Join our zoo community

"ABTA" for zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by OrangePerson, 5 May 2012.

1. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think anything that is licensed as a zoo should have to partake in an ABTA type scheme so that when they go belly-up the animals can be found new homes if them are not wanted by other zoos!

2. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Given travel operators have to pay to be in ABTA I'm not sure financially struggling (or other) zoos would want to add further to their costs given in the event of zoo failure other zoos already do the best they can to house the animals.

I'd say the chance of "zoo failure" resulting in animals not being found alternate homes in the last thirty or so years is rare.

Basically if zoos/"sanctuaries" have spare capacity they will endeavour to help as far as they can. Beyond that you can't really suggest zoos keep spare capacity "just in case" they needed to help out, costs would be massive.

It could be argued that the zoo should produce a business plan when applying for a zoo licence (maybe they do) but, from experience business plans are no guarantee of preventing failure and, like an ABTA-type membership, may just add a further layer of administrative costs without much tangible benefit.

3. OrangePerson

They might not 'want' to but I think it should be part of being able to trade as a zoo, they get all the animals, hope to make money from the business, they have a duty to provide for them long term.

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Given that many animals that we see may not be owned by the zoo that,we see them in.As I understand the loan agreement it is the owning zoo that is responseable,for looking after the animal,if the collection it is in closes for any reason.

5. OrangePerson

Fair enough for those animals!

6. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is normally no problem with other zoos taking animals. In the zoo world the cost of transport is paid by receiving zoo. Also, like Shorts, I think administrative cost will go against money for animals.

7. OrangePerson

I think the kind of zoos that at likely to go out of business will often have the kind of animals, eg one or two elderly chimps, that no one wants. These are the animals I mean, I'm sure it'd all be fine for the important potential breeders that would be wanted by other zoos.