Join our zoo community

Dartmoor Zoo Dartmoor Zoo News

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by foz, 16 Feb 2009.

1. BearCat

BearCat Well-Known Member

2. Kerry

Kerry Member

Very sad news that tigress Stripe passed away in April which just leaves her brother Vlad as the only remaining tiger at Dartmoor. She was a lovely cat, stunning in fact and will be much missed. Also cheetah Sita has passed away, she came from Paignton Zoo to "retire" at Dartmoor, again a lovely cat. RIP Stripe and Sita...

3. BearCat

Very sad news indeed, but both lived to be a very good age, Sita in particular. I've just checked their Animal list on their website, and it appears that both lynx have passed on as well. Can you confirm this? And do you know of any plans to, not replace the cats, but fill their niche? I'm sure Vlad will live out his days at the park.

4. BearCat

Just found out on the facebook page that both lynx passed away last year.

5. Kerry

Kerry Member

I must admit that I did not know this until your post, sad that they have passed away, such beautiful cats too. I don't know of any plans as to what they will do about getting in other animals but sadly Dartmoor can no longer boast that they have the biggest collection of big cats in the South West. It will be very upsetting to see Vlad all alone in his enclosure that's for sure.
    I do wish that the Zoo would keep us supporters up to date with their animals, other zoos do this and we do care, annoyingly they seem preoccupied with a silly gimmick advert audition for children at the moment rather than letting us know what is happening with the animals.

6. markymark

markymark Member

That's sad news, since I visited 2 years ago then they have now lost both Lynx, 3 tigers, sovereign the jaguar, and sita the cheetah, having lost Soloman the male lion and ben the bear just before I visited. Surely they need to bring some more animals in soon? I hope so, because one of my favourite friendly zoo's but it wasn't a very large collection.

7. Red Fox

Red Fox Active Member

Still searching for news of the shaun ellis wolves? Does anyone know anything about what happened to them. I have asked several times since last year but cannot get a reply.

8. Kerry

Kerry Member

9. Red Fox

Red Fox Active Member

The question has been asked many times Kerry. And no - they were not re-located to the centre. Kim and Shaun were devastated by the fact they could not take them. The zoo gave them a deadline they could not meet and the wolves were signed over to the zoo. I received one reply from the zoo which only hi-lighted the problems in re-locating pack animals and said to keep watching social media. But I have seen no posts referring to them. This was a year ago.

10. J0nny666

J0nny666 Member

To clear it up, the pack of four wolves and one hybrid were moved to Combe Martin Wildlife Park some months ago, and the remaining three wolves once owned by Shaun Ellis are still being kept at Dartmoor, however were off show for quite a while

11. James Balkwill

James Balkwill Member

I remember I while ago on this thread or another that Dartmoor zoo had been allowed by the stud book to have Sumatran tigers and Amur leopards. So maybe do something with those empty enclosures for those specials. I do guess that money is an issue though.

12. Red Fox

Red Fox Active Member

Thank you for your reply. Strangely enough - we are visiting Combe Martin next week and I noticed on their animal listing that there were now 7 wolves in the grey wolf enclosure and I did wonder? We will go visit our old friends. I am glad they went home - that feels right. But sad that they have been separated. They have been an inspiration to many people. It would have been perfect for them to all be side by side as they always have been - but that said - we can see everyone has done their best

13. Red Fox

Red Fox Active Member

Amur leopards would be great - they are very rare now. Twycross have a pair which have bred successfully. Very special.

14. BearCat

15. Red Fox

Red Fox Active Member

That's great news. Well done them.

16. markymark

markymark Member

That's great news for the 2 lions, especially the male. I used to visit him quite a lot at both Combe Martin and Newquay where he was previously known as Samson and after being pushed out by his 2 brothers and then not accepted by Connie in Newquay, it's about time he settled down with another lion.

On a completely different note, does anyone know the history of the bears at Dartmoor? Where did they come from?

17. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

18. BearCat

Two Amur tigers, Alisha and Dragan, have arrived from Berlin.

19. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

20. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

A little embarrassing at best,grossly incompetent more probable. In its enclosure for less than a day and it escapes.:eek:

Just hope it gets found and re-captured without any harm to it or local residents!