Join our zoo community

A Review of The Halls Gap Zoo

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jake, 1 Jan 2020.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

The Halls Gap Zoo is an amazing facility located at the foot of the Grampians near to the South Australian/Victorian Border

I’m still getting used to the scientific names of animals so please excuse me if I get them wrong or I don’t put a scientific name at all.

Upon enter in to the park is a large decent gravel and sand car park, with a small triangle entry way into the Zoo. Once inside the entry there are 3 tanks for exotic species of animal.

I could see a species of Star Tortoise, a Pig Nose Turtle and a small tank for an Australian Tarantula.The gift shop is also located here.Walking into the actual zoo on the right is 2 medium size Exhibits with Golden Lion Tamarins, 1 in each Exhibit. One had no tail.

Continuing right is a large Exhibit for a large Saltwater Crocodile (Crocodylus Porosus)

The Saltwater Crocodile has an inside area, it’s head body was sticking out of the covered area.

Walking back around finds you at the corner of the Nocturnal house and a Common Boa Exhibit.

Just Inside the Nocturnal house there is a medium size tank with a Boyd’s Forest Dragon. Around the corner and entering the Nocturnal house is a large Exhibit for Squirrel Gliders and Bettongs. Next to that is an Exhibit with some species of small mammal. I should add that the Nocturnal house is in a circle.
    Next to the unknown animal Exhibit is a large Exhibit for a Common Brushtail Possum who was a thick boi!

Next to that was an Exhibit for Feathertailed Gliders, I don’t know how many, I only saw one. Then the is an array of small animal tanks, I can only remember a Gila Monster and Spinifex Hopping Mice in this area. Leaving the Nocturnal house and going up I saw a mixed Exhibit with Cotton Top Tamarins, Sun Conure and Agouti in a large Exhibit. Then I saw in no particular order

A Burmese Python
    A Fennec Fox
    The Saltie from earlier
    And
    Pygmy Marmosets

Now onto the Dinosaurs. There were literally animatronic dinosaurs here. In front of the Dinosaurs were Domestic Pigs and Mini Ponies.To the left was a walkway through trees and bushes and a Hog Deer Exhibit with a small aviary with Long billed Corella. A massive eagle Exhibit is to the right and straight ahead is the Giraffe Exhibit. The Giraffes neighbor was a flock of Himalayan Tahr. Following the path is an Exhibit for Mute Swan with Cygnets and next to that is the Barbary sheep and Walkthrough Kangaroo Exhibit. Walking through the Kangaroo Exhibit is a pair of Ostrich (Struchio Camelus) and opposite them is a pair of massive Bison (Bison Bison) and there he was.....the biggest White Rhinoceros I’ve seen in my life. Then there was a walkthrough Rock Wallaby Exhibit, 2 separate Serval Exhibits, an array of Bird and Parrot species, Primates and a Cassowary Exhibit. Then there was a Tasmanian devil Exhibit... oh boy are people stupid.

In front of me was about 20 people all with little kids, one man LIFTS a small child and puts her into the Exhibit and tells his wife” Can they keep her in here” and just as he lifts the child out,4 Tasmanian Devils Rush the young girl and the dad rushed to scoop his daughter out of the pen. Then the wife remarks the father about how much of a good daddy he is! I walked into the next Exhibit with Wapiti Deer and Canadian Geese inside. Across from there is a massive Cheetah Exhibit and from there it’s back across to the front.

animal_expert01, Jambo, Tafin and 4 others like this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member

You should have said to him, “Hey mate, why don’t you walk up and pet the Southern cassowary. I hear they’re real friendly.” :p

Tafin likes this.
  3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It actually was really friendly,what about the rhino!

Tafin and Zoofan15 like this.