Join our zoo community

A zoo made with the avatars of Zoochatters!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Kakapo, 15 Dec 2018.

1. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Now we enter the Asian highlands, one of the zones with most amazing animals of Earth. The gate would have the shape of a Chinese temple. First we found a big moat with fallen trunks, big boulders and a stream, for our couple of Asian black bears (Ursus thibetanus), @Bwassa and @Tunya Chinpilas .Another bear species would be the next:4 of our 7 giant pandas (Ailuropoda melanoleuca) lives here: @Giant Panda , @idiosyncrasy , @J C and @john k , in a lush enclosure full of living bamboo of various species planted across it. After that we can find our enclosure, full of boulders and rocks with ferns and grasses growing in the crevices, for our couple of beautiful snow leopards (Panthera uncia), @DaveW and @scuttleclaw . Then it follows a large netted aviary for a magnific golden eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) @KevinB and two smaller ones, the first for a peregrine falcon (Falco peregrinus) @GemzyB and a the second containing together a red-billed chough (Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax) @buteobuteo and a rare snow pigeon (Columba leuconota) @Columba leuconota . These bird enclosures are at one side, and a series of enclosures for small carnivores at the other side of the path: one with a marbled polecat (Vormela peregusna) @TeaLovingDave , a larger one for a couple of Pallas's cats (Otocolobus manul), @Ding Lingwei and @MaNuL , and after a large paddock with wooden perimeter containg a dozen of small trees (four of which have tree-houses) and some logs, where are found our adorable family of six red pandas (Ailurus fulgens): @aim_foliksta , @Falconhoof , @Jola , @littleRedPanda , @redpandasrule and @Zoolover1020 . Finally we have a large grassy paddock where a single kiang (Equus kiang) @kiang shares exhibit with a single yak (Bos grunniens) @yakhistorian .

Mbwamwitu, TinoPup, Jambo and 3 others like this.
  2. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member

This is a really cool thread idea. I’m on standby for an Outback Exhibit.;)

3. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member

If only I was not at the first exhibit I could of changed my avatar to something like a Volcano Rabbit :p

4. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member

Wait, where are the walruses for the Arctic?

5. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

We continue into Asia but in a completely different habitat, since we pass from one zoological region (Palearctic) to other (Oriental). Now we enter into the Asian Jungle through a gate of fake rock that resembles an Indonesian temple like Angkor Vat. A vast space of the Asian jungle is used for our herd of Asian elephants (Elephas maximus), in a enclosure like the Köln zoo elephant precinct (a bit bigger given our number of elephants), but not so barren, with some more big trees and also some grassy lawns. Our 15 elephants are @brad09 , @Charlie Simmomds , @Elephant Enthusiast , @elephant400, @Elephas Maximus @elephas_maximus , @Jedd Cullinan , @Junior Friendly , @pachyderm pro , @savethelephant , @Sitara , @UntBwe , @zoofari and @ZooGirl101 . Then it will be our Cat House. It starts with a couple of rarities, an Asian Golden Cat (Catopuma temminckii) @RedPanDan , in a completely netted enclosure with trunks and small trees, a flat-headed cat (Prionailurus planiceps) @HarmonyVibe in a similar enclosure but smaller, and three clouded leopards (Neofelis nebulosa) @CloudPardus @mhale and @Smannsaker , in a similar enclosure but bigger. At the other side, we find three enclosures similar to the others in furniture but double to triple in size and open-topped,two of these containg two common leopards (Panthera pardus) and the last one three of them (a couple with their cub). Our seven leopard (excuse me if any of you are a jaguar please) are @baboon , @Eric , @JINX , @SMR , @Thesweham , @WWAS and @zebedee101 . The end of the cat house will end in a giant prairie with scattered thickets and a couple of small mountains with caves, the enclosure size is similar to the one for our Asian elephants because here lives 15 of our 31 tigers (Panthera tigris). Many circuses thrived through the region in the past but they was banned and all of them donated their tigers to us, so that's why we have so many! The 15 tigers of the cat house are: @Arizona Docent , @Badgerman91 , @BeakerUK , @BeardsleyZooFan , @Benosaurus , @BigNate , @cypher , @darrenzoophotos , @Drew , @driftaguy , @FelidLover, @IceQueen , @Jade , @Jalur_Tiger_Cub and @Jordan-Jaguar97 . After the cat house we can find a Celebian paddok with a lone babirusa (Babyrousa babyrussa) @HOMIN96 mixed with a lone black crested macaque (Macaca nigra) @tetrapod . This lead to a series of netted enclosures for more primate: here is the Orangutan House, that holds our family of 7 Sumatran? orangutans (Pongo pygmaeus): @Conservation Station , @Gigit , @GillP , @Laloba , @OrangePerson , @redapes and @ronnieb013 . After the Orangutan House comes an Gibbon Island as the typical ones seen in many zoos, housing our three white-handed gibbons (Hylobates lar) @FunkyGibbon , @kbaker116 and @Robert Maslak. They also share thir exhibit with a single François's langur (Trachypithecus francoisi) @FrancoiseLangur . It follow a walkthroug greenhouse: the Asian Aviary, with some tropical small tres and shrubs, housing a lone banded pitta (Pitta guajana) @molinea , a crestless fireback pheasant (Lophura erythrophthalma) @zoospud , a golden pheasant (Chrysolophus pictus) @FBBird , a green peafowl (Pavo muticus) @Mr. Zootycoon , a lesser whistling duck (Dendrocygna javanica) @Hvedekorn .Exiting the aviary that we found an "enclosure" for a binturong (Arctictis bintufong) @Crystal just like in Best zoo, tough more naturalistic (branches instead boards): a treehouse den, acces to neighbour trees, and a ring on the tree trunks for prevent escapes, so visitors could be in direct sight with the animal without barriers. Now we can find a paddock for a solitary sun bear (Helarctos malayanus) @TigerValley98 , that is sad since their fellow Beccasunbear went off exhibit . Near the end can find a large paddock for our bull and cow gaurs (Bos gaurus), our two magnific piles of muscles are @Phantom Gaur and @ZooFuss , and they share the exhibit with our three friendly malayan tapirs (Tapirus indicus) @Animallover1998 , @NielsGuchelaar and @Tapir26 , with a single visayan warty pig (Sus cebifrons) @Swedish Zoo Fan and with our couple of siamangs (Symphalangus syndactylus) (yes I recently accepted the genus), @boof and @ZooGirlSD . The enclosure would be similar to Rimba in Burger's zoo, with the siamangs in the trees and ropes and the ungulates in the soil (logically). Finally, another paddock for a single lowland anoa (Bubalus depressicornis) @lowland anoa that is too aggresive for be put with the gaurs, tapirs and pigs

