Join our zoo community

A zoo made with the avatars of Zoochatters!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Kakapo, 15 Dec 2018.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Can I please have one too?

2. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member

You realize you've asked that twice, right? This isn't a matter of getting a spot for yourself, its more of a "let's use this person's avatar!".

3. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member

A Kouprey friend sounds great for my quagga :) My avatar is a colour-tint from one of the few photos of a living quagga ever taken, a female at London Zoo

Quagga - Wikipedia

Last edited: 18 Dec 2018
    TinoPup likes this.
  4. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member

???

Brum likes this.
  5. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Hey, great, big thanks Dave! Then you can put the next quotes:

In the reply 56 (South American precinct) A zoo made with the avatars of Zoochatters!
    Change the last paragraph:

"Finally we find a big, densely planted, wired (except two glass viewing panels) enclosure, that is shared by a horned guan (Oreophasis derbianus) @carlos55 , a kinkajou (Potos flavus) @weez456, a couple of southern tamanduas (Tamandua tetradactyla) @blospz and @Juancho , and a muscovy duck (Cairina moschata) @KevinVar (should have been in the child farm, but I forgot to include and hence I will put with a very interesting companion despite being a domestic mutation!)"

By:
    Then we find a medium-sized, densely planted, wired (except a glass viewing panels) enclosure, that is the home of our horned guan (Oreophasis derbianus) @carlos55 . And last, we fin the small Nocturnal House, a building where we can see three glassed enclosures with reversed light cycle. First enclosure is relatively small and have two branches with many branchlets and a wooden nest box, for, a kinkajou (Potos flavus) @weez456 . Second is of the same size and is displayed as a cave with fake stalactites, here live ours spectral bat (Vampyrum spectrum) @Batto . And third is twice the size of the other enclosures and holds our couple of southern tamanduas (Tamandua tetradactyla) @blospz and @Juancho

And if you don't mind you can change also the next ones:
    In reply 1 (Child farm) A zoo made with the avatars of Zoochatters! add to the next paragraph:
    followed with a small open-top enclosure for two common rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus) @Beastking04 and @AshLin , a common poultry (Gallus gallus) @ajmcwhipsnade and a white domestic mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) @Quakerhead and a muscovy duck (Cairina moschata) @KevinVar

In reply 45 (Asian jungle) A zoo made with the avatars of Zoochatters! delete paragraph: "Inside this aviary there is a wired enclosure for our nice spotted linsang (Prionodon pardicolor) @twilighter (not confident on the ID?)"

In reply 31 (Madagascar), A zoo made with the avatars of Zoochatters! change the paragraph:

we will enter a small nocturnal house divided in two glassfronted enclosures, each one holding a couple of aye-ayes (Daubentonia madagascariensis), @AyeAye and @Falanouc in one and @renn23 and @Toddy in the other.

by:
    we will enter a small nocturnal house divided in two glassfronted enclosures, one of them holding three aye-ayes (Daubentonia madagascariensis), @AyeAye , @Daubentoniidae and @Falanouc , and in the other, two more aye-ayes @renn23 and @Toddy share their exhibit with a rare fanaloka (Fossa fossana) @twilighter .

In reply 40 (Polar region) A zoo made with the avatars of Zoochatters! please you can change:
    Here lives our four polar bears (Ursus maritimus), @Duerener1 , @sarahz911 , @Shirokuma and @snowleopard .

By:
    Here lives our three polar bears (Ursus maritimus), @Duerener1 , @sarahz911 and @Shirokuma . Passing this, there is an enclosure similar to the beluga one but with less depth of water and more land zone, for our breeding couple of walruses (Odobenus rosmarus) @The Walrus and @TheWalrus .

In reply 47 (Temperate forest) A zoo made with the avatars of Zoochatters! add to the last paragraph: Last precinct is a big paddock with rocks, trees and caves for our family of seven brown bears (Ursus arctos): @Gharialcroc233 , @Marga , @markun , @Nanook , @Nicole , @Shez and @Vulpes housed together with our Kermadec american black bear (Ursus americanus) @snowleopard

In reply 59 (Reptilarium) A zoo made with the avatars of Zoochatters! please add to the next paragraph: The right side would house the next terrariums: one with a ball python (Python regius) @oflory , next with a couple of Boelen's pythons (Morelia boeleni) @NigeW and @TheBiophilist98 , next with a cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorus) @d1am0ndback , next to an emerald tree boa (Corallus caninus) @forumbully , next to a green python (Morelia viridis) @Quartz92 , next to a Jameson's? green mamba (Dendroaspis jamesoni) @RFindlater , next to a king cobra (Ophiophagus hannah) @Tzofia , next to a forest cobra (Naja melanoleuca) @jayjds2 and last to a Stimson's python (Antaresia stimsoni) @Jake .

