Join our zoo community

A Review of Dolphinaria - 1986

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by John Dineley, 24 Nov 2010.

Tags:
  1. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

I have put up the complete 1986 "Review of Dolphinaria" report by Klinowska and Brown as it has long been out of print. Please by aware this is an historical document and should be judged as such but it makes interesting reading none the less.

I have linked it to some of the establishments in the text to photos in my UK Dolphinaria web site as being a scientific report the review has no photographs of establishments described.

I may at some point put in annotations.

Dr M Klinowska and Dr S Brown - A Review of Dolphinaria - 1986

2. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

very interesting, am I correct in thinking that the London dolphinarium was situated in Oxford Street of all places?, regarding the Weymouth show, as I remember it was situated at the rear of the Chipperfields fun fair at Westham car park, very much a temporary affair, I could be wrong but I do recall it was billed as a travelling dolphin show,indeed a circus fan friend of mine vividly recalls seeing a travelling dolphin show at a swimming pool in Stockton one winter in the early seventies, apparently the dolphins were reluctant to perform resulting in many of the patrons demanding their money back.

3. John Dineley

Yes The London Dolphinarium was situated at 65 Oxford Street - I walk pass the back of the building in Soho Square most days. It operated for about two years.

London Dolphinarium - Oxford Street

Two of the dolphins from here, Bonnie and Cylde, went to Woburn's dolphinarium.

There was indeed a Weymouth show for one season in 1970 with the animals being transferred to Coventry Zoo in 1971. These pair of animals were then exported to Germany in 1975.

Coventry Zoo

The was also an unconnected Southsea show operated for one season and the dolphins then were sold to Windsor Safari Park.

Southsea Dolphinarium - Portsmouth

At the close of Windsor in October 1992 all their dolphins went to Harderwijk Marine Mammal Park.

At least four of the Windsor animals are still a live today including three wild caught in 1969, 1972, and 1980 and captive bred animal from 1984. Harderwijk has an excellent breeding record with 23 of their current 31 animals having been bred at the park.

And the last three dolphins (all female) to leave the UK from Flamingoland in 1993 are all still alive in various European aquaria and have bred successfully.

Travelling Shows

There where a couple of travelling winter shows in the 1970s including ones I was involved in when I worked for the Margate Dolphinarium group but I am unsure of any in Stockton. However there was a winter show in a public swimming pool in Rotherham in 1975 and in the early 70's Flamingo Park (as it was then) did have some winter 'travelling shows' in Newcastle and Leeds and various other places which could have included Stockton.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2010
  4. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

Dolphins appearing in Oxford Street, amazing, however I think I am correct in stating that they were not the only dolphins to appear in central London, didn't some appear in a west end show swimming with scantily clad young ladies in a show produced by impresario Paul Raymond. Regarding Ocean Park , Seaburn, the last year dolphins appeared there would be 1975, i n 1976 Martin Lacey took over the running of this establishment and presented his lion show instead of the dolphins, this park closed at the end of the 1979 season and was later demolished, Mr. Lacey then concentrating on his circus work with lions and tigers, and as most of us know still does to this day

5. John Dineley

Yes two dolphins called 'Penny' and 'Pixie' for 12 weeks. I was one of the trainers who looked after them. They moved to Flamingoland when the show closed.

Pictures and info HERE

It was the Nolan's who leased the Flamingoland dolphinarium from 1975 until 1977 who supplied the dolphins for this - I actually think it was one dolphin at Seaburn.

It was a joint venture with a local business man John Collins. The Nolan's also bought the above mentioned 'Penny' and 'Pixie'. I stayed at the park in October 1973 as I had friends who where managing the animal collection there.

SEABURN & SOUTH ELMSALL DOLPHINARIUM

6. John Dineley

I now have put up a copy of the Steering Group report that codified the findings of Klinowska and Brown and was the basis of the new UK dolphin keeping regulations in the UK.

Dolphinaria: Report of the Steering Group

7. frances williams

frances williams New Member

Hi John - are you able to shed light on how Penny and Pixie achieved their delicate feat for Paul Raymond?