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Dec 2018
  6. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Damn!, I forgot it! Hope to be at time for edit, thanks for remembering me!

Damn. Too late. I found now what happened. In the document I used for recopilation I wrote the name of the sections after each species for make easier the thread for me. But in the walruses I put Arctic region instead Polar region and hence it not appeared when I searched "polar region" :-(

Please can some moderator add the walruses (Odobenus rosmarus) @TheWalrus and @The Walrus next to belugas and polar bears? Thanks!

7. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Now wel will enter to a less exciting section of the zoo, but that any big zoo should have (this or an equivalent): the Temperate Forest and Temperate Prairie, both are a mix of animals of northern hemisphere, either Eurasian or North American. The Temperate Forest will start with two small owl aviaries, one holding a barn Owl (Tyto alba) @YummyTeece and the other a Tengmalm's owl (Aegolius funereus) @Carl Jones . Then will follow a medium-sized enclosure with logs and shrubs and a wired panel view with a lone boreal lynx (Lynx lynx) @EmperorTamarin , while at the other side a smaller enclosure would house our northern raccoon (Procyon lotor) @procyonlotor . Will follow a very wooden small house where one can enter and view a vertical glass panel in one side, coverig the tunnel gallery of a common mole (Talpa europaea) @The-Mole , in the other side there is a glass-fronted enclosure full of plants and with a wooden nest box for our common weasel (Mustela nivalis) @Mr. Weasel , and the background would be a small aviary with many branches for our couple of european robins (Erithacus rubecula) @Big Rob and @vogelcommando . After this building we can found an enclosure similar to the lynx one but smaller, for a common wild cat (Felis silvestris) @Scottish Wildcat and an opposed identical enclosure for our couple of red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) @overread and @Stefka . Then we find here our strange enclosure for common wolf or domestic dog (Canis lupus). It would be a typical forested wolf enclosure, but divided by a fence with a pair of gates in it that staff would open for rotate the packs of wolves and dogs between the two halves of the exhibit. Our pack of wolves would have four animals, @arcticwolf , @Corby93 , @James w (this small thing is a wolf? maybe a coyote instead?) and @Spooky_Skellington , while our dog pack would be composed of nine animals: @Bluetitan, @Dan , @Drago , @ian999 , @MARK , @MattyP , @mizz timberwolf , @Spyro and @WildlifeGirl89 (or yours is a dingo?). Hence we would avoid interbreeding while at same time maintain the same species in the same enclosure. Last precinct is a big paddock with rocks, trees and caves for our family of seven brown bears (Ursus arctos): @Gharialcroc233 , @Marga , @markun , @Nanook , @Nicole , @Shez and @Vulpes housed together with our Kermadec american black bear (Ursus americanus) @snowleopard .

8. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I am ridiculously over-excited to feature in this, though I am thinking I need to find a less commonly used animal for my avatar!

9. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member

I think Mr. @snowleopard avatar is actually a kermode bear rather than a polar one.

10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member

He is.

11. Scottish Wildcat

Scottish Wildcat Well-Known Member

More pleased than I should be to have an enclosure all to myself! Hey fox neighbours!

Where are the other 16 of the 31 tigers? (Wow...that’s a big number)

12. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

@BeakerUK You was a tiger until a while! Certainly I would have been prefaired to have a maned wolf in our zoo (as we don't have none) rather than ooooone more tiger, but now it's done, too late to edit, and you already live with the other 14 tigers in the Asian jungle!

@aardvark250 Oh! I always assumed that it's a polar bear! Again, too late to edit and change it to the Temperate forest as a black bear (despite not being black :p ), probably housed together with the brown bears...

I just needed to put half of the tigers in any place only for not overcrowd (even more) the exhibit. So you can guess that will be an identical enclosure in other section of the zoo.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2018
  13. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

It's OK, I am not expecting my placement to get changed!! You just drew my attention to how many other tigers there are around, so I decided to have a change, but I am still a tiger for this zoo :D

Kakapo likes this.
  14. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Ohhh... no! Twilighter is a fanaloka, it is, right?? Now we have a Madagascan animal weirdly placed in an Asian aviary! Sorry this zoo is being terrible!

15. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

By the side of the Temperate forest is the Temperate prarie, more north-american focused that the forest. The gate to this zone will be two Indian totems for pass through them. First we find a grassy paddock for a single North American bison (Bison bison) @Lynn Glock , then we will found a nineteenth century style big cage for our common raven (Corvus corax) @The Crow2 and a small cage with a shrub inside, for a song sparrow (Melospiza melodia) @KCZooFan .
    At the other side of the bird cages there is a rocky steep enclosure with glass viewing panels and netted top for a cougar (Puma concolor) @lazookat, and next a small grassy hill with a boulder pile in the center and a den in the pile, for our coyote (Canis latrans) @michaelarthur .

Mbwamwitu and TinoPup like this.
  16. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Now back to a more exciting zone of the zoo! We arrived to the South American precinct , where Amazonian, Andean and Patagonian animals thrive. The first exhibit will be a row of enclosures with glass viewing pannels and netted top, ropes and dead trees inside for our primates. The biggest of these enclosures holds our couple of mantled howler monkeys (Alouatta palliata) @Howlerman and @Maguari , the next enclosures are smaller and have various dead branches instead a dead tree: one for a brown capuchin (Cebus capucinus) @Jo and two common? squirrel monkeys (Saimiri sciureus) @Nisha and @Simon McGlary , other for a cotton-top tamarin (Saguinus oedipus) @Jihoon Lee and a pied tamarin (Saguinus bicolor) @nicholas, and finally the last for a white-faced? saki (Pithecia pithecia) @rhinofanatic . At the opposite side of the primate complex, there is a row of four wired enclosures. First one is an aviary for the maybe most beautiful of all the raptors: a black and white hawk eagle (Spizaetus melanoleucus) @devilfish followed by an enclosure with hollow logs and small palms for our ring-tailed coati (Nasua nasua) @KeeperKatie, third is a concrete enclosure with thick wires and lot of ropes, and a couple of wooden next boxes hanging from the walls, for our four specimens of blue and gold macaw (Ara ararauna): @FLYING HIGH , @Magick , @Sakura and @Sunbear12 mixed with a single military? macaw (Ara militaris) @fkalltheway , and finally the biggest of the fouer, with two tree stumps and some bushes and branches, for our couple of harpy eagles (Harpia harpyja): @mstickmanp and @Smilo . After that we can see a big vegetated enclosure, wired and netted in all perimeter and top except in the viewing zone that is a wooden wall with a big glass, here is found our couple of jaguars (Panthera onca): @Royale and @wyldjaguar . At the opposite side of the jaguars is our lonely spectacled bear (Tremarctos ornatus) @Dyl0526 in a paddock with various streams and a moat. Now we find the Tapir Galore: at one side, a lawn with a large clean pond in it, home of our three brazilian tapirs (Tapirus terrestris): @CDavies98 , @skoop102 and @team tapir , that share their enclosure with two capybaras (Hydrochoerus hydrochaeris): @Elemental and @EsserWarrior . At the opposite side, a similar enclosure, but with a stream instead of a pond and more steepy terrain with some scattered rocks, for our three mountain tapirs (Tapirus pinchaque): @Echobeast , @Muckleskate and @toto98 , that share their enclosure with a giant anteater (Myrmecophaga tridactyla) @Anteaterman . Exiting the tapirs there is a small pond bordered with boulders and rocks for our couple of Humboldt's penguins (Spheniscus humboldtii): @Meg-T and @PaleoMatt . Then we find a medium-sized, densely planted, wired (except a glass viewing panels) enclosure, that is the home of our horned guan (Oreophasis derbianus) @carlos55 . And last, we fin the small Nocturnal House, a building where we can see three glassed enclosures with reversed light cycle. First enclosure is relatively small and have two branches with many branchlets and a wooden nest box, for, a kinkajou (Potos flavus) @weez456. Second is of the same size and is displayed as a cave with fake stalactites, here live ours spectral bat(Vampyrum spectrum) @Batto . And third is twice the size of the other enclosures and holds our couple of southern tamanduas (Tamandua tetradactyla) @blospz and @Juancho

