Join our zoo community

Dartmoor Zoo Dartmoor Zoo News

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by foz, 16 Feb 2009.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Knowing the reputation of Jaguars, I don't think you are being paranoid, even if it has always contained the occupant(s) okay.

2. ian999

ian999 Active Member 10+ year member

Blotch the Amur Tiger has been PTS to avoid any further suffering, test confirmed that she was in advanced stages of cancer according to the parks Facebook page today

3. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

How many Tigers do Dartmoor hold now? Is it just Stripe? I know her auntie Tazmin had that seperate house built for in the original tiger enclosure (did hold jaguar for a while)? If she is still there she must be ancient by now??

4. ian999

ian999 Active Member 10+ year member

According to there Facebook page they have 2 Tigers left Stripe and her younger brother Vlad.

5. Kerry

Kerry Member

Riziki's post above got me thinking about Tazmin, I did some research and could not find any news of her passing or being moved on so I posted a message on their Facebook page asking after her and I am delighted to say that she is still there alive and kicking!

By my estimates she is about 18 now, I have a photo somewhere of her info sheet at Dartmoor - I will try and track it down to confirm this unless anyone else knows for sure?

Some good news anyway after the very sad news about Blotch and also Connie the lioness passing at Newquay recently.

6. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Tazmin was one of the trio of cubs born at Blackpool in 1996, I believe.

7. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

New species at the zoo 0.2 black tailed marmoset.

8. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

does anyone know what has happened to the 3 Grant zebras and where are they?

9. okapis

okapis Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Dont know if they were the ones from Longleat which came some time ago,but was told that at least one died after been given vasectomy,if not 2 but all 3 died at Dartmoor.

10. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They are indeed from Longleat and that's terrible to hear that.

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

12. bigcat speciali

bigcat speciali Well-Known Member

"Danny Bamping: In the last 24 hours I have turned down interviews with Sky News; BBC Worldwide and now being on the Sofa on BBC Breakfast - I have past these media opportunities on to Benjamin Mee the Owner of Dartmoor Zoo - who has a few Tigers [just like france!] and needs all the exposure and help he can get! Please see the link below - and the crowd funding starts on Monday! Good luck to them..."
    Crowdfund Dartmoor Zoo, a Environment project from Plymouth, Devon Crowdfunding on Crowdfunder.co.uk

Danny is one of these self confessed "big cat experts" of the UK "big cat cryptozoology" groups, who believes in that the UK is awash with "big cats". "Danny Bamping from the British Big Cat Society, which researches wild cats, told Newsbeat it was highly unlikely there were tigers, lions or leopards on the loose in the UK.
    "But there could be other types of wild felines," he says. "70% of sightings in Britain are of big black cats. "We have thousands of sightings reported to us every year.
    "Do we have a hybrid type of cat that's unique to science here? I would say, yes."

13. SnowCat

SnowCat Well-Known Member

Jasiri, male African lion arrived at the zoo today.

14. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

I'm guessing this is their new name for Samson. By the looks of it his enclosure is where Tazmin the Siberian Tiger was, not sure what has happened to her then?

15. SnowCat

SnowCat Well-Known Member

Tazmin sadly died as did Soloman.

16. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. BearCat

BearCat Well-Known Member

A third Brazilian tapir calf has been born at the park. It's a boy and has been named 'Rofilho'.

18. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jaguar are back in the collection - a young male (called Chincha) arrived from Parc de Felines earlier in the week

20. Red Fox

Red Fox Active Member

Timber Wolves

Has anyone heard what is happening with the timber wolves at Dartmoor? If they have been moved and if so where - are they all still together or separated? These are the wolves that belonged to Shaun Ellis - one pack on display - another off display. They were signed over to the zoo but the zoo have not committed to keeping them. Does anyone have any news?

Last edited: 21 Jun 2015