Join our zoo community

Add any species to your local Zoo

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Nix, 28 Apr 2021.

1. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

If you could add any Specie to your local Zoo but can't build a new Exhibit what would it be? If possible please add a Photo of what the Exhibit currently looks like,a Description on how'll you change it and of coarse What the Specie would be.

For Example:

Joburg Zoo:

I'd add Douc langurs into the current Siamang Exhibit, add some more Climbing structures, add some more mock rocks, fill in the dry moat with water, maybe add a small waterfall and there you go a descent Douc Langur Exhibit!

(My Photo won't load)

JigerofLemuria and Diegooo like this.
  2. Diegooo

Diegooo Member

Hi! In my case, my local zoo is Cabarceno and I would add sable antelope that at the time there was already one in the current enclosure of giraffes, elands and ostriches. the venue is like this, and personally I wouldn't make many changes
    I can't upload the image

JigerofLemuria and Nix like this.
  3. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Sables are Gorgeous, :D

Diegooo likes this.
  4. Sphenisciologist

Sphenisciologist Well-Known Member

I would add Atlantic puffins to the Penguin & Puffin Coast at the STL Zoo.

Nix and Diegooo like this.
  5. Tyler

Tyler Member

I would add impala into the mixed animal African Safari species enclosure at the Toronto Zoo. I don't think I would make any changes other than just making it a bit smaller so that you can actually see the animals. I know my picture isn't of antelopes but this enclosure looks just like the other one.
    [​IMG]

TheGerenuk, Nix and Diegooo like this.
  6. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Stunning photo! also welcome to Zoochat ;)

Diegooo likes this.
  7. Tyler

Tyler Member

Thanks! I have been reading some of these threads for a while and decided to join.

Diegooo and Nix like this.
  8. marmoset23

marmoset23 Active Member

I would swap out the usually inactive lemurs on lemur island at the Smithsonian national zoo with gelada baboons and rock hyrax. Turn of the water fall so the primates and hyrax can have full use of the rocks.

Nix and Diegooo like this.
  9. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are you aware that they can hybridize with horned puffin?

Diegooo likes this.
  10. Neil chace

I'm aware some of these species are unrealistic, but:
    Capron Park Zoo- tasmanian devils in the old pig exhibit.

Buttonwood Park Zoo- spangled cotingas in the rainforest.

Roger Williams Park Zoo- maned wolves outside the rainforest building.

Franklin Park Zoo- polar bears in a new complex behind the bird house.

Stone Zoo- chinese goral in half of the markhor habitat (split it in two because its huge).

Diegooo and Nix like this.
  11. Sphenisciologist

that’s cool

12. Neil chace

Yes, but you would not want the two Puffin species in the same exhibit, as they would hybridize and give hybrid offspring. If they were to get atlantic puffins, horned puffins would need to be phased out first.

WalkingAgnatha likes this.
  13. Sphenisciologist

they could add a new exhibit for them, but yeah.

14. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

I just wanted to help keep this thread going, by saying that even if the place is technically a “nahtazu”. I would definitely be more than interested to see if Disney’s Animal Kingdom would ever add in some Sloth Bears. (Melursus ursinus sp.)

However, even if the Sloth Bear SSP hasn’t been so productive when it comes to cubs being born lately, and with the AZA’s long-term plan for the species could be cut short if this trend does continue on. I could still see them accepting at least one individual bear into their collection before introducing a second one in to breed with him or her, later on. Although, if they are even capable of simply housing sloth bears, I could easily see them being placed in a situation where they could rotate them weekly with their already present Sumatran Tigers between the two public enclosures that the park has already built for the latter species, so that way, Disney would not be able to spend too much money on the project, (given the way that it is currently going through,) and also, they would not have to worry one bit about creating an entirely new exhibit from scratch. (again saving some money.) Not to mention, that the fictional character Baloo is supposed to be a sloth bear in the first place, so there could definitely be some ways that Disney might potentially use, to help educate the general public to learn all about them. So overall, I could potentially (and hopefully) see Disney adding in some Sloth Bears into their already wonderful, species-diverse animal collection. I will also address that this decision could be a big win-win situation from all sides of the spectrum. Sure, you can say all of the things that you want to say about my plans and ideas, but I will remain confident in saying that this suggestion of mine is not impossible, but more-or-less an idea that could potentially come true in the following years to come, if that is to be the case.

~ @Austin the Sengi

Last edited: 25 Oct 2021
  15. Platypusboy

Platypusboy Well-Known Member

My local zoo is Helsinki zoo and i would love to have Himalayan tahr in the cliffside enclosures next to the markhor

Nix likes this.
  16. Randomname0183

Randomname0183 Well-Known Member

If I were to add any species to my local zoos, it would be as follows:

Bioparc Valencia: I would personally add cheetahs to the zoo, but taking shelter entrances into mind, there seems to be no space. However, lesser flamingoes in the current greater flamingo and pelican exhibit would also be nice

oceanografic: it would probably be between adding king or rockhopper to the Penguin exhibit, bringing in South American fur seals to go with the Patagonian sea lions, or northern fur seals with the Cali Sea Lions and Harbour seals (however the exhibit might be too small for them all)

JigerofLemuria, StoppableSan and Nix like this.
  17. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

I would like to add to my "home" zoo (Beauval, in France) one or two pairs of Spix Macaws.
    They are a very rare species, probably never displayed in France.
    Beauval (that was a bird park in its early years) has a large parrot collection, and is involved for few years in many conservation programs in South America.

Nix likes this.
  18. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bronx Zoo - Pygmy hippo
    Queens Zoo - jaguar
    Central Park Zoo - Chinese goral
    Prospect Park Zoo - Bennet's wallaby
    New York Aquarium - West Indian manatee
    Buffalo Zoo - Persian onager

19. Bisonblake

Bisonblake Well-Known Member

It's hard for me to choose for the Detroit Zoo, but I think I would add bonteboks to one of the large African exhibits. The only antelope species in the entire zoo are common elands and white-bearded wildebeests.

StoppableSan, Nix and evilmonkey239 like this.
  20. Zoo fanatic

Zoo fanatic Well-Known Member

Beardsley Zoo- I would add snow leopard in a new exhibit where the pronghorn used to be next to the red pandas.

Nix likes this.