Join our zoo community

A zoo from scratch- The Game

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by lowland anoa, 22 Apr 2019.

1. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member

Well this game will be a bit similar to the Millennial games franchise, but there’s a catch, we have to start from complete scratch. I’ve created some ideas, research on available land in Scotland to make this zoo game a bit more realistic. The zoo will be called Zoo Glen Lonan and will cover 247 acres and cost £120,000 and the property sits on a land where kings once passed through to make their journey, giving the local area its nickname “Valley of the Kings”. Now moving on, the Zoo's total budget stands at £350,000 which is enough to build your own house in the UK. So we have a small budget, we have to think wisely, in terms of buildings, entrance, land clearing, keeper areas, enclosures and annual feeding fee. So it’s more realistic that way to start from there. The proposed opening of the Zoo is July 2020, so we'll need to get more money through fundraising which will be tough as we wouldn’t have gained enough revenue and reputation to earn a donor or two. The Zoo's master plan is to begin with animals that are local to Scotland (Scottish Wildcat being a gem for me personally) so we will look at various endemic species and introduced species will be taken care of later. Animals that you can just grab from your local pet store will also be in the plans. Moving on to the staff, we will need to find out a solution on how to afford their salaries and bonuses. Vets will be the most tricky one to focus on. And now moving on to nutrition and enrichment, we will need to find suppliers and products. So that makes the Zoo a bit more tricky and realistic. I'll need various managers in several departments, so post your name and your position in the Zoo staffing.

Here’s a link to the property for sale that we'll use in the Zoo scenario.
    247 acres, Plot 3 By Ballygowan Farm, Glenlonan, Oban, Argyll and Bute, PA34, Highlands and Islands For Sale - Offers Over £120,000 - Trovit Property

Also our present budget:
    350,000 - 120,000 = £230,000

First step: Staff recruitment and the zoo's entrance and offices.

Jambo likes this.
  2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member

BigNate likes this.
  3. lowland anoa

No, I meant it in the literal way (to build a zoo from the start with materials obtained for a cheap fee and without any permits for larger and more dangerous animals. And rare species too). So we have to work our way up. Zoo Tycoon will be not used in this game! Too fed up of that game not having the species I’m looking for. But anyways thanks for that.

4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member

It was a joke...

5. lowland anoa

I know, you should know that Scottish people have a great sense of humour :p

6. lowland anoa

The Staff:
    Owner/ Manager of all animal departments: @lowland anoa
    Head of Zoo & Exhibit Design: @ZooBinh

Notification:
    If you want to be added to the staff list, PM me what department you want to manage, I’m temporarily manager of all animal departments. But I’ll still have power to refuse new animals and exhibits ideas, @ZooBinh can do so, as (s)he controls the land utility, depending what space we have left. If you have an exhibit idea (or a new building), me and Binh will hold a private meeting to decide the outcome.

Last edited: 22 Apr 2019
    ZooBinh likes this.
  7. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member

I can help with whatever you need. It certainly looks interesting.

8. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member

Do you want me to start sketching out designs?

9. SivatheriumGuy

Oh yea I would love to. I really like making exhibit designs, despite being messy sometimes.

10. ZooBinh

Actually, I was asking @lowland anoa if he/she wanted me to start sketching out designs for the zoo entrance etc. I think it'd be nice to work together though!

11. SivatheriumGuy

Oops, sorry not sorry. But yeah, collaborating would be nice.

ZooBinh likes this.
  12. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member

ZooBinh likes this.
  13. ZooBinh

This is funny, because when I was selecting a role, I was thinking about being the aquatic curator, but then I thought that if you joined, you might want this role...I wasn't wrong!

Ebirah766 likes this.
  14. lowland anoa

15. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member

Can I join ? This sounds good?

If I can, can I be head of using ZTL to find where our animals are coming from?

:)

16. SivatheriumGuy

I would also like to join.
    I don't know if designing exhibits with ZooBinh is official, but I can do any other role. I would love to work with mostly ungulates.

17. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member

18. Ortolan bunting

Ortolan bunting Well-Known Member

I would be very interested in some sort of role within enclosure design specifically in drawing consept art and drawing interior design of the enclosures and less overall shape of the exhibits or maps of the zoo to not step in on ZooBinhs territory.

19. lowland anoa

Sure! But what term should i use for your position?
    And I will refer you to as assistant head of the Zoo design. When I and @ZooBinh shake hands over an idea, you will discuss it with him/her yourselves. I will stand no foot in the design.

20. lowland anoa

@XerpaZoo Sure! But you'll start with Red Deer, not now but wait until we have enough staff to start building the Zoo.

SivatheriumGuy likes this.