Join our zoo community

Monarto Safari Park Adelaide Zoo hunting investors for Monarto safari park

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Simon Hampel, 9 Oct 2009.

1. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

bah - i'm calling zoos SA a public statutory zoo. sorry, but whoop-de-doo its exactly the same as taronga and melbourne zoos.

as for tarongas prices, i'll say it again - its just not comparably THAT good a zoo to be worth twice the price.

a lot of people comment on the amount of development at taronga. i agree, its happened fast, but in actual fact its not really more developed than that of melbourne. its got a **** hot view, i'll give it that. but then i had the same view out my old bedroom window when i lived in cremorne point.

taronga is not a crap zoo. but its a reflection of sydney - expensive and cheesy vs melbourne's cheaper and tasteful. ;)

2. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Technically the person in charge of Taronga and western plains Zoo is the NSW Minister for environment, or some title like that. The zoo is solely government funded. The Zoological Parks board is pretty much gone and is now the Taronga Conservation Society Australia.

ZoosSA is run by elected board, much like a trust or co-op.

Back to accommodation, It's a big income earner for a number of zoos, Zoofari Lodge is one of the biggest earner's at dubbo.

Just a side note on the food at Taronga, I believe the catering is providewd by contractors, could be wrong but that is the impression I got in a recent discussion.

3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ironically it's not even the most expensive in Australia. That dubious honour goes to Irwinland.... I mean, Australia Zoo.

4. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is correct. Obviously the contract goes to the contractor that gives the biggest kick back to the zoo. Contractors need to make a profit like any other business so, as they have captive customers, the quality of the food on sale deteriorates to allow them to increase their margin. As the contracor is locked in for a specified time there is little that can be done to improve the situation until it is time to renegotiate the contract. You will know when this time is near by the temporary improvement in the food quality!

Sim, if you wanted to visit one of the major Gold Coast parks you would not be allowed to take in your own meal.