Join our zoo community

Adelaide Zoo Adelaide Zoo may change its name

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Simon Hampel, 25 Aug 2011.

1. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Not sure why Brisbanes Alma Park zoo is a problem. It is just Alma Park Zoo, named after the locality it is in. Mind you they will need to change their name next year

2. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

On the subject of names...

I started watching the Roar TV show recently. It's filmed at Howletts and Port Lympne and although it's a children's programme I find very interesting.

These establishments call themselves wildlife parks which is fine.

But there seems to be a complete ban on the use of the word 'zoo' in the programme and this drives me mad.

They talk about animals taking part in breeding programmes going to other 'parks' and even called Colchester Zoo 'a park in Colchester'.

I wonder if this is part of the Howletts-Port Lympne delusion that they aren't like other zoos and was a condition they insisted on... It seems ridiculous that they wouldn't even call Colchester Zoo a zoo.

3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think the 'Brisbane's' is unnecessary. People who visit the zoo are well aware that they are in Brisbane, and I doubt that the prefix makes more people aware of the place. I also included it with half an eye on next year. 'Logan's Alma Park Zoo' is surely a) a misnomer and b) a missed opportunity to re-brand the business. Just call it Logan Zoo.

4. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

When they move to Logan they really wouldnt be able to call themselves Alma Park as Alma Park is a locality in the north of Brisbane. As to why they put Brisbane at the start (which I agree is not nessecary) I think it is because a lot of people dont realise that Alma park is an actual place. Not quite a suburb though.