Mbwamwitu, TinoPup and Great Argus like this.
  17. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. Premium Member

18. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Thanks Maguari, this time I'm able to edit!

Exiting the South American zone we enter into a small standalone building that is the Invertebrate house. Inside, one of the walls of the perimeters holds three terrariums, the opposite wall houses a pinned insect collection and explicative pannels, the most of the place is occupied by a dense lush tropical vegetation, and a perimetral path separates the walls from the jungle center. The door of the building must be double because inside there are free-flying a common blue morpho (Morpho peleides) @trixie, the only butterfly that we was able to acquire. The rest of inhabitant will be in the three terrariums in this order: a queen buff-tailed bumblebee (Bombus terrestris) @Chalklion with undergrown viewing of nest chamber, waintg for make their first workers, a greater hercules beetle (Dynastes hercules) @bugboiben , and a Javan? hissing cockroach (Elliptorhina javanica) @PuppyMintMocha .

Mbwamwitu, TinoPup and Hipporex like this.
  19. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Your time, @animal_expert01 : you don't must wait to the Outback because here comes the Reptilarium, side by side with the Invertebrate house. The entry of the house would be a giant sculpture of the mouth of a rattlesnake with fangs exerted. The Reptilarium, would have a desing similar to the reptile house of Menagerie du Paris (terrariums in perimeter and benches in the middle), but they would be a much bigger house, so able to house a so big collection like the San Diego reptile house. The terrariums would be packed by groups, so we have left side for lizards, right side for snakes and the smaller front side for turtles and tortoises. The left side would house the next terrariums: one with an armadillo girdled lizard (Cordylus cataphractus) @ScreamArmadillo , next to an Australian barking gecko (Nephrurus milii) @animal_expert01 , next to a Chinese water dragon (Physignathus cocincinus) @Water Dragon , next to a crested gecko (Rhacodactylus ciliatus) @Swampy , next to a Jackson's chameleon (Chamaeleo jacksonii) @aramacao , next to a leopard gecko (Eublepharis macularius) @Eublepharis , and last for a veiled chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus) @Fresco3 . The right side would house the next terrariums: one with a ball python (Python regius) @oflory , next with a couple of Boelen's pythons (Morelia boeleni) @NigeW and @TheBiophilist98 , next with a cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorus) @d1am0ndback , next to an emerald tree boa (Corallus caninus) @forumbully , next to a green python (Morelia viridis) @Quartz92 , next to a Jameson's? green mamba (Dendroaspis jamesoni) @RFindlater , and next to a king cobra (Ophiophagus hannah) @Tzofia next to a forest cobra (Naja melanoleuca) @jayjds2 and last to a Stimson's python (Antaresia stimsoni) @Jake .. The back of the exhibit will be a desertic terrarium with a radiated tortoise (Geochelone radiata) @wally war eagle . The opposite extreme end of the reptile house will be a big pond where two species of crocodiles live mixed together: an American crocodile (Crocodylus acutus) @DesertRhino150 and an Australian freshwater crocodile (Crocodylus johnsoni) @mozdef .

Sorry reptile folks, but I really just cannot recognize many of the reptile photos in the avatars because my lack of knowlegde in this group!

20. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member

Don't be so hard on yourself, I think you're putting together a fine zoo and I'm quite enjoying this thread of your's.

Mbwamwitu, BigNate and Great Argus like this.