Join our zoo community

A zoo made with the avatars of Zoochatters!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Kakapo, 15 Dec 2018.

1. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member

Ditto, my friend, for I have a gray whale. :)

TinoPup likes this.
  2. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member

Last edited: 16 Dec 2018
  3. Hammy

Hammy Member

I find it difficult to believe that not so many people have ocean friend avatars.

TinoPup likes this.
  4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

Brum, TeaLovingDave, jayjds2 and 3 others like this.
  5. Chlidonias

I'm going to guess it's an extreme close-up of a Question Mark Cockroach.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  6. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Wow, so many replies! A shame that a full page is filled before I can continue with remaining sections, but I appreciate the popularity!

Good point :D but then I should have a zone of the size of New York (at least) full of thousands of empty exhibits (as most zoochatters don't have an avatar)

You can see that there is a lone plains zebra in the mixed hoofstock paddock in the African savannah. More zebra species will come later.

Sorry, I will not modify the exhibit with new changes made after the avatar recopilation!

Sorry for having missed you. I hope you not mind. I tried to be exhaustive, using all the avatars of people that posted a presentation in New Member Introductions plus quite a number of the recent replies of post of some days and the thread starters plus some replies of members of first page of each forum section. For sure you are not the only member whose avatar I didn't saw. Now is too late to edit and our black rhino will continue being a pal for our herd of white rhinos...

Sorry but I will not made changes to the exhibit after the recopilation to an avatar. But don't worry, there will be a looot of rarities!

Sure! It's, with overhelming difference, the species most represented in the avatars of the forum.

Sorry but I will not include subspecies of an animal in this zoo :p

True! Will be gruesome to have an aquarium with a single clownfish (without an anemone?) or just one solitary jellyfish, but that's what we have!

Certainly, but please solve me a doubt, your seal is Harbour or Spotted (or anything else?)

You will see some days later.

TinoPup likes this.
  7. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member

Harbour, taken at Oregon Zoo :) Though if you ask many of the people who were there at the same time, it's a sea lion...

8. Hammy

Hammy Member

Man, that is an aquarium frequenter mood. Seals are sea lions, and sea lions are seals, and fur seals are just incomprehensible.

Ebirah766 and TinoPup like this.
  9. Hipporex

Oh great now I feel dumb. I thought I remembered once seeing someone's avatar was a Thylacine and I just assumed it was his (however my meomory can be faulty at times). Unfortunately its too late to delete or edit that comment now

10. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Thanks TinoPup :) i listed at Harbour but with a question mark that now I can delete.

Now we can start with the next section, the African Jungle. The entry of this section is a door shaped with the trunks of two fake palms arching and crossing. At each side of the entry there is a relatively small netted enclosure with a glass at head level in the hindquarters for be able to see the animals sleeping in their dens during day. The right one holds our rare African palm civet (Nandinia binotata) @Zoo Tycooner FR and the left one will hold a Senegal? bushbaby (Galago senegalensis) @ralph .Then we will have a big paddock with a lawn of grass, some bushes and a big pile of rocks in the center, thew will show a couple of bongos (Tragelaphus eurycerus) @Bongo and @ZooBinh that will use the lawn, mixed with a single mandrill (Mandrillus sphinx) @mweb08 that will be mostly at the rock pile. At the other side there is a similarly sized exhibit, but with netted covering and a lush dense vegetation and it would be walkthrough, with a path surrounded by a glass wall to the chest height. Here will live our herd of eight okapis (Okapia johnstoni) @6647 @Al @black-star @drzoomi @Hipporex @OkapiaJohnstoni @Okapipako @TriUK that will be able to be fed by guest with carrots, hickory and other vegetables provided by staff at certain hours. A single owl-faced monkey (Cercopithecus hamlyni) @Tim May also would live here and can benefit from the vegetables, hence the netted topping. Following the path we would found a complex full of climbing opportunities and the typical beds, ropes, heels, etc and warm indoor space with clean frass every day. You guessed well, this is the enclosure four our troop of six chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) @dawnaforsythe @Frances Drake @Machee Jones @mazfc @Paniscus and @ShonenJake13 . At the othe side there is an open paddock for our couple of well fed red river hogs (Potamochoerus porcus) @akasha and @Wild wolverine . The last section of the zoo is the enclosure for the troop of 11 western gorillas (Gorilla gorilla) @BennettL @betsy @CindyNL @GorillaFan15 @Gorilla Gust @hadrada @KEEPER @SilverbackApes @taun @Titus and @ZooElephantsMan . This enclosure would be similar to the chimp one but bigger and more open, with not so many climbing facilities, and more robust and accesible ones (big trunks with low thick branches, thicker ropes).

