Join our zoo community

Adelaide Zoo Adelaide Zoo may change its name

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Simon Hampel, 25 Aug 2011.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

The Adelaide Zoo may change its name | Adelaide Now

2. Electus Parrot

Electus Parrot Well-Known Member

I was reading this in the paper the other morning. Personally I think this is a waste of time, but also who wants their zoo to be called Conservation Ark? Conservation Ark could be anywhere in the world, while Adelaide Zoo everyone knows its from Adelaide.

3. Simon Hampel

I agree 100% on both counts - yes, it is a waste of time (and probably money!!) ... and yes, Adelaide Zoo is Adelaide's zoo. They should be proud of their heritage and just get about fixing the problem rather than playing silly games with "branding".

The brand is strong - they just need to deliver a better product (or deliver the same product more efficiently).

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This seems a fairly common- but pointless?- trend nowadays. In the UK Jersey Zoo changed its name to 'Durrell' and Marwell Z.P. became 'Marwell Wildlife'- anything to escape the dreaded word 'Zoo' or 'Zoological' it seems- as if they are ashamed of it.

I think over here most people still just refer to 'Jersey Zoo' or 'Marwell Zoo' and they probably will in Adelaide too.

5. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I loath the word "ark" in relation to zoos as - to me - it has religious undertones.

:p

Hix

6. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Im more concerned about the amount of money needed to change signage, websites etc

7. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In the early 1990s, the New York Zoological Park ("Bronx Zoo") was re-named the "International Wildlife Conservation Park.". Much money was expended changing entry signage etc. Not too surprisingly, this "re-branding" failed to catch on, and slowly the dreaded "B" and "Z" crept back into use. Just a few years ago, with great fanfare, the park was officially declared to be the "Bronx Zoo", which of course had always been the popular nickname for the place. But now it's official!

The zoo's first director vigorously opposed the use of the vernacular "Bronx Zoo" instead of the formal "Zoological Park" moniker, and its longest-tenured director attempted to re-name it a "Conservation Park" in part because he felt that "Bronx Zoo" a combined two negatives! This did not make him popular with local politicians or with linguists.

8. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think you will find that this quasi-announcement is a 'weather balloon' to test the reaction of the public. Part of my work involves tracking coverage and reaction to different branding, and this came up during the week. I doubt it will happen.

9. zooman64

zooman64 Well-Known Member

I still refer to "Jersey Zoo" rather than "Durrell", and "Marwell Zoo" rather than "Marwell Wildlife". Other name changes in Britain I don't agree with are: Africa Alive! (the old Suffolk Wildlife Park), "Wild Britain" (Bedford Butterfly Park), and the quite awful "Wild Futures" (Woolly Monkey Sanctuary). With a name with "zoo", or "monkey sanctuary", or "wildlife park", or "butterfly park", in it, people know what to expect, but these modern names give no clue. At least Paignton Zoo in re-branding itself as "Paignton Zoo Environmental Park" retained the word "zoo" in its title, but I wonder how many ordinary visitors use the full name. Not many, I bet.

10. Pelzy05

Pelzy05 Member

Conservation Ark

Hi Guys

Im currently undergoing year 12 and studying Tourism, For my major studies worth 25% I'm looking at a tourism issue, what I'm focusing on is the Adelaide Zoo name change to the Conservation Ark.

What I need to know is what are the advtantages/disadvantages of changing the name, does anyone know anything about it?

Also I will be creating a survey in a few days which I will post on this forum and if anyone could answer it, it would be great.

Also If anyone could write on a reply what they think of the proposed name change that would be great.

11. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

12. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

You're welcome. ;)

13. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry Hix - this now gets my vote for the best post of the year!!!!!

14. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Look at the history of the Bronx Zoo changing its name to "The Wildlife Conservation Park" whenever that was (early 1990s I think). It sounds like exactly what is happening here. It is now "Bronx Zoo" again as the name change seems to have been universally ignored by the public and a classic case of marketing non-genius. See also the history of "New Coke". Good luck with your project.

15. Pelzy05

Pelzy05 Member

Conservation Ark

Thanks Guys :)

16. Simon Hampel

Adelaide Zoo urged not to change name

Adelaide Zoo urged not to change name - Business - News - City North Messenger

17. Simon Hampel

Council assured Adelaide Zoo won't change name

Council assured Adelaide Zoo won't change name - Business - News - City North Messenger

18. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looks like reason has won out. It is a perfect name - no need to change.

There are several around the world that should change their name, however. What I really find annoying is when zoos have names that are too long. They should all be two words (Adelaide Zoo, Bronx Zoo, etc). Three words is ok only if they are named after a two word city (Fort Worth Zoo, Los Angeles Zoo) or after the park they are in (Reid Park Zoo, Cameron Park Zoo). Four words or more are just too awkward to say in normal conversation. Perhaps the worst named zoo (which ironically is an outstanding facility) is Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. Not only is it too long (all us locals simply call it "the desert museum") but it is not a museum, it is a zoo and botanical park. Just ridiculously misnamed.

19. Electus Parrot

Electus Parrot Well-Known Member

Agreed, but for some reason I have always liked 'zoological park' for places such as Monarto Zoo (abbreviated from Monarto Zoological Park). I am very pleased that the zoo is not changing its name, too much history to change it now.

20. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Here in Australia there are examples that go either way. I would say the following are names that break your rules and yet work just fine:
    - Ballarat Wildlife Park (and most other 'Wildlife Park' names)
    - Australian Reptile Park
    - Alice Springs Desert Park
    - National Zoo and Aquarium
    - Werribee Open Range Zoo

Then there are some howlers as well:
    - Taronga Western Plains Zoo
    - Cairns Wildlife Safari Reserve
    - Crocodylus Park and Zoo
    - Brisbane's Alma Park Zoo
    - The simply abominably named 0z.e.Wildlife