Join our zoo community

Adelaide Zoo Adelaide Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jambo, 5 Jan 2019.

1. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Adelaide has just announced that by the middle of this year they will no longer have giraffes. Adelaide have found a home for Kimya and Dharba already but they are in negotiations with the ‘Australian’ facility at this time being. Along with phasing out their giraffes Adelaide have also announced that they will either phase out their pair of Sea lion’s or build a new enclosure for them by the end of the year:

No Cookies | The Advertiser

StoppableSan, marmolady and Zorro like this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That’s a shame. There seems to have become a trend of the smaller city zoos (Taronga, Adelaide etc.) holding small non breeding herds; with their open range sister zoos holding larger breeding herds. Taronga Zoo bred many giraffe calves throughout the 20th century (from memory around 90) but have had no calves born there since 1992. Now Adelaide Zoo have taken things one step further by phasing the species out altogether. We know Taronga Zoo won’t follow (they’ve announced plans for a savannah featuring giraffes); but let’s hope Adelaide’s decision doesn’t get other institutions thinking....(Melbourne Zoo, Wellington Zoo etc.)

Of course I don’t disagree that open range zoos aren’t the best place for large breeding herds, but zoo’s like Wellington (whose previous exhibit was only suitable for two adult giraffes), held a 1.1 pair, with offspring exported as they matured. Relatively frequent giraffe calves from this pair were no doubt a far bigger draw card for visitors than an adult non breeding pair/trio could ever be.

StoppableSan and Jambo like this.
  3. Jambo

The phasing out of these Giraffes did came as a suprise to me and probably everyone else. The reason for exporting them is to make way for enclosure’s for more new species (Part of Adelaide’s masterplan), considering the space that Adelaide zoo is in is almost full because the zoo is situated on relatively small space of 20 acres.

One thought that wonders in mind is that Melbourne was recently attempting to breed their giraffes up until their bull, Makulu passed away in October. They remain with Two females: One post breeding and one breeding. It’ll be interesting to see if they import another male to breed or just become a non breeding holder like most other City zoo’s are.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  4. Zoofan15

That’s true; and in fairness to Adelaide they do have plans to import Sri Lankan leopard and Komodo dragon, both exciting new options. I still think it’s a shame they’ve phased out Malayan sun bear however, they were a good addition to the Southeast Asian theme.

I agree it’ll be interesting to see where Melbourne Zoo go with giraffe. Nakuru likely isn’t highly desirable for breeding though, considering her genetics. Both her father and mother descend from well represented lines; her brother Forrest has sired multiple calves at Australia Zoo; and her younger sister has just been joined by a male at Orana Wildlife Park for breeding.

StoppableSan and Jambo like this.
  5. Jambo

Adelaide also have plans for Gorilla too!

It’ll be interesting to see where Kimya and Dharba go. There a lots of zoo’s out there that are possibilities. Where do you think they’ll go?

6. Zoofan15

Of course! It’ll be great to see another Zoo holding gorillas. Though ironic considering they phased out chimps from most city zoos due to a lack of space.

Australia Zoo have bred several of their females multiple times now so maybe they’ll swap Kimya and Dharba with two of them. Or Melbourne Zoo may import them to create an all female herd of four. What do you reckon?

Jambo likes this.
  7. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I find this section of the article the most interesting, “However, he said that the zoo, which has recently been fully accredited by the Zoos and Aquarium Association of Australasia, wants more for the animals.”
    I wonder what newly-accredited zoo will recieve them in the future? Sydney Zoo?

8. Jambo

I’d say Melbourne zoo is a possibility. They have enough space to hold giraffes and it would solve the problem of what to do with Nakuru after Twiga’s death in the future. I think Taronga zoo might also be interested in the two of them alongside Darling Downs, Mogo zoo and the new Sydney zoo.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  9. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A wise move I believe since it is only a tiny zoo I believe Adelaide would be better off keeping smaller more endangered species and leave the really large animals to Monarto zoo

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Their choice of new additions and attractions is probably a wiser move for the restricted city space it has for the zoo.

