Join our zoo community

A Trip to the Zoo Capital of Europe - February 2018

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Fallax, 4 Jan 2018.

1. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Of course, I am talking about Germany, specifically Berlin. I am travelling with my family so I am limited to one day at each zoo which I have already been told probably isn't enough but I can make compromises and priorities. I am arriving on the evening of the 18th but I leave in the afternoon of the 22nd which gives me 3 full days and a bit extra on the last day before I leave. I am staying near Checkpoint Charlie which is ideal as many of the main attractions that me and my family want to see are there, the only really longer distance is Tierpark. My current plan is to spend the first and last full days at the zoos (not sure which one to do first) while doing something different on the middle day such as visiting museums and monuments. The day I leave, I will also probably go to a few small places.

I will be writing a review on both zoos on this thread so hopefully you will all enjoy what I have to say. Also like I said earlier, I know getting round both zoos in a day each is not going to be easy and I will have to choose what I want to see and what I can miss. The main things I want to see are animals which I have never seen before and the highlight exhibits. I would appreciate it if I could get any help regarding creating the best possible route around the two zoos, for that I will list my 'priority' species for each zoo but first I must ask the question. Which zoo should I visit first? I want to sort of save the best one for last.

Anyway here are my priority species for each zoo (I'm taking these from the website but if they are anything like Chester's website they might be missing of them really cool animals):

Zoo Berlin:
    • Arctic Wolf
    • Asian Black Bear
    • Baird's Tapir
    • Bonobo
    • Gaur
    • Giant Panda
    • Hamadryas Baboon
    • King Penguin
    • Northern Fur Seal
    • Nyala
    • Polar Bear
    • Siberian Ibex
    • Sloth Bear
    • South African Fur Seal
    Tierpark Berlin:
    • American Black Bear
    • Black Lemur
    • Chacoan Peccary
    • Collared Anteater
    • Gelada
    • Mongoose Lemur
    • Silvery Marmoset
    • West Indian Manatee
    I feel like the websites were quite mammal orientated so if there is any real gems please tell me! (Maybe keep in mind I am a Chester regular in terms of what could be considered a 'really rare species' for most i.e. Tuatara).

Also please inform me on what some of the best exhibits are because I won't want to miss them!

Any questions, I can try and answer to the best of my ability.

I'm really excited for this trip and I hope when I write my review it will be readable :p

Last edited: 4 Jan 2018
  2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The northern fur seal has left the zoo I believe.

TeaLovingDave and FunkyGibbon like this.
  3. Fallax

Zootierlsite says they are still there.

4. kiang

I was there in September and they were not in the pool and I subsequently heard it or they had been moved to a collection in Italy

5. robmv

robmv Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You're right: I looked into this after failing to see them in June and they were sent to Zoosafari di Fasano in May 2017.

kiang likes this.
  6. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Zootierliste unfortunately isn’t the most reliable source of information, as I have recently discovered myself, it can take some time to update if information isn’t readily available and in some cases it can be years out of date.

When I went, I also did what you suggested in ‘saving the best for last’ - I did Berlin Zoo first and Berlin Tierpark second, simply because the species I wanted to see the most was at the second location. I would say it all depends on what excites you the most. I would always save that for last!

7. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The quality of the Zootierliste relies on the collective effort of those willing to use it effectively. Beccasunbear and all others, could improve it actively by reporting & adding updates and changes to collections. For the benefit of all.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jan 2018
    Joker1706, bongorob, Vision and 2 others like this.
  8. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Other animals you might not have seen before and shouldn't miss:
    Tierpark:3 types of takin, Chacoan mara, Harpy eagle, tamandua, musk ox, cock of the rock
    Zoo: James and Andean flamingo. Don't bother looking for the kiwi, it's an unwritten law of German zoos that they have all the kiwis but don't let anyone see them.
    Gerenuk is present at both.
    You can easily do the zoo in one day, even in February, although would be difficult to do the aquarium as well if it's your first time. You can get a combined zoo/aquarium ticket but unfortunately you have to do it all on one day. The aquarium is open until 6 so leave that until you have been around the zoo.
    The Tierpark is more of a challenge, although doable if you are there from opening until closing time in the summer. You won't manage it all in the winter. I don't know how old you are, but you could encourage the less zooey members of your party to have a sit down and coffee while you zip off for an hour or two.
    Don't worry if you don't see everything, you can easily go back in the future. Have a good trip.

9. kiang

I saw the kiwi, that was about midday and food had just been laid out for it, but it is very easy to overlook their enclosure in the bird house. It was the tuataras that evaded me.

ericnielsenpdx and devilfish like this.
  10. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm glad the situation has changed. The kiwis moved into the new bird house last Easter after my most recent visit. Walsrode has new kiwi viewing facilities which are apparently improved, so that only leaves Frankfurt with invisible kiwis.

The regular visitor to Chester probably doesn't even stop to look for the tuatara in Berlin.

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

They do if they want to see all the tuatara legally in European collections (minus the handful of offshow youngsters at Chester) :p

12. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I too saw the kiwi back in August 2017, their new exhibit in the Bird House makes viewing way easier than it seemed to be in the past.

Adding to having missed the tuataras and cururos at ZG Berlin, I must also note that I missed the cock-of-the-rock at TP Berlin along with a few other members which I know have missed them too so be aware the last individual left in the Crocodile House is not one of the most active from what I can see!

13. Fallax

Thanks for the help guys. The map online isn't very helpful :/

14. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Most of your priority species for Tierpark can be found in and around the Pachyderm House (Dickhäuterhaus) with marmosets, tamanduas and manatees, as well as echidnas, hyraxes, lowland pacas, small rodents and of course elephants and rhinos. Geladas and lemurs are kept at the Affenhaus. In the area between both buildings, you can find rare species like aardwolf, gerenuk and reedbuck. Close to the Affenhaus is the area for Central Asian mountain mammals, especially rare goat and sheep.

15. Fallax

It is a week until my trip! Does anyone know of some of Berlin's hidden gems which I should make sure not to miss?

16. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Have an amazing trip! Not jealous, honest!

Fallax likes this.
  17. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@PaleoMatt: If you get there early, the lights in the Nocturnal basement (inside the Carnivore House) will be off and as such you might have great opportunities for photography

Make sure to look for the small passerines inside the Bird House, it might seems like nothing but there are some true rarities there including Vinaceous finch and African quailfinch

Otherwise, the manucode is kept in the Fasanerie but that is hard to miss :p

I hope you will have a great visit, I certainly enjoyed mine a few months ago!

18. Batto

The Neni restaurant and the Monkey Bar allow for a great view over Zoo Berlin from above. Mastro Pizza at Nollendorfplatz serves great pizza. Munch's Hus offers lovely Norwegian food, Angkor Wat's good for Cambodian dishes. And there are several nice Chinese hot pot restaurants, the mediveal themed Tafelrunde Berlin, Curry36...

19. Fallax

I have heard of the many places to eat! One problem is there is too many, how can I choose?

20. Batto

Choose what you like, always wanted to try out or what is most conveniently to reach.