Join our zoo community

Advice on Visiting Zoos in Egypt

Discussion in 'Egypt' started by Rhinoceros, 20 Jun 2011.

1. Rhinoceros

Rhinoceros Member

Hi,

Going to Egypt this summer and would like some advice on the Zoos there. Looking at the Gallery I wonder if it's even worth it?

Are there any Egyption wolves in in captivity there? Anything else to lookout for?

Thank you

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

3. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Hi Rhinoceros,

I'm in Egypt at the moment, whereabouts will you be going?

Conditions in Egyptian zoos are mixed, but generally unacceptable. If you think that seeing the animals in sub-standard conditions will bother you too much, then it's probably not worth it. I tend to look for cheap ways to improve the current conditions and discuss some of them with a senior director at the end of my visit. You may wish to do the same. Both the Giza and Alexandria zoos are quite easy to access, but those in small towns and along the desert roads require private transport. Architecture in both these zoos is quite impressive, with the lion house in Alexandria and the gardens, bridges and pavilions in Giza being particular highlights for me. Egyptian zoos are notorious for offering hands-on experiences, ranging from hyena and lion petting to elephant rides and playing with baby chimpanzees. You can also feed most of the animals if you want. Most visitors find their zoo visits enriched by these experiences, and enjoy getting so close to the animals. Again, if this is something that will bother you, it's probably better not to visit.

Collection-wise, I believe that there are also Egyptian wolves in El-Arish, and potentially still in Faiyum too, but be aware that a large proportion of captive animals are likely to have some domestic dog blood. I find the reptile houses are also very good for rare animals; their changing collection lists over the past few years have included many Egyptian tortoises, native lizards and snakes (with some magnificent desert vipers and various cobras), jerboas, turtles, large monitors, a selection of crocodilians and Giza houses a very large radiated tortoise. I can give you more specific collection details if you let me know where you'd like to go, and I hope to visit Alexandria Zoo within the next week, so I can update you after that if you like. Meantime, A browse of the gallery and a look on ISIS (for Giza) should give you a fair idea of what's around.

Good luck making your decision!

Last edited: 22 Jun 2011
  4. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I did indeed visit the zoo earlier this week; my visit on Monday was cut short so I went again on Tuesday to take a good look around. Overall, I recommend against a visit to Alexandria Zoo this summer. I’ve put more details down in the Alexandria Zoo thread.
    I also visited the Alexandria Aquarium this week. The main display area has been completely renovated and now looks a lot cleaner. Many tanks have been merged, resulting in fewer, more pleasant, displays. With the exception of the large loggerhead turtle which remains in a small pool by the entrance, conditions for most animals seem to have vastly improved. Most of the rarer species have been replaced, and there are not many species to be seen which aren’t commonly kept in aquaria worldwide, with exceptions including a single silverside blaasop. This place is maybe worth a quick visit if you’re nearby, but I don’t recommend taking much of a detour. Hope that helps.