And finally in reply 65 (Back to life) A zoo made with the avatars of Zoochatters! you could change:

The endangered gallery would end in our last exhibit, Back to life. Thanks to our ultramodern technology we cloned two extinct species successfully and became the first of start a breeding colony for one of them. We're aware that we cannot clone impossible species like speeding carnotaurs or champsosaur kings, but we can afford some the recently extinct ones from one or two centuries ago. So we already cloned a pack of four marsupial wolves, Tasmanian tigers or just thylacines (Thylacinus cynocephalus) to the joy of ThylacineAlive. Now we have a couple on exhibit: @Dandole93 and @djaeon, and a couple off exhibit for breeding purposes, @Saro and @TIGERMAN17 , but we rotate both couples from time to time. The exhibit is a hilly enclosure with various dens and full of tree ferns. The other clonated species is a kouprey (Bos sauvelii) called @jbnbsn99 , but we don't managed to clone another... yet.

By:

"The endangered gallery would end in our last exhibit, Back to life. Thanks to our ultramodern technology we cloned two extinct species and an extinct subspecies successfully and became the first of start a breeding colony for one of them. We're aware that we cannot clone impossible species like speeding carnotaurs or champsosaur kings, but we can afford some the recently extinct ones from one or two centuries ago. So we already cloned a pack of four marsupial wolves, Tasmanian tigers or just thylacines (Thylacinus cynocephalus) to the joy of ThylacineAlive. Now we have a couple on exhibit: @Dandole93 and @djaeon, and a couple off exhibit for breeding purposes, @Saro and @TIGERMAN17 , but we rotate both couples from time to time. The exhibit is a hilly enclosure with various dens and full of tree ferns. The other clonated species are a kouprey (Bos sauvelii) called @jbnbsn99 that share its paddock with a quagga (Equus quagga) @Crowthorne , but we don't managed to clone more individuals of these... yet. "

Last edited: 18 Dec 2018
    Jambo likes this.
  6. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Yes you just showed in images how almost absolutely identical are both species, And you just choosed a southern boobook with closed eyes, and being the eye colour the only readily visible difference, second photo could pass perfectly by a morepork!

7. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Don't worry! I'm uninterested in make a debut for "thread of the year", and honestly I think that mine don't deserves a so high stand! I've voted for the Europe's 50 must see zoos, that certainly is in my opinion the best thread of the year, both by the effort and completeness put by the author, as by the extremely useful that is the thread for the average european zootraveler!

Great Argus likes this.
  8. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member

Mine is actually a West Indian whistling duck (Dendrocygna arborea), but I love all whistling ducks, so lesser whistling duck is perfectly cool with me. For rarity enthusiasts, it might actually be better. :p

9. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

These question marks means that you feel omitted of the exhibit? I explained already in the first paragraphs that I tried to be exhaustive but there are many users that are not featured, some because I didn't found them digging in the forum (for example a nice ocellated turkey that I found after finishing the thread), and some others just because I can't recognize the species featured in their avatar (such as spectral bats, the cobra of jayjds and the python of Jake... or your mammal, that now that you quoted the Madagascar thead, I realize that it's a narrow-striped mongoose, a species that I tought in when saw your avatar, but being unsure of the ID, I just didn't included in the exhibit.
    If TLD is not tired of editing and you really want so much to be featured, maybe he can include you too in the aye-aye house... then separating the fanaloka in an individual enclosure and putting you in another enclosure, so the house would have four enclosures, two for aye-ayes and one for each mongoose.

Mbwamwitu, TinoPup and Newzooboy like this.
  10. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Oops! I tought it was a lesser. Sorry! The shame is that is placed in an Asian aviary! It should go to the Tropical aviary or the Wetland, instead...

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

Done :)

So you cannot see the different colour/pattern to the plumage, nor the fact that the two species have different facial masks? :p Funnily enough, the two species actually have the same eye colour.

Kakapo likes this.
  12. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the edition work, dear Dave! :)

The pattern of plumage (at least the part that can be seen of it) and facial mask are exactly identical in your two photos, and I highly would doubt that anybody is not agree. The only difference in plumage that I can appreciate is the colour of the almost unnoticeable chin, more brownish in morepork and more whitish in southern boobok.

Southern boobook have brown eyes. This is the one that I've cared for:

Attached Files:

13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

I've seen a lot of Moreporks, and the lower photo of TLD looks nothing like one.

The eye colour of Southern Boobook varies from yellow or greenish-yellow through to brown, but the yellow end of the range is vastly more common than brown.

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  14. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member

Ta!

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Sorry about that, I put it twice without noticing.

ZooBinh likes this.
  16. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed this zoo does not have hundreds of elephant seals in the aquarium.

~Thylo

Last edited: 19 Dec 2018
  17. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member

I thought those were rocks!! :eek:

18. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member

Yes I upgraded from a Panay Bushy-Tailed Cloud Rat to rocks :p

I understand how one would see that, though.

~Thylo

ZooBinh likes this.
  19. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Honestly thought they were rocks. My mind has been blown.

20. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I knew that they were pinnipeds instead rocks, but I don't go further than that so logically I cannot include them.