Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden A Walk Through the Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Moebelle, 24 Jun 2013.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I thought the same thing! When I was there I could have simply bent down and picked up a Little Blue Penguin if I wanted! I mean, it's a low fence and the penguins do often sit right below where the people stand. When I was there, though, there were always two keepers at a stand next to the Little Blue Penguin enclosure so I suppose they keep an eye on people.

~Thylo:cool:

2. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I myself at an older age have been tempted to bend down and pet one. Surprisingly I've never seen any guest of any age do such thing. When you walk in there is a small sign on the fence with a 'cute' saying: "Lovable but not touchable, please admire from afar."

3. Moebelle

As of now the final exhibit videos are being uploaded. They will show Elephant Reserve and Rhino Reserve. I held off Rhino Reserve because Klyde, a black rhino was transferred to the Sedgewick County Zoo and I wanted him in the shot. I also wanted at least an okapi in there as well but that's a rare chance to get. Luckily the zoo just recently received a new female rhino.

I know that since the warm weather is coming to an end you might think there won't be anymore videos until next year. I have decided that when the Festival of Lights comes around next month I will take videos of the spectacular light displays and:
    -Lazy Light Show synchronized with fast paced holiday music that surrounds all of Swan Lake
    -The elephants in the Elephant House
    -The giraffes indoors
    -The new manatee Abigail
    -The entrance and exit bridge covered with thousands of lights that create a tunnel and stunning effects.
    -Passenger Pigeon Memorial
    -And many, many, many more that I can't even predict.

I am unsatisfied with some of my videos and am planning on redoing some of them. For example I want to go through World of the Insect slowly and recapture not only the animals but the many graphical displays shown on every wall. If you want to make a request for a redo, just ask:)

4. Moebelle

After trying to post them 10 different times now, I am struggling to post my two videos on Youtube and I am growing impatient. Luckily I found an alternative website that will upload the videos faster. This alternative website is Flickr, so no editing will be able to be done to the videos and the shaking will have to be dealt with. (sorry:eek:)

5. Moebelle

6. Moebelle

7. Moebelle

8. Moebelle

9. Moebelle

10. Moebelle

11. Moebelle

I am currently uploading two videos of Gorilla World of Wildlife Canyon where I have some wonderful footage of Harapan.

12. Moebelle

13. Moebelle

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I enjoyed the videos- particularly seeing Harapan in his enclosure and how it fits in with the rest of the Wildlife Canyon area of the Zoo.

I once visited Cincinnati Zoo- back around 1978/9/ At that time I remember the Gorillas lived in a concrete enclosure which looked pretty much like the same one they have now though its obviously much improved and very different looking today. Do you know if they have they always lived in the same enclosure- and has it been extended more recently somehow?

15. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

While I'm assuming he has reign over both for now, the enclosure Harapan was filmed in in Moebelle's last video was actually Suci's old one. At least when I visited, I don't know if they swapped them around at all but it was like that on both days for me.

~Thylo:cool:

16. Moebelle

When Gorilla World opened in 1978 it has since been completely unchanged other than the interactive games for guests and the many plants, grass, and bushes that have grown.

Thylo - Harry and Suci did rotate yards shortly after his return.

17. Moebelle

18. Moebelle

Discovery Forest Photo credit to the Discovery Forest entrance in the beginning of the video goes to geomorph. If you see this I apologize that your username wasn't added into the video even though it was my intention on doing so, sadly the version I wanted uploaded apparently wasn't saved properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoUT__avR38&feature=youtu.be

19. Moebelle

What you will see tomorrow is a video of an attraction that everyone seems anticipated to see most; Jungle Trails. The video is my longest so far, 28 minutes in fact, and it is filled with howling gibbons, orangutan encounters, reaching lorises, soaring gliders, baby bonobos, all four hopping sifakas, and most importantly, active Aye-ayes.

20. Moebelle