Join our zoo community

A Visit to The South Eastern Czech Republic

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by LaughingDove, 9 Oct 2016.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Great little reviews @LaughingDove, these Czech collections sound like they were well worth visiting (although more so in summer it appears). In terms of exhibit quality, how did they compare with Prague and Plzen? These are the only two Czech zoos I have visited, both in the depths of winter with much off-display (especially at Plzen), although I think both had good viewing of indoor accommodation than Zlin does.

2. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Yes, certainly all worth visiting, and I think it was only Zlin where there was a substantial difference in winter.
    I don't think any of the three come close to Prague or Plzen's standards, and I think you would struggle to find anyone who didn't think those were the best two zoos in the Czech Republic.
    As I believe you have visited Warsaw Zoo, I think Warsaw is a good zoo to compare with Brno - some very nice new exhibits and some much worse old exhibits - though I think Brno is a bit further along the path of modernising and I would say new exhibits are definitely in the majority at Brno (though Brno's bird collection is smaller than Warsaw's).
    I would say that Zlin and Jihlava are sort of the 'next level up' in terms of zoo quality and although they are not as good as Prague or Plzen they are definitely comparable. Jihlava could possibly be compared to a smaller version of Plzen without the extensive bird collection but still with an extensive mammal collection. Zlin is much more of an open, expansive countryside zoo than Prague or Plzen which are both quite close to their city centres but you could draw comparisons between much of Zlin and some parts of Prague such as the upper area at Prague being mostly open exhibits and some buildings. One way that Brno is like Prague is that it is on a hillside sloping away from a river with some pretty steep slopes.

zooboy28 likes this.
  3. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Thanks LD. I have been to Warsaw, in winter, and although there were a few species off-display, most could be seen in their (often cramped) indoor quarters. A trip round the Czech zoos in the summer would be great.

4. LaughingDove

I did wonder whether the main reason for the indoor areas at Zlin being off show was to try and hide cramp indoor quarters. Purely speculation of course, but the buildings did seem quite small, especially in comparison to the outdoor areas.

zooboy28 likes this.
  5. LaughingDove

I have now uploaded about 30 pictures of Brno Zoo which can be seen here Zoo Brno - Photo Galleries | ZooChat .
    Pictures from Zlin and Jihlava will probably have to wait until next weekend.

6. LaughingDove

I have now uploaded a selection of 24 pictures of Zlin Zoo to the Zlín Zoo - Photo Galleries | ZooChat
    Unfortunately I've been very busy so it took longer to get around to it than I'd hoped.

zooboy28 likes this.
  7. LaughingDove