Join our zoo community

Adelaide Zoo Adelaide Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'Australia' started by BennettL, 3 Jan 2017.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not sure if he was parent or handraised sorry. He arrived at Adelaide on 23rd February 2001 - he replaced Lari (Kemiri's brother from a different litter) who departed for Mogo the same week that Tiger-Boy arrived

2. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for that info! I wonder where the estimated 24 years came from...

3. Nisha

The current oldest Sumatran Tiger in Australia (if still alive) will be Juara at Dubbo - born 26/10/1995

4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's interesting, so Adelaide Zoo could have essentially imported a male or a female to breed with either Kemiri (1994) or Lari (1995). I guess the studbook keeper correctly assessed Kemiri as a greater priorty to breed, with her turning 7 in 2001 and only having another 5 reproductive years and decided to relegate Lari to a non reproductive situation for the time being, given he was a male and could (and did produce cubs into old age). It's a shame Tiger Boy and Kemiri never bred. The easy assumption to make is that this was because Kemiri was handraised but I believe they got on well and some mating did occur. Kemiri's mother, Selatan, has some reproductive issues (often passed on along matrilineal lines) so maybe Kemiri did too.

5. Zoofan15

Have his littermates, Lari and Ramalon, passed away?

I was surprised to learn recently that Lari is an Indonesian name. I'd always assumed it was a version of Larry.

6. Nisha

I believe Ramalon is still alive. Don't know about Lari - it's difficult to get information out of Mogo compared to some zoos. So they'd be joint oldest

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

PAT and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. Zoofan15

Health Scare for Lioness Yizi

Lioness sparks panic at Adelaide Zoo after growing a mane

A star attraction at Adelaide Zoo has had an urgent medical check after an unusual physical change sparked concern – ‘Yizi’, the lioness, had grown a mane.

Adelaide Zoo veterinarians gave Yizi a thorough check-up after they noticed more fur on her neck.

“We started to notice that Yizi started to grow a bit more fur around her neck, it was like she was starting to grow a mane, which is obviously not a normal thing for a lioness,” vet David McLelland told 9NEWS.

Zoo staff believe Yizi may be growing a mane due to higher-than-normal testosterone levels, which could potentially indicate a serious health problem.

“The testosterone that is being produced in her body, there’s every chance that is being produced by a tumour,” they said.

The 16-year-old lioness has been examined from tooth to tail and has also had an ultrasound.

“We had a good look at her teeth, her eyes, her ears, all her claws. We’ve got blood samples to look into her hormones, specifically testosterone,” Dr McLelland said.

The results of Yizi’s blood tests will be available in a couple of days and will give the zoo a better insight into her health.

“Depending on what we find there, and based on our findings today, there's every chance we'll get hands back on her to do another procedure to remove any potential mass that could be causing those problem,” Dr McLelland said.

Hopefully this turns out to be nothing of concern after Adelaide Zoo losing so many high profile animals in the last couple of years including Karta, Miss C and Kemiri this year.

Yizi was born May 2001 at Auckland Zoo and was originally named Amali. She gave birth to 2.1 cubs at Adelaide Zoo in 2004. Her mother Kura (Auckland Zoo) and littermates Amira (Auckland Zoo), Kuchami (Hunter Valley Zoo) and Kutaza (Adelaide Zoo) are all still alive and in good health for their age.

Last edited: 14 Jul 2017
  9. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Very sad news of Susie the Hippo being put to sleep at the age of 49 a big loss for the zoo

10. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Sad news indeed, further details were provided in the following article on Adelaide Zoo's website: Adelaide Zoo farewells Susie

11. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

"Together, the remarkable pair welcomed six calves, with their three-year-old granddaughter Zawadi keeping Susie’s incredible legacy alive at Werribee Open Range Zoo in Victoria." which of Werribee's hippos does this refer to? the 2 breeding mothers @ WORZ would be quite old now....

12. Zorro

I would hope a IRA would be done sooner for Hippos rather than later as most of whats left now in the country are quite aged it would be a big loss to the open range zoos if we were to lose the species!

13. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

14. Zoofan15

Fully agree with you there. It's sad there are no longer any in New Zealand, especially when you consider they were at Auckland Zoo from the 1920s and bred well over the years. It'd be good to see them in the country again, at least at Auckland Zoo, Orana Wildlife Park and possibly Hamilton Zoo. Wellington Zoo arguably doesn't have the space.

How many are in Australia? It seems there's been quite a few calves born in the last few years (at least three or four?) though I'm guessing they're closely related.

Also, they're referring to Susie as having had 6 calves. She actually had 15 calves so I'm guessing the 6 must be either the 6 currently surviving offspring, or the only 6 that survived beyond infancy?

15. Zorro

Unsure of the current numbers in the country but Western plains and Werribee are about the last strong hold left as far as I know, The only female I believe which is still breeding at Dubbo would be the female owned by Seaworld which was the only one retained from the group exported to Bali from Mareeba I feel the ZAA should of taken them plus the Pygmys they also had, A big loss I feel!

16. Zoofan15

I was just looking at an article from 2011 which listed these females:

Werribee Open Range Zoo:

1) Primrose (now aged 27)
    2) Brindabella (now aged 27)
    3) Tulip (now aged 14)
    4) Lotus (now aged 9)

Taronga Western Plains Zoo:

1) Nile (now aged 18)

Are these five females still in the region?

Does anyone know the names, genders and ages off any calves born in the region since 2011? Lotus (aged 3 years in 2011) was listed as the youngest Common Hippopotamus at the time.

The article said that the oldest dam to reproduce was 45 years so the five females listed above should have a fair few reproductive years ahead of them.

17. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

the 4 listed at WORZ are still there with another younger daughter of (I think) Primrose - they have 5 females in 2 groups - the 2 older mothers didn't get on with each other, so they're each kept with their own daughters. But yes, all 5 certainly have plenty of breeding potential for a while.... if only a male was available.

18. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there are only three males left in Australia: the one at Adelaide and two at TWPZ.

19. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Primrose, Brindabella, Tulip and Lotus are all still at Werribee, and so is Pansy (Brindabella's daughter) who is now aged approx. 3 years old. I'm a volunteer at WORZ and I can confirm that this is the current state of affairs.

20. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The youngest female, Pansy, is Brindabella's daughter. Brindabella and Pansy live together, while Lotus, Primrose and Tulip live together in the other enclosure.