Mbwamwitu, TinoPup, Jambo and 6 others like this.
  11. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Just close to the African jungle is Madagascar, that as the fancy in many zoos, will be entered through a door in a fake baobab, and will consist mainly in a lemur walkthrough. This lemur walkthrough would countain three black and white ruffed lemurs (Varecia variegata) @DawnB @Pau and @Thonoir , a single brown lemur (Eulemur fulvus) @Lemurs and four ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta) @beckiv1234 @JamesB @Pygathrix @Timmiegun . The rest of the lemurs will be in non-walkthrough enclosures due to rarity, specialized diet or for avoid hybridation. One enclosure will have a glass viewing panel, a wood house as hindquarters and a netted top and would hold a single Alaotran gentle lemur (Hapalemur alaotrensis) @gentle lemur and a single crowned sifaka (Propithecus coronatus) @Susan Humphreys, and the other side of the path a nearly identical enclosure would house a couple of mongoose lemurs (Eulemur mongoz) @animalszoos and @Rajang21 (excuse me, are both of you Mongooses?), and our big treasure, a rare Von der Decken's sifaka (Propithecus deckeni) @timmydetapir. After passing a 19th century style big cage four our single greater vasa parrot (Coracopsis vasa) @Zygodactyl , we will enter a small nocturnal house divided in two glassfronted enclosures, one of them holding three aye-ayes (Daubentonia madagascariensis), @AyeAye , @Daubentoniidae and @Falanouc , and in the other, two more aye-ayes @renn23 and @Toddy share their exhibit with a rare fanaloka (Fossa fossana) @twilighter .
    The last enclosure is the forested one with two viewing zones, one wired and one glassed (same style tha in Duisburg) for our pack of three fossas (Cryptoprocta ferox) @Fireplume @Nicky and @Zooreviewsuk .

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Dec 2018
    Mbwamwitu, TinoPup, Kudu21 and 2 others like this.
  12. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Exiting the Madagascar zone we can find a big greenhouse with tropical trees, exotic looking flowers and a pond fed by a small cascade. This is the tropical aviary, that will be mostly one with grass for allow good visibility, but also with a zone of dense luxurious vegetation with a small curvy path (Burger's Bush style). The more open zone, that will comprise the most part of the aviary, will have an elevated pathway like a bridge (such as in Pairi Daiza) for bee able to see the canopy at closer level. Unfortunately, all our species except one are singletons! Tropical birds from all continents are flying here: one amethyst starling (Cinnyricinclus leucogaster) @geomorph , one bearded barbet (Lybius dubius) @birdsandbats, one emerald dove (Chalcophaps indica) @yaron73 , one great argus pheasant (Argusianus argus) @Great Argus , one great blue turaco (Corythaeola cristata) @toothlessjaws , one greater? bird of paradise (Paradisaea apoda) @Vision , one laughing dove (Streptopelia senegalensis) @LaughingDove , one blue mutation of a philippine hanging parrot (Loriculus philippensis) @spayrow , one spangled cotinga (Cotinga cayana) @epickoala123 , and finally the only paired species able to breed here (until we wait for get companions for the other species hehe): a pair of Victoria crowned pigeons (Goura victoria) @EvilKittie and @Goura . The aviary also would include three enclosures for non-free-flying birds inside: one with a glassed viewing panel and painted concrete in the remaining areas, and with Brugmansia vulcanicola, Osa pulchra and Cubanola dominguensis growing inside, where lives our single and very rare sword-billed hummingbird (Ensifera ensifera) @ronnienl , and the other with glass front too, but with netted top and bigger enclosures, one for a single toco toucan (Ramphastos toco) @nczoofan (predatory and hence not safe to mix with the free flying birds) and the other for a single blue-winged macaw (Ara maracana) @Canihelpyou? , that due to the chewing-destroying habits (that include ears of visitors), is also not safe for the free-flying zone.

13. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Now we enter to the Living Desert. The space here is wide with very scattered trees (mainly in the path for give shade to visitors), and gardens of succulent plants and desert bushes. We find first a barren soil paddock for an Arabian oryx (Oryx leucoryx) @berberry08 and a walia ibex (Capra walie) @TheEthiopianWolf03 . Will follow a rounded pit (kinda porcupine pit usual in zoos) with big piles of rocks, divided in the middle by an elevated path that the animals cannot pass under. At one side will be our rock hyrax (Procavia capensis) @aardvark250 and the other side would hold a rock cavy (Kerodon rupestris) @Mo Hassan . Shame to have singletons for such social animals as hyraxes and rock cavies but we didn't found company for them! Then we enter inside a small building with glass-fronted enclosures at one side and posters and schemes explaing the life in the different deserts of the world in the other side. The first enclosure have a sand soil and some nude branches and here lives our rare Iranian ground jay (Podoces pleskei) @fofo. Nex to it, another enclosure also with sand soil, a big log tansversally arranged, some hides and a couple of fake succulent plants (fake for be able to thrive in the low light level of an indoor enclosures) will hold our sand cat (Felis margarita) @tutey . Finally terrarium upon an elevated pillar (for put it at sight level) and with open top, and some hollow logs and broken ceramic pots, would hold our four-toed hedgehog (Atelerix albiventris) @The Hedgehog

14. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member

The animals in Thylo's avatar came close to extinction at one point, but unlike the one in his username they rebounded and have become fairly common again, as his avatar shows.

TeaLovingDave and Hipporex like this.
  15. Hipporex

Yeah, yeah, rub it in why don't you (I'm joking).

16. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

After the dry Desert, we can find the contrast of the humid Wetland. The entry to the zone would be a very original gate: a giant figure of a damselfly curving the abdomen for lay eggs, so we can pass under the abdomen of this figure. First thing that the visitor see is a duck pond with a mud shore and a reed bed with some trees, that cointains with a single Bahama pintail (Anas bahamensis) @Matt Kehoe , a wood duck (Aix sponsa) @JohnDelRio , a dalmatian pelican (Pelecanus crispus) @thomas-k , a small flock of four greater flamingos (Phoenicopterus ruber) @CiaranDUK @Flingo @Jana and @rockysierra and a single pond slider (Trachemys scripta) @touchtanks that was donated to our zoo by a person that didn't want it anymore as a pet for his kid. After that we found a big netted aviary with some trees, holding our white-tailed sea eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla) @adrian1963 Then we enter the Hippo House, with underwater viewing and some trees in the land zone for shade. Here we have three common hippopotamus (Hippopotamus amphibius) @Happy Hippo @HelgaJarmeen and @jusko88 . At one side of the indoor building that forms parts of the hippo house, there is a big netted enclosure with lush vegetation and a stream, holdig our lone shoebill (Balaeniceps rex) @lintworm mixed with a sitatunga (Tragelaphus spekii) @ZooBoyNZ (are you a sitatunga, I hope?). Next will come our playful couple of short-clawed otters (Aonyx cinerea) @Chlidonias and @MoleRat that lives in an enclosure with the same stream of the shoebill/sitatunga running here, but widening to a pond, plus a couple of hollow logs, a den in a fake landslide, and a slide that ends in the water of the pond. Finally we can found two netted aviaries with small ponds inside, one of them holding a single black-winged stilt (Himantopus himantopus) @GerbenElzinga and a single cattle egret (Bubulcus ibis) @ZooSam , and the other holding a magnific swallow-tailed kite (Elanoides forficatus) @TheOnlineZoo .

17. Chlidonias

I think that would be a Nyala.

18. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

The wetland lead us gradually to more water. We can see the big historical building of the Aquarium here. Before enter to the aquarium there is our pool shared by our trio of California? sea lions (Zalophus californianus), @Hammy , @sealion and @Suzanne, and our harbour seal (Phoca vitulina) @TinoPup running along a side of the building, and the glassed-front pool four or lone sea otter (Enhydra lutris) @filipinos close to the extreme of the building. We enter into the building and first we found a big tank with a underwater tunnel (Faunia-style), for our pair of Caribbean manatees (Trichechus manatus) @manateacup and @tampasteve . Next to it there is a similar tank but without tunnel, only viewing glass and a bit smaller, filled with saltwater, for our tame dugong (Dugong dugon) @TZDugong , fed twice a day with seagrasses that we crop from our growing tank behind the scenes. The dugong shares his tank with a zebra shark (Stegostoma fasciatum) @NVP . In the middle of the two sirenian exhibits there is a lifesize scultpure of a Steller's sea cow explaining its extinction. Then we enter to our enormous oceanic tank where swims a juvenile individual of great white shark (Carcharodon carcharias) @Pureshark1980 .
    Thenn, here is the freshwater section (sorry @Dormitator but I don't know what is your cichlid). It gives the welcome for a tank four or indolent solitary australian lungfish (Neoceratodus forsteri) @Ebirah766 in one wall and a small tank for a lake Titicaca frog (Telmatobius culaeus) @Burns in the other wall, that also shows explicative pannels about the cycle of water and the like. Then there is a small room for smaller tanks. One, in low light, hold and atlantic? giant isopod (Bathynomus giganteus) @Scolopendra , one circular window holds a single common moon jellyfish (Aurelia aurita) @Rayane , and one small pannel that shows our solitary ocellated? clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) @Moorish . The last room of the aquarium building is an enormous tank where new technologies allowed us recreate the pressure and conditions adequate for keeping one of our rarest treasures, a Comores? coelacanth (Latimeria chalumnae), that visitors should be able to see only with guided tours.

The aquarium finalizes with our cetacean park where the dolphins and orcas perform shows twice a day. The pen for our bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) is acceptable size, but not so big because we only have two of them, @Hannah fish and @Merintia . The show pool, connected with the pen, is approximately the same size. Contrarily, or pen for our pack of six magnific killer whales (Orcinus orca) is enormous, twice the size of the orca enclosure of SeaWorld San Diego. Our orcas are @HyakkoShachi , @jenjen , @Leptonyx , @Marhi , @ocean_boy and @orcaboy . Not all our killer whales perform shows at same time. The water of the pen would contain some toys for enrichment, such as a floating red ball. The show pool would be much smaller than the pen, but of adequate size. Additionally would be a third, smaller pool for quarantine, treatment or observation. Our cetacean park don't end with dolphins and orcas, as visitors would be pleased to know that we have another sea pen, of the same size than the one four our six orcas, made for a recued (beached) calf of a grey whale (Eschrichtius robustus) @iluvwhales that we are feeding with fresh krill imported from Antarctica and some pieces of fish, crustaceans and squids as complement, until it grows too large for our tank.

Mbwamwitu, TinoPup, Jambo and 2 others like this.
  19. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member

A minor point, I am broad-nosed rather than Alaotran ;)

bongorob likes this.
  20. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Shame if the sitatunga turns to be a nyala, since it would not fit in the wetland, and it's too late for edit the African savannah.

And shame again about the bamboo lemur! Also too late for edit Madagascar (moderators can correct errors if they want). I listed you as a broad-nosed first, until I found your presentation where you says that you have a couple of good photos of an Alaotran and put the into the post (broken links so images don't show anymore), so I supposed wrongly that these photos includes the one in your avatar, before you acquired an avatar :p

Our cetaceans are not limited to the cetacean park, because we also have some of them in the next exhibit: the Polar region. Our friendly pod of four belugas (Delphinapterus leucas) @ANyhuis , @Marinelander , @robmv and @Topaz , lives in our big pool with big true ice blocks floating inside the climatized building. The polar bear exhibit, completely indoor for climatization but big and luminous, is also rather good, with underwater view and toys for enrichment. Here lives our three polar bears (Ursus maritimus), @Duerener1 , @sarahz911 and @Shirokuma . Passing this, there is an enclosure similar to the beluga one but with less depth of water and more land zone, for our breeding couple of walruses (Odobenus rosmarus) @The Walrus and @TheWalrus .. Contrasting, our penguin house is rather poor, since we only have a couple of king penguins (Aptenodytes patagonicus), @Ajkwa and @NZ Jeremy , but we're hoping that soon they will laid an egg! Finally and outide the building, we have a paddock for a lone mux ox (Ovibos moschatus) @kingoffreaks and a small pit for a stoat? (Mustela erminea) @Wieselkind (I hope it's not a weasel!)

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Dec 2018
    Mbwamwitu, TinoPup and Great Argus like this.