Join our zoo community

A zoo made with the avatars of Zoochatters!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Kakapo, 15 Dec 2018.

1. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Thanks Hipporex, certainly the zoo is not terrible, but I would prefair that it don't have misnamings - especially a so big error as confusing a fanaloka with a linsang (I KNEW that it was somewhat a not-linsang, but was unable to find what is really it until I remembered that species!)

We're coming close to end! Here we have the last of our geographical sections: the Oceania precinct. The entry to this zone would be a fake cave with imitations of aboriginal paintings, while the sound of a didgeridoo (that I love!) plays in the entry. First, we see the largest enclsure of this zone, a barren grassland for our single red kangaroo (Macropus rufus) @AshleyZoo and albino western grey kangaroo (Macropus fuliginosus) @steven48 and our flock of five emus (Dromaius novaehollandiae): @African Grey , @Emu1980 , @Michael Edrupt , @Red-NeckedOstrich and @ymfoster . From this point we have two rows of wired bird cages: the raptor row at left side and the parrot row at right side, each one with each species separated in it's own enclosure. The raptor row contains a black kite (Milvus migrans) @Pompelmoes , a southern boobook (Ninox boobook) @Thatzookeeperguy , a whistling kite (Haliastur sphenurus) @WhistlingKite24 , and in an enclosure as big as the other three together, our breeding couple of magnific wegde-tailed eagles (Aquila audax), @dublinlion and @Jambo . The parrot row contains the next species: a greater? sulphur-crested cockatoo (Cacatua galerita) @Parrotsandrew , a kaka (Nestor meridionalis) @Talli , a Major Mitchell's cockatoo (Cacatua leadbeateri) @nanoboy , a red-tailed? black cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus banksii) @Dannelboyz , and finally in a smaller enclosure, a regent parrot (Polytelis anthopeplus) @Donna . Now we enter in the Marsupial House. It's small-sized building and indoors there are glass viewing pannels for our four enclosures with branches and logs for climb. One of them houses the regular Goodfellow's tree kangaroo (Dendrolagus goodfellowi) @ChaffeeZooFan , while the opposite enclosure holds nothing least that a dingiso!!! (Dendrolagus mbaiso) @chieflx , then you find a similar enclosure for our common brushtail possum (Trichosurus vulpecula) @AWP and a smaller and not so tall enclosure with sand soil and two small dens, for a kowari (Dasyuroides byrnei) @Kowari , while the other side is our Koala (Phascolarctos cinereus) enclosure, with four species of small live gum trees inside plus dead trunks for our three koalas: @Jesse , @Lil Keeper and @NathanFang . By last, exiting this building, we can find a netted aviary with a small stream in it and some branches, shared by a magpie goose (Anseranas semipalmata) @MagpieGoose and a blue-faced honeyeater (Entomyzon cyanotis) @AdrianW1963 , while at the other side there is a sandy soiled enclosure with a dead gum trunk for climb, for our magnific perentie (Varanus giganteus) @Varanus .

Last edited: 16 Dec 2018
  2. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I am thoroughly enjoying this!

3. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member

Mine is Naja subfulva currently.

4. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

No nocturnal house with spectral bats? Should I be concerned? ;)

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  5. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Thanks jayjds2, yours is one of the species that I was unable to recognize, sorry! I always tought that was some kind of Virginia native colubrid. Now I checked that is too late for edit the Reptile house.

Now we reached the Endangered Gallery. This is more like a "thrash bin" where species that don't fit very good in other precincts thrive here, as far as they're endangered. Here we house the other species of zebras, orangutans and rhinoceros (would be too tiring for average visitor if seen after or mixed with the other species), the excess of tigers and giant pandas, and those species that are especially famous for being endangered rather than for anything else, or that are critically endangered.

First, we have a giant tiger (Panthera tigris) enclosure, nearly identical to te one seen in Asian jungle, and where we house the additional 16 of our 31 tigers that we cannot put in the first precinct as they're overcrowded. Our tigers here are @Kwambeze , @ladyofthezoos , @Little Lion Man , @nb123 , @nidhi.dixit , @Noodles , @prawnie1975 , @Shere_Khan , @Shutterfox , @squirrelmonkey , @TheMightyOrca , @The_True_Emilooo , @urbantiger , @wenxue , @Wild-One and @Zambar. Then would be an enclosure full of living bamboos and with a robust tree for climb and sleep, four the other 3 of our 7 giant pandas (Ailuropoda melanoleuca): @MissSundi , @rubz and @SDCritter . Will follow a large arid paddock for our mixed herd of three zebras of two species: two Grevy's zebras (Equus grevyi) @Azubaa (oooh no, he turned into a leopard! And now he will eat the other two zebras :( ) and @Stefan Verhoeven (are you a Grevy's? I think is the best match...) and a mountain zebra (Equus zebra) @zooman1 . Here is found also our lonely (unless some of the supposedly Sumatrans of Asian jungle turns to be Borneans) Bornean orangutan (Pongo abelii) @orangutanborneo , in a densely vegetated enclosure with lots of ropes and clothes and a wheel. Now we find a paddock similar that the one of the zebras, but with more (mature) trees and a larger water body, four our lone Indian rhinoceros (Rhinoceros unicornis) @Jess with its friend the also lone sarus crane (Grus antigone) @Sarus Crane in the same enclosure. Then you would see a big aviary, one of which sides is a cliff, and with three dead trees inside. The major part of aviary is four our California condor (Gymnogyps californianus) @dinosaur50 , but a net divides the enclosure with a smaller swampy corner for one of the biggest treasures of the zoo, our fabulous giant ibis!!! (Thaumatibis gigantea) @Thaumatibis . Finally there is a square building with glass viewing panel, and logs and bushes inside, for our breeding couple of komodo dragons (Varanus komodoensis) @Komodo99 and @Remuel , while near the signage of the dragons, there would be a small terrarium imbibbed into the wall and full of wet mosses and plants, where lives our Panamanian golden frog (Atelopus zeteki) @LizardInsanity .

