Join our zoo community

A review of Currumbin Wildife Park.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jake, 13 Oct 2019.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

(sighs) ok lets get this over with....

Upon entry to the park there is a large lorikeet feeding arena and other areas of interest that I didn’t see ( koala photos and cafes etc).

This place is HUGE, I don’t think we saw everything but we tried our best .

A small walk through aviary with native doves and parrots is to the left and to the right is the exit and Cape Barren Geese.

We walked through the walk through aviary and saw a huge lake with pelicans and followed it for a couple of hundred metres along a train line and under a bridge.

At this point I forget what came next with the exception of tassie devils and kangaroos.
    See @WhistlingKite24 Currumbin Review Thread.

Next was a crocodile walkover with Freshwater Crocodile and behind that a large (I think that the word Huge doesn’t do justice) Saltwater Crocodile.

Next was the new Lost Valley I saw

1 Binturong
    2 Red Panda
    3 Capybara
    2 Goodfellows Tree Kangaroo
    And 1 cassowary:p

In the Capybara house there was 2 enclosures with Land Mullet and Green Tree Snake

A little up the path was a gigantic walkthrough Aviary with......LEMURS!!!!!

I took a double take and It was true there was lemurs in there but I didn’t see any.

There was Golden Pheasant,Mandarin Ducks and other bird species that I couldn’t identify.

After that we walked all the way back to Blinky Bills Tree House and Nocturnal House

Upon entry to the reptile area/nocturnal house, I did a bit of a’ your a bloody idiot’ moment
    I got a phone for my birthday in August and didn’t know it had flash.

So imagine my shock when I took a photo of a Knob Tailed Gecko and my camera flashed....

I dropped my phone and was swearing and apologising profusely at the gecko.

I then left and saw a sign for a Ghost bats inside the Blinky Bill Treehouse.

I walked up a long winding stair case that said one way only.

I got to the top and only saw Green and Gold Bell frogs so I went down the way I went up.
    I know I’m a rebel ;)

Then we left

The End

2. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You found the Lost Valley? wow!
    But seriously, why is it called the Lost Valley? It seems a rather random name.

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Lost valley = mysterious land with animals

4. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

:eek: It appears the veiled chameleon and the boa constrictor in the capybara viewing area have been replaced. I wonder where these two animals went? Does anyone know?

5. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

On my last visit, the Boa Constrictor was in one of the reptile enclosures in the Blinky Bill area (near the nocturnal exhibits).
    Considering chameleons have relatively short lifespans, it wouldn’t surprise me if their chameleon has since passed away.

animal_expert01 likes this.
  6. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I went and had a look at Currumbin today and I was very impressed with Lost Valley: The enclosures for the Lumholtz tree kangaroos, red pandas, binturong and green iguana were very good. The enclosure for the cotton top tamarins was a bit small - perhaps an island exhibit would be better for them. The walkthrough enclosure for the ring tailed lemurs and various birds was absolutely magnificent though! And I thought the capybara enclosure was the best I'd ever seen for displaying capybara.

The other thing I loved today was the koala nursery: We saw a mother koala with a baby on its back, and another younger baby on the first baby's back! It was like a triple stack of koalas! In the next tree was a mother with 2 babies on her back - one on either side.

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Where was the iguana?

8. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When I visited the iguana was in a very large open topped iguana that was immediately to the right when you entered the Lost Valley. I uploaded photos to the gallery if you want to see the enclosure.

Grant Rhino likes this.
  9. PipsKeep

PipsKeep Member

Did you ask the staff member or volunteer in the lemur walkthrough where they were? The enclosure is manned whilst the lemurs are out and they (the lemurs) are given a rest between 12:30 and 1:30pm and go away for the day at 3pm, which is on the signs as you walk in. It is rare that they are not seen as they spend most of their time down near the public. The enclosure is huge, though.

There are signs for the birds too if you couldn't identify them and for anyone else who is wanting to visit.

10. PipsKeep

PipsKeep Member

The boa contrictor was too large for the enclosure so was moved and the chameleon was indeed old and has since passed.

11. Jake1508

Jake1508 Well-Known Member

@PipsKeep went months ago. And there wasn’t any sign of lemurs and there was no keepers anywhere.