Join our zoo community

Adelaide Zoo Adelaide Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'Australia' started by BennettL, 3 Jan 2017.

1. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Adelaide Zoo's sole Binturong, 18 year old male Perak has been euthanised, an announcement on Facebook reads:

I hope Adelaide will persevere with this species and import some from Singapore or elsewhere in the near future.

3. BennettL

Huge loss for the zoo.Vale Perak.They should import more as they are a popular specie in Aus.Hopefully next time a breeding pair will be imported and the pitter patter of tiny binturong feet can be heard in the not so near future.

BennettL

4. BennettL

Adeilade zoo's baby baboon has been named Djibouti prounced 'Je-boo-te'.

BennettL

5. BennettL

Adelaide zoo has announced the passing of a 24 year old baboon grandmother Gina.Gina had been suffering lots of arthritis issues lately and it has been effecting her mobility.Gina was grandmother to recent born baboon baby Djibouti.Vale Gina.

BennettL

6. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is Djibouti the offspring of Chappi (also mother to Tomkay)? How many females does Adelaide have now?

7. BennettL

Yes Chappi is the mother of Tomkay and Djibouti.Adeilade is now left with Horus (the father of Tomkay and Djibouti),Chappi (who was daughter to Gina),Tomkay and Djibouti.No other female apart from Chappi.

BennettL

8. Zoofan15

I must be Melbour o have the

Oh yes, it was Melbourne Zoo I’m thinking of, who have the larger group and received a few females from Wellington Zoo.

Do you know if (and how) the two founder males of Auckland’s troop are related to the baboons at Adelaide (their birthplace)?

9. BennettL

Yes they are.I think their mother was Gina.I'll need to do a bit more reaserch.Afar and Wasaro,as they are named are I think daughters of Gina too.Which will make them related to Chappi and Gina.

BennettL

10. Zoofan15

Thanks, any info would be great. I get the impression there were multiple females in the troop at Adelaide previously as this article refers to mothers and sisters:

Naughty baboons being shipped to Auckland Zoo

I'm guessing Gina was the mother (and Chappi the sister) of one of them....

11. BennettL

That's what I'm thinking too.It doesn't state about any other baboons that lived their.There may have been other females though.Makes me think there had to have been a father.I am guessing that they are brothers of Chappi and sons to Gina.If anyone has any other information it could be good help.

BennettL

12. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The two male baboons, Afar and Wasaro, are the sons of Gina (deceased) and Gen (now at Perth Zoo) and the previous male Jarmar. I believe Jarmar died, but I don't have any information. At the time, Adelaide Zoo's troop also included an older male, Coomba (now deceased) and another female, Grimus (Perth Zoo). Since then, there have been difficulties in forming a larger group, which is a real shame. I believe Tomkay bullying females has been a problem.

BennettL likes this.
  13. BennettL

Thanks for that info Soona.Is there any chance Gen,Gina and Grimus are related.Jarmar must have died or exported between 2004-2007 that would explain why only three baboons have been born in his time since Gina and supposedly the other females arrived in 2001.Do you mean 2 year old Bub Tomkay or was it just a mistake.

BennettL

14. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jarmar died/was exported after 2007. Afar and Wasaro were, I believe, born in 2005 or 2006. Yes, two year old Tomkay has caused problems; it doesn't seem he receives any discipline and bullies lower ranked members of the group who receive no support from Horus. Tomkay is a bit of a spoiled brat! Hopefully he'll be taken down a peg or two by the arrival of Djibouti.

15. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Would importing some new bloodlines from European collections be of help in the regions baboon population

16. BennettL

They would be a help for the Australasion breeding program but their is already a diversity of bloodlines that are already being represented in Australasia.

BennettL

17. BennettL

Adeilade zoo say on their Facebook page that Fu-ni their female giant panda is experiencing a pseudo-pregnancy or a pregnancy after showing signs she has been pregnant in the last month.Fingers crossed.

BennettL

18. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are you sure about the diversity of the bloodlines in the region for Baboons?, there is only one zoo that I know of in resent times that have imported fresh bloodlines into the region!

19. Zoofan15

Hopefully 2017 will be their year. To my knowledge, it will be the first giant panda birth in the Southern Hemisphere, and of course an Australasian first.

The panda's ten year loan will take them up to 2019 and due to financial reasons, I doubt Adelaide will opt to extend the loan, especially if they still haven't had success in breeding them by then.

Adelaide Zoo is to be complimented though on exhibiting giant panda, the first zoo to do so in the region for a period of time and therefore giving many people a once in a lifetime chance to see these animals.

20. Zoofan15

Thank you BennetL and soona for your information regarding the Hamadryas baboons. It sounds like they had quite a large troop back in the 2000s.

Tomkay is clearly causing issues and was obviously quite a problem for Gina before her death.

Hamadryas baboons have a unique social structure where, unlike other baboons subspecies, they are cross bonded (male to female bonds are stronger than female to female bonds) and have no matrilineal hierarchy (mother’s status is independent of daughter’s status) so Gina probably received little support from her daughter Chappi as they were more like rivals than family.

Hamdryas baboon form one male units (OMU) consisting of an adult male and 3-4 females. It’s quite possible when the group was larger, that Jarmar was the head of a OMU, and Coomba the head of another OMU since there were at least 4 females (probably more). If Gina was in Jarmar’s OMU, Chappi could easily have ended up in Coomba’s which would have further isolated the mother-daughter dyad.