be done for other ungulates group as well but cervids are a starck example as shown in the thread opened by Jurek7 : Making room on the ark – can rare zoo animals replace common ones in Europe?

Haliaeetus, Gil, Antoine and 2 others like this.
  19. Antoine

Gil and SivatheriumGuy like this.
  20. Antoine

As usual with the park take its time and the construction of the new guinea baboon island has just started. The island will be 2.000 square meters and the house 150 square meters. The exhibit will welcome 12 males from Paris.

Important news I missed to give before. The director Roland Simon retired after 14 years at the head of the park. He is replaced by Anthony Cerifice who was zoological director at Pescheray.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.lano...che-apres-avoir-triple-le-nombre-de-visiteurs