Join our zoo community

Wildlife HQ Zoo A Review of Wildlife HQ

Discussion in 'Australia' started by WhistlingKite24, 3 Jul 2018.

1. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Hello,

I am brand new to Zoochat, and thought I would begin, with a review of a local zoo- Wildlife HQ. Any questions are welcome and I want reinforce that this is my own opinion and experience. I will also possibly compare a few elements of Wildlife HQ, with Alma Park Zoo, of which I was quite familiar with.

Wildlife HQ, formerly ‘Queensland Zoo’, opened in 2014, due to Alma Park Zoo’s closure. This was my first visit to the zoo, and overall, I was impressed and pleased with the progress of Wildlife HQ. In recent years, they have received new species, and have renovated and expanded existing enclosures and structures. In comparison to Alma Park Zoo, what it lacks in very lush gardens, it gains with space, more sunlight and a higher diversity of species.

The zoo can be roughly divided into the ‘Friendship Farm’, ‘Free Ranging Kangaroos’ area, ‘Free Ranging Wallabies’ area, ‘South American Trail’, ‘African Plains’, and ‘Asian Rainforest’. Located in the midst of the Big Pineapple, the initial section mainly consists of farm animals; cows, miniature horses., pigs, guinea pigs, alpacas, and later on a sheep/goat walkthrough. These enclosures were satisfactory and offer no additional point of discussion. Amongst the farm animals, you then encounter the ‘Reptile Barn’, which was a little unexpected, but still very impressive. Although it lacked detailed signage, this area uses the space of the heritage-listed barn, very effectively. Compared to the very unusual Reptile House at the former Alma Park Zoo, this a significant improvement. There were 14 tanks, which were fixed into the wall area, producing a sleek finish. The species list includes; Albino Carpet Python, Spotted Tree Monitor (a new species for me), a pair of American Alligator hatchlings, Central Netted Dragons, Rhinoceros Iguana juveniles, Darwin Carpet Python, Black-headed Python, Diamond Python, Corn Snake, Woma Python, a Burmese Python juvenile, a Boa Constrictor, a large Olive Python (which had the largest tank) and Freshwater Crocodile juveniles. All were seen easily, and the area had good lighting.

After the Reptile Barn, two recently-built open-topped enclosures were present. They contained Freshwater Crocodile, and a recent addition, an average-sized Saltwater Crocodile. These enclosures were well-planted and contained a reasonably sized pool in each. As you continue up the path, a mismatch of enclosures were found; a herd of Blackbuck (I believe they used to reside where the Wild Dog are now, near the Asian section), two male capybara (They have a new enclosure being built), a lushly-planted and shaded cassowary enclosure, and then adjacent to this, a disjointed, but spacious enclosure for an emu, a female Fallow Deer, Bennett’s Wallaby (unusual for the Queensland climate however were the subspecies at Alma Park Zoo) and Swamp Wallaby. This is also a good time to mention, that the first two sections of the zoo, are home to a lot of free ranging domestic chickens, roosters, ducks, guineafowl and peacocks. There was no sign of the Himalayan Tahr; I fear this species has joined the long list of diminishing species in Australasian zoos. There was an additional enclosure for lace monitor, and an unusual concreted caged structure (unfortunately I didn’t take a photo), for Central Breaded Dragon and Eastern Blue-tongue Lizard.

Entering the kangaroo area of Wildlife HQ, were a series of enclosures for rescued birds (a Tawny Frogmouth, a female Masked Owl and Laughing Kookaburra). In particular, the Laughing Kookaburra enclosure was small, but I later uncovered that these birds couldn’t fly, due to motor vehicle accidents. The Masked Owl enclosure, was very tall and spacious, and had a very attractive mural of Australian animals, covering a once dull side. Following down another path, there was a glass-fronted burrow, and opened topped enclosure for Rufous Bettong, and Southern Hairy-nosed Wombats. There was also an additional enclosure for another wombat. They were surprisingly quite lush, and also had individual glass-fronted burrows. In addition to this, of course were the obligatory, Eastern Grey Kangaroo, Red Kangaroo, and Emu.

To enter into the free-ranging wallaby area, you encounter a very lush and thick forest (reminiscent of Alma Park Zoo). This area possessed more shaded areas, with an abundance of shrubs and mature trees. The first open-topped enclosure in this section was for a Tasmanian devil, followed by the ‘European Rabbit’ enclosure. I am not sure that combing cute lopped-ears plump bunnies, and signage showcasing poisoning and control methods, is a harmonious match. However, they were the first rabbits I’ve seen in a Queensland zoo since the legislation allowed for zoos to house them. So, believe it or not, seeing domestic rabbit is quite unusual, even for the average Queenslander, who cannot keep them as pets.

The bunnies made way for a standard koala enclosure, holding females, and a few emerging joeys. Further down the hill, was an enclosure for a male Koala, and a Quokka, nothing special here. An open topped enclosure for a tame Sulphur-crested cockatoo was also present. Further on, there was an unsigned enclosure for a family group of Long-nosed Potoroos. I was surprised they were so active in an open-topped enclosure, during midday. Very cute critters and an unexcepted find.

