Join our zoo community

Adelaide Zoo Adelaide Zoo Updates 24th December 2010

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Electus Parrot, 24 Dec 2010.

1. Animalgeek

Animalgeek Well-Known Member

Does any body no the other names of the baboons I have found

Coomba - i think i heard that he died (can any one confirm this)
    Jamar
    Wasaro - gone to Auckland
    Afar - gone to Auckland

Chappi
    Gen
    Gina
    Grimus

Are theree any more and when was the last birth cheers.

2. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes, Coomba passed away back in 2009.
    Another male, Horus from Rockhampton Zoo came to Adelaide in 2010.

3. Animalgeek

Animalgeek Well-Known Member

thanks heaps soona so when was the last brith and how many females are still there are there still gen gina grimus and chappi

4. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

the mandrills ended up in launceston

5. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Tassie Zoo has ended up with a lot of unwanted primates and has now got the best collection of old world monkeys in the country. Mandrills, colobus, Sulawesi crested macaque, De Brazza's monkeys and lion-tailed macaques are all down there.

6. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Thank heavens SOMEONE is still keeping these interesting but apparently unfashionable primates in Australia!

It seems that when it comes to primates the big zoos are only interested in apes.

7. Coquinguy

Agreed. I am excited by the return to lemurs to Taronga in a 'proper' exhibit after nearly a decade of Taronga's primate exhibits consisting of chimps, gorillas, some hard to see orangs and a single gibbon, old spider monkeys, on again/off again guenons and a 'back of swamp' tamarins exhibit. At least now there are some langurs and WC gibbons too (since Wild Asia's opening) and now lemurs again.
    I just cant understand why it is so hard to get some decent holdings of a diverse range of primates going in Australia.

8. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Primates, dogs and cats are the three groups of animals that aren't troublesome to bring into the region for quarentine reasons. I would love to see more of an effort in showing the divirsity of these groups.

9. Coquinguy

Definitely Jay. Im not advocating a hell for leather importation of new species, but particularly in light of many of the smaller private zoos coming 'on-line' with suitable housing, I think a bit more commitment from the larger zoos could see a few more species sustainably established.
    I think that some of the bigger zoos such as taronga zoo could help support a few more species, and would like to see some of the new exhibits designed to cater for larger species numbers. In addition, if Taronga was ever able to build a new orang facility, the existing orang enclsoure would make a very adaptable facility for housing additional primates as holding requirements changed and could be used to help support greater numbers as part of species management plans.