Join our zoo community

Rainbow Jungle A visit to Rainbow Jungle, Kalbarri

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Goura, 20 Feb 2013.

1. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Rainbow Jungle was established in 1984 and the following is a quote from the Kalbarri Tourist Office website:

When we first set out to create Rainbow Jungle in 1984, we had only one ambition....To Be The Best.
    Rainbow Jungle is now a world leader in the breeding of endangered species and is regarded as Australias most beautiful parrot habitat.

More information can be found at this link:
    Rainbow Jungle & Cinema Parrotiso

As mentioned in the Rainbow Jungle gallery, the establishment is now for sale and they are looking to sell for around $4 million.

I last visited on the 8th of February and at 10 am the temperature was already 42 degrees and although there was plenty of clean water, most of the birds (especially those in the walkthrough area) were perched in the shade or on the ground trying to preserve their energy.

The gardens are quite lush with a number of tropical plants and water features although I did notice they weren't quite as well maintained as on a previous visit some years ago.

As a visitor, you enter through the shop which sells the usual 'zoo shop' products and when you walk through you are in a walled in area with arrows directing you through the various sections.
    Most aviaries consist of brick walls with netting fronts, quite solid and well constructed.
    In the walled garden near the 'whale watching tower' there is a large aviary which advertises birds for sale - there is also a section on their website which provides these details although I don't know when it was last updated.

Species list as follows:

Walkthrough area –
    Purple-crowned lorikeet
    Australian King parrot
    Red-winged parrot
    Regent parrot
    Superb parrot
    Princess parrot
    Hooded parrot
    Red-capped parrot
    Gouldian finch
    Star finch
    Painted finch

Other species –
    Red-tailed Black cockatoo
    Yellow-tailed Black cockatoo
    Western Longbilled corella
    Sulphur crested cockatoo
    Eclectus parrot
    Golden shouldered parrot
    Scarlet chested parrot
    Bourke’s parrot
    Mulga parrot
    Northern rosella
    Eastern rosella
    28 parrot
    Port Lincoln parrot
    Musk lorikeet
    Little lorikeet
    Varied lorikeet
    Black headed caique
    Sun conure
    Blue and Gold macaw
    Scarlet macaw
    Green-winged macaw
    Alexandrine parakeet
    Plum-headed parakeet
    Malabar parakeet
    Fischer’s lovebird

2. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

$4m!

Would I be right in guessing this would be a price aimed at developers, rather than somebody who might continue the business?

3. Goura

That might be true but the tourist industry in the area has suffered something of a blow in the last couple of years which is unfortunate because it has a lot to offer - the disadvantage of basing your economy on tourism i guess. It might just mean that the owner can't afford the upkeep anymore.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

from the species list in the first post, they seem like a lot of pretty standard avicultural species with very few endangered species

5. Goura

Yes I agree - I'm not sure if they used to have more threatened species although considering they are in Australia that list would be fairly limited anyway...night parrots? ground parrots? Of all the species they currently hold, the Golden shouldered parrot is the only one that would fit this category.

The claim is rather misleading.

6. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Visited the place about 12 years ago for first and only time. Very nice setup, well landscaped considering it is all parrot species. However $4 million? Kalbarri is a tourist destination, but pretty limited market. Most Perth people wouldn't know it exists unless they have previously visited.