Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Adventure Africa, Coming in 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 26 Jan 2017.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know the future complex has already been discussed a lot on the Milwaukee zoo thread, but I figured I should start a thread dedicated to the new project.

Pardon Our Dust as We Make Way for BIG Changes! | Milwaukee County Zoo

Coming in Spring/Summer 2018, Adventure Africa! The Milwaukee County zoos first major development in over 20 years. Replacing the now demolished former moose, sandhill crane, wolf, and brown bear exhibits. This multi acre complex will give new and improved homes to animals already in the zoo, as well as bring in a few new species joining the collection. These species include new and expanded mix-species habitats for bongo, impala, zebra, and the new addition of yellow backed duikers. The centerpiece of the complex however, will be the 5 acre African elephant exhibit. The zoos current pair, Ruth and Brittney, will move here, along with other female elephants and several bulls. The zoo hinted at the expansion back in 2012, but made it official in 2016 when they announced that the previously mentioned North American species will be moved to a different location. These exhibits have been completely torn down early this year. The cranes now live with the caribou, the brown bear will rotate with the black bears after hibernation, the moose and lone wolf are being held behind the scenes until they pass on, or are sent to a different location. The Australia building will also soon be demolished in the Spring to make room for the new addition. The official ground breaking will be held in the Spring, where the official concept art, design details, and final unannounced features will most likely be reveled. Hopefully the much criticized Milwaukee county zoo will finally have a real outstanding exhibit.

2. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member