Jambo, marmolady and Zorro like this.
  11. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Perhaps a collection like Jersey zoo would be ideal more focus on the smaller and more endangered species in a small city zoo

Goura and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  12. Zoofan15

Re. the decision to phase out giraffe at Adelaide Zoo.

I found this news article from nearly four years ago, which suggests this has been on the cards for a while:

No Cookies | The Advertiser

I’m also wondering if they’re planning to phase out their lions as mentioned in this article. They have a 14 year old male and an 18 year old female so perhaps upon her death, they will consider options of what to do with the male and then focus on importing Sri Lankan leopard.

13. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are no plans to phase out lions. Lions will be housed in a much larger exhibit as part of the 'Into Africa' precinct that is to include gorillas, black & white colobus, pygmy hippopotamus, and mandrill. This precinct is planned to make use of the area stretching from the current giraffe exhibit to the current lion exhibit. As per the master plan, lions are expected to remain at Adelaide Zoo for the foreseeable.

Jambo, Kifaru Bwana, AWP and 3 others like this.
  14. Zoofan15

That’s good news @marmolady. It’s hard to imagine Adelaide without lions (or the patronage of Ms Alexander).

Last I heard the lion and lioness were in together? Can anyone confirm if this is still the case?

15. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

A good move with the giraffes, and a pity the lions are staying. With Dubbo/Sydney I get it, but I really think all the partnered zoos that are so close to each other generally don't need to double up on most of their species. I understand that lions are a big drawcard, but so are tigers and, you know, pandas. Plus, surely you want to encourage people to visit both zoos, and Monarto has a world-class lion exhibit.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. Zoofan15

You do make a good point when you compare the exhibit at Monarto, which is possibly the best lion exhibit I have seen in a zoo with Adelaide’s, which is very dated; and of course points of difference would encourage some people to visit both, but to use Hamilton Zoo as an example:

Auckland Zoo and Hamilton Zoo are 1 hour and 30 minutes apart (there is a similar distance of just under 1 hour between Adelaide and Monarto Zoo). Auckland Zoo has lions and tigers; Hamilton Zoo has just tigers. Visitor surveys have revealed time and time again that what people want to see at Hamilton Zoo are lions. They could visit them at Auckland Zoo and accept that Hamilton Zoo has things Auckland Zoo doesn’t, like Chimpanzee and Brazilian tapir; but they don’t - the majority of visitors (who’s primary interests are ABC megafauna) want to see lions. Hamilton Zoo have since added them to their masterplan.

Auckland and Hamilton Zoos aren’t sister zoos, so while the reason to base their collection on what the other has is less valid than it would be for Adelaide (based on Monarto); it illustrates the popularity of lions and the public demand to see them. Tigers are naturally elusive and given the choice, will often hide from public view; lions are naturally more confident and confronting, which make them more engaging for the general public. Not to mention they are social and can be displayed in groups (the odds of seeing one animal out of a pride of lions doing something are higher than of seeing a single tiger doing something).

While I don’t disagree the lion’s accomodation is in need of a complete overhaul; keeping this species at Adelaide seems like a smart financial move to me.

Jambo, marmolady and Zorro like this.
  17. Zoofan15

18. WhistlingKite24

Fu Ni’s pregnancy window has passed for the season. This was the fifth genuine breeding attempt Adelaide Zoo has made with their Giant Pandas. As the 10 year loan agreement for their Giant Pandas ends in November 2019, Adelaide Zoo will fully support an extension of the loan agreement, however it remains in the hands of the Australian Government.
    Adelaide Zoo

Last edited: 13 Feb 2019
    Jambo likes this.
  19. Jambo

Hopefully the government will agree with an extension of the loan. One would hope that Adelaide will be given another chance. :confused: Do you know how old they are?

20. WhistlingKite24

Wang Wang was born in 2005 and Fu Ni was born in 2006.
    Giant Panda Facts - Adelaide Zoo

Jambo likes this.