The only parrots on display at the zoo, were pairs of Eclectus Parrot and Red-tailed Black Cockatoo (I must have missed the macaws, they weren’t on the map though). Both were spacious, and I assume at least the male Eclectus Parrot was hand raised, due to his habit of flying down to greet every person who walked past. Another Tasmanian Devil enclosure was present, again the standard open topped enclosure. This one was a bit small. Continuing towards the exit of this area, a Nocturnal Animals area was present (a corrugated building with two very dark sections, one with Mountain Brushtail Possum and the other for Squirrel Gliders). If they were visible, visitor viewing would of be pretty poor. I think they should possibly build a new Nocturnal area/house (however I use always usually want a bigger and better Nocturnal House/area). The free-ranging animals consisted of an Albino Bennett’s Wallaby, Bennett’s Wallaby, Swamp Wallaby, an Emu and a pair of Cape Barren Geese.

Making your way towards the exotics, you encounter a pair of standard Meerkat enclosures (I counted six meerkats in total). They were a little out of place, however I am glad they tried to incorporate a few succulents in their enclosure. In comparison to Alma Park Zoo former dingo enclosures, the pair of grassed dingo enclosures up next, were a huge improvement. In addition to the greater size, there were now more climbing structures and vantage points, and foliage screening for the dingoes. They were pretty entertained watching a keeper mow the grass in one of the adjoining areas.

This particular section offers an intersection, where you either go up the ‘South American Trail’, or see the ‘African Plains’ and the ‘Asian Rainforest. I first saw the Ring-tailed Lemur enclosure, which offered a good amount of land and walking space for the lemurs. It was a definite improvement to the small Lemur Island at Alma Park Zoo. The larger baboon enclosure, finally gave the baboons access to sunlight and the natural elements (it was raining on and off the day I went). They also a range of enrichment items, a pool, and supplementary browse. There was a young male, and three females, and no sign of young.

I decided to go to the South American section, before the Asian area. Adjacent to the baboon, was the capuchin enclosure. It was adequate and was similar to the former Alma Park Zoo enclosure. There were three males foraging. The next enclosure was probably my favourite enclosure in this area. A large group (around six to eight) of Emperor Tamarins, had a very lush and spacious enclosure. It was also quite tall. There were very active (as most marmosets and tamarins). Next to this enclosure, was a standard enclosure, with a small pool for an American Alligator. A glass-fronted (a bit murky) enclosure held a Green Iguana, and further down was an adequate enclosure for Common Marmoset, who were nestling in their nest box. The Cotton top Tamarin enclosure, and additional Common Marmoset enclosure, were also of a similar fashion; medium-sized, aviary-style, and well-planted. There seems to be less Common Marmosets and Cotton Top Tamarins present than usual, there must have been some transfers. The next similar-style enclosure was for a pair of Golden Lion Tamarin; a truly gorgeous species. One of the tamarins was missing its tail. A good-sized enclosure, for three Spider Monkeys was next, and was another improvement from the enclosure at Alma Park Zoo. The pygmy marmoset enclosure had very fine mesh, making it quite difficult to spot them.

Overlapping the African and Asian section, the African Wild Dog (eight brothers), had a medium-sized enclosure. Covering the length of the adjacent Red Panda and Binturong enclosure, the Wild Dog would run across the lengthways of the fence, surveying passing visitors. This area possessed an electric fence, with an additional taller fence line. The dogs had a pool, a series of vantage points, and tunnels. It was fascinating to witness when a subordinate male stepped out of line, the dominant male would quickly nip the male’s thighs, and male would immediately cower.

The newly-renovated Red Panda enclosure, was the standard corrugated iron enclosure, with very lush planting and the animals have many hiding places. I only saw one emerge for a few minutes, but I still assume they still have the two males (If my memory serves me right they arrived at Alma Park, in 2009, making them around 10ish or older). The first of the two binturong enclosure, was in a similar fashion; heavily planted and open topped. The next binturong enclosure was a big smaller, and well planted also. It was good to compare both binturong; one individual was a bit more larger and darker and had thicker fur. A large Burmese Python, had an aviary-style enclosure. An Asian-themed aviary, which a few parrots, pheasants, doves or finches, would not look out of place here (but I always think you can never have too many birds).

The final enclosure was for the Malayan Sun Bear, who had a very spacious tall-fenced enclosure, with a night house. There were a series of tall climbing structures, trees, and a hammock, which the bear took full advantage of, during my visit. She was also enjoying ripping apart a hessian bag of dried bamboo, and chickpeas. It a shame she will probably never contribute any cubs to the “breeding program”, however she does make a good ambassador animal.

Overall, Wildlife HQ is a good little zoo. Being only around 15 mins from Australia Zoo, Wildlife HQ maintains a steady flow of visitors, which will hopefully increase in the near future. Across the zoo, their seems to be many developments and renovations, which is always a positive. The improvement of few of the rushed areas, and landscaping (some paths especially in the South American trail), would improve the overall appearance of some areas. To round out good collections of mammals and reptiles, more birds (maybe a themed aviary in each geographical aviary would be nice), would also greatly benefit the zoo. An expansion of the nocturnal area would also be nice, to include additional species, such as quoll. However, I understand as a privately run zoo, it is one step at a time. I would definitely recommend a visit to this place, as it can only improve, from strength to strength.

2. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Nice review. Have you been to the Darling Downs zoo?

3. WhistlingKite24

Yes, it is one of my favourite zoos:).

Jake and Zorro like this.
  4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Have you seen the DDZ tiger ?

5. WhistlingKite24

A bit off-topic, but yes I have:) and her predecessor, a generic tiger, I think her name was Samara. The enclosure on a whole, was very well-planted.

Jake likes this.
  6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Sorry about it being off topic but thanks for your info ;)

WhistlingKite24 likes this.