"The endangered gallery would end in our last exhibit, Back to life. Thanks to our ultramodern technology we cloned two extinct species and an extinct subspecies successfully and became the first of start a breeding colony for one of them. We're aware that we cannot clone impossible species like speeding carnotaurs or champsosaur kings, but we can afford some the recently extinct ones from one or two centuries ago. So we already cloned a pack of four marsupial wolves, Tasmanian tigers or just thylacines (Thylacinus cynocephalus) to the joy of ThylacineAlive. Now we have a couple on exhibit: @Dandole93 and @djaeon, and a couple off exhibit for breeding purposes, @Saro and @TIGERMAN17 , but we rotate both couples from time to time. The exhibit is a hilly enclosure with various dens and full of tree ferns. The other clonated species are a kouprey (Bos sauvelii) called @jbnbsn99 that share its paddock with a quagga (Equus quagga) @Crowthorne , but we don't managed to clone more individuals of these... yet.

So now, that's it. I don't included ligers or zonkeys, caricature animals that don't represent species, jackalopes nor ducklings with a cat head, but despite that I think that would be a very enjoyable zoo if real, while the costs would be impossible to afford for any zoo.

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Dec 2018
  6. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Sorry, it's just that I don't know absolutely what species of bat are you!!! Now that you told me, I could add it, but it's too late for edit the South American precinct, or for doing a new section of the zoo, a Nocturnal House, taking scattered species from the other exhibits (kowaris, bushbabies, aye-ayes, barn owls...)

7. PaleoMatt

PaleoMatt Well-Known Member

Glad I made it :)

8. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member

I always thought he was a House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)... his avatar doesn't look like a Song Sparrow...

This is a very interesting zoo, very fun concept! We've got a number of fairly rare species around!

9. Scottish Wildcat

Scottish Wildcat Well-Known Member

I mean, call me twelve years old, but I kinda want to make the individual areas on Zoo Tycoon lmao

Great Argus likes this.
  10. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member

Will I feature in your zoo as some sort of 'human exhibit, @Kakapo?

I'm a lad, so I do best in a habitat that grows decent banter; and my preferred diet is Nandos. :cool:

Hipporex and TinoPup like this.
  11. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what it is, but it's not a Song Sparrow!

12. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member

Should I be upset there isn't room for a lonely quagga? :( (Seriously though, this has been a great thread @Kakapo I've really enjoyed it :) )

13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

That's a Morepork.

14. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Oh! I didn't checked it but to me it looked like some sort of American sparrow (emberizid) rather than a House sparrow (ploceid). At least it's not misplaced like the fanaloka!

Hey :D there is quite a number of selfportraits in Zoochat member board (including some quite attractive lads :D ) but our zoo will not comprise an human exhibit (as much, we can do that thing of the mirror that is done in some zoos, regarding "the most dangerous animal on Earth" (so true :( ). Anyway you would be not featured in there as you have a word instead a portrait (I also would not include a wild animal if the avatar is just the common or scientific name of it)

Oh, really is not a zonkey?? I tought I saw contrasting white forelegs in your pic.. If it's a quagga it can be housed in the kouprey enclosure!

Oh damn, I mistook it (despite having cared for a southern boobook). Yellow eyes. Right, it's the NZ species rather than the Australian one... They're so identical (they was considered the same species when I was younger) that I confused it. Sorry!

15. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

No worries mate; I was just taking you for a ride. :D;)

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

Depends on your definition of "identical" I suppose :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

Happy to edit that segment for you if you give me the text you want to insert and tell me where precisely to do so.

18. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member

Just want to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread, really shows the wide variety of animal interests on this forum!

Scottish Wildcat likes this.
  19. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member

Could maybe be Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina), but I still think it looks a good deal like a female House Sparrow. The picture is so small hard to tell exactly what it is...

Agreed, and a shame this thread comes just too late for thread of the year... It was just starting as submissions was closing... Would have readily voted for it.

TZDugong likes this.
  20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Can I have one too please.

Ps “Archie” ( my avatar ) is a Stimpsons python

Last edited: 18